DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   I made a bowl! (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/367865-i-made-bowl.html)

[email protected] February 15th 14 08:21 PM

I made a bowl!

Or is it a tray. Anyway it was fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okwhl-yNKCU

[email protected] February 15th 14 11:05 PM

I made a bowl!

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 2:21:03 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Or is it a tray. Anyway it was fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okwhl-yNKCU

Nice! I used to do some amateur wood working but nothing like that. After the table saw "oops, brain fart" I kinda lost interest (and a finger). I do appreciate nice work though!

Bill[_47_] February 15th 14 11:11 PM

I made a bowl!

wrote:
On Saturday, February 15, 2014 2:21:03 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Or is it a tray. Anyway it was fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okwhl-yNKCU
Nice! I used to do some amateur wood working but nothing like that. After the table saw "oops, brain fart" I kinda lost interest (and a finger). I do appreciate nice work though!

It was a nice interesting video! I liked its quick pace.

Gramps' shop February 15th 14 11:30 PM

I made a bowl!

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 2:21:03 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Or is it a tray. Anyway it was fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okwhl-yNKCU

Very nice, Brian. Now you need to get a lathe and really turn out some bowls.

Larry

Mike Marlow[_2_] February 16th 14 01:26 AM

I made a bowl!

wrote:
Or is it a tray. Anyway it was fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okwhl-yNKCU

Brian - you waste so much walnut with your oversized cuts - but fear not,
because I'm right here behind ya brother. Just send all those cutoffs to me
and I'll put 'em to some use.

Oh yeah - nice tray.

--

-Mike-

[email protected] February 16th 14 02:03 AM

I made a bowl!

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 6:30:55 PM UTC-5, Gramps' shop wrote:
On Saturday, February 15, 2014 2:21:03 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Or is it a tray. Anyway it was fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okwhl-yNKCU

Very nice, Brian. Now you need to get a lathe and really turn out some bowls.

Larry

Yes! I agree 100%. That'll be my next big purchase. I keep drooling over the Powermatic 3520B. I need to convince my wife that I "need" that much lathe. :)

[email protected] February 16th 14 02:07 AM

I made a bowl!

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 8:26:43 PM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:
wrote:

Or is it a tray. Anyway it was fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okwhl-yNKCU

Brian - you waste so much walnut with your oversized cuts - but fear not,

because I'm right here behind ya brother. Just send all those cutoffs to me

and I'll put 'em to some use.

Ha ha! In all seriousness I throw very little away. That which I do toss gets burned in a wood stove in the backyard with the kids and a few marshmallows.

Better to resaw off what you don't need than to plane into useless chips. That's what I tell myself anyway :)

Oh yeah - nice tray.

--

-Mike-

Lew Hodgett[_6_] February 16th 14 02:09 AM

I made a bowl!

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Brian - you waste so much walnut with your oversized cuts - but fear
not, because I'm right here behind ya brother. Just send all those
cutoffs to me and I'll put 'em to some use.

Some more router crafted bowls.

http://tinyurl.com/m5ny3ou

Lew

[email protected] February 16th 14 02:25 AM

I made a bowl!

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Brian - you waste so much walnut with your oversized cuts - but fear

not, because I'm right here behind ya brother. Just send all those

cutoffs to me and I'll put 'em to some use.

Some more router crafted bowls.

http://tinyurl.com/m5ny3ou

Lew

Thanks for that Lew! Saved.

I wonder if the router collet extension can stress the router bearings from the added leverage?

Lew Hodgett[_6_] February 16th 14 03:13 AM

I made a bowl!

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Some more router crafted bowls.

http://tinyurl.com/m5ny3ou

Thanks for that Lew! Saved.

I wonder if the router collet extension can stress the router
bearings from the added leverage?
With out question there is added load on the collet end bearing;
however,
you are not going to add enough load to cause problems if you only
take 1/16-1/8 cuts and let the cutter do it's job.

IOW, don't get in a hurry and try to force the cut.

Take only enough material fast enough to prevent burning.

Lew

-MIKE- February 16th 14 05:21 AM

I made a bowl!

On 2/15/14, 8:03 PM, wrote:
Very nice, Brian. Now you need to get a lathe and really turn out
some bowls.

Larry

Yes! I agree 100%. That'll be my next big purchase. I keep
drooling over the Powermatic 3520B. I need to convince my wife that
I "need" that much lathe. :)

Just sold mine for double what I paid for it. Craigslist rocks. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Leon[_5_] February 16th 14 08:57 AM

I made a bowl!

wrote:
On Saturday, February 15, 2014 6:30:55 PM UTC-5, Gramps' shop wrote:
On Saturday, February 15, 2014 2:21:03 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Or is it a tray. Anyway it was fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okwhl-yNKCU

Very nice, Brian. Now you need to get a lathe and really turn out some bowls.

Larry

Yes! I agree 100%. That'll be my next big purchase. I keep drooling
over the Powermatic 3520B. I need to convince my wife that I "need" that much lathe. :)

"IF" you are not turning now and think you would like to get into turning,

Turning is a whole different aspect to woodworking and a fortune can be
spent on equipment and tools before you even know whether you will like it
or not.

I would strongly advise to buy close to entry level, but a decent brand,
lathe and start off with carbide tipped tools, something equivalent to
"Easywood Tools"". You really only need 2-3 of their tools to turn almost
anything and they do not require any sharpening equipment.

I have owned 2 different lathes for 30 plus years and never really got into
turning until the last 5-6 years.

It takes years of practice to become as proficient with a lathe as you are
with a table saw. You may not like it or have the patience.

[email protected] February 16th 14 07:23 PM

I made a bowl!

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 18:03:43 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 6:30:55 PM UTC-5, Gramps' shop wrote:
On Saturday, February 15, 2014 2:21:03 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Or is it a tray. Anyway it was fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okwhl-yNKCU

Very nice, Brian. Now you need to get a lathe and really turn out some bowls.

Larry

Yes! I agree 100%. That'll be my next big purchase. I keep drooling over the Powermatic 3520B. I need to convince my wife that I "need" that much lathe. :)

Just remind your wife that bigger is better because size does matter.

Jim