DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Silicone glue brushes (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/366796-silicone-glue-brushes.html)

woodchucker[_3_] January 22nd 14 04:38 PM

Silicone glue brushes

Has anyone used the silicone glue brushes with epoxy?
Does the glue pull off, or does it remove the bristles?

Preferably the Rockler, but I'll take any info.

--
Jeff

Lew Hodgett[_6_] January 22nd 14 05:56 PM

Silicone glue brushes

"woodchucker" wrote:

Has anyone used the silicone glue brushes with epoxy?
Does the glue pull off, or does it remove the bristles?

Preferably the Rockler, but I'll take any info.

Epoxy, that's why chip brushes were invented.

I bought them in 100 piece lots.

Less than $0.25 for a 2" brush.

Lew

Lew

[email protected] January 23rd 14 12:02 AM

Silicone glue brushes

Has anyone used the silicone glue brushes with epoxy?
Does the glue pull off, or does it remove the bristles?
Preferably the Rockler, but I'll take any info.

Epoxy, that's why chip brushes were invented.
I bought them in 100 piece lots.
Less than $0.25 for a 2" brush.
Lew

OK ... I'll bite - what are chip brushes ?
John T.

[email protected] January 23rd 14 12:14 AM

Silicone glue brushes

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...q=chip+brushes

[email protected] January 23rd 14 12:34 AM

Silicone glue brushes

wrote:

Has anyone used the silicone glue brushes with epoxy?
Does the glue pull off, or does it remove the bristles?
Preferably the Rockler, but I'll take any info.

Epoxy, that's why chip brushes were invented.
I bought them in 100 piece lots.
Less than $0.25 for a 2" brush.
Lew

OK ... I'll bite - what are chip brushes ?

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...q=chip+brushes

.... Thanks . same as these .. ?
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,190,43034

John T.

Lew Hodgett[_6_] January 23rd 14 12:56 AM

Silicone glue brushes

wrote:

OK ... I'll bite - what are chip brushes ?

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...q=chip+brushes

... Thanks . same as these .. ?
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,190,43034

Except for the price.

Lew

tdacon January 23rd 14 12:59 AM

Silicone glue brushes

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
b.com...

Epoxy, that's why chip brushes were invented.

I bought them in 100 piece lots.

Less than $0.25 for a 2" brush.

Lew

And epoxy will *definitely* pull the bristles out of them.

Lew Hodgett[_6_] January 23rd 14 01:08 AM

Silicone glue brushes

Has anyone used the silicone glue brushes with epoxy?
Does the glue pull off, or does it remove the bristles?
Preferably the Rockler, but I'll take any info.

Wait till Spring when WALMART puts out their Spring merchandise.

You will be able to buy that ROCKLER silicone glue brush for about
1/2 the price at WALMART.

The only difference is that WALMART sells it as a bar-b-que sauce
basting brush.

ROCKLER, my last choice supplier.

Lew

Gramps' shop January 23rd 14 04:38 AM

Silicone glue brushes

Woodcraft now has a silicon brush for $1.99. Comes in colors, too.

Larry

Lew Hodgett[_6_] January 23rd 14 05:19 AM

Silicone glue brushes

"Gramps' shop" wrote:

Woodcraft now has a silicon brush for $1.99. Comes in colors, too.

Larry

Compared to a 2" chip brush, doubt it's worth a hoot for laying epoxy.

With even the best price multiple of 6:1, not worth serious
consideration
IMHO.

BTW, a silicone brush doesn't make a very good bar-b-cue brush IMHO.

Can't comment how it works with TiteBond.

Lew

Leon[_7_] January 23rd 14 05:24 AM

Silicone glue brushes

On 1/22/2014 11:19 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Gramps' shop" wrote:

Woodcraft now has a silicon brush for $1.99. Comes in colors, too.

Larry

Compared to a 2" chip brush, doubt it's worth a hoot for laying epoxy.

With even the best price multiple of 6:1, not worth serious
consideration
IMHO.

BTW, a silicone brush doesn't make a very good bar-b-cue brush IMHO.

Can't comment how it works with TiteBond.

Lew

The silicone brushes work great with the PVA glues. They actually hold
quite a bit of glue, the Woodcraft one, just long enough for it to flow
out onto the work. Easy to clean and if you forget to clean it the
dried glue pulls off with a bit of effort. Mine has helped me glue up
about 9 pieces of furniture in the last year, not bad for $2.

G. Ross January 23rd 14 06:08 AM

Silicone glue brushes

woodchucker wrote:
Has anyone used the silicone glue brushes with epoxy?
Does the glue pull off, or does it remove the bristles?

Preferably the Rockler, but I'll take any info.

Apparently no one has tried one for that. If you do try it, let us
know how it works out.

--
 GW Ross

 Everyone is gifted, but some open the
 package sooner.

hairdad January 24th 14 11:19 PM

Silicone glue brushes

Tried the One from Rockler. Some of the bristles came off with the glue.

woodchucker[_3_] January 25th 14 12:07 AM

Silicone glue brushes

On 1/24/2014 6:19 PM, hairdad wrote:
Tried the One from Rockler. Some of the bristles came off with the glue.

with yellow or epoxy?

--
Jeff

hairdad January 26th 14 01:50 PM

Silicone glue brushes

Tite bond 3

Mike Marlow[_2_] January 26th 14 07:46 PM

Silicone glue brushes

hairdad wrote:
Tite bond 3

Meaning... what?

--

-Mike-

woodchucker[_3_] January 26th 14 08:05 PM

Silicone glue brushes

On 1/26/2014 2:46 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
hairdad wrote:
Tite bond 3

Meaning... what?

That was in my request about epoxy.
He said he pulls the bristles off.
I asked what glue..

No one answered the epoxy question...
Everyone answers everything but..

Think I'll stick to the polypropylene glue brushes for epoxy, or the
acid brushes.... Was just trying to leverage these brushes which I
really like for yellow and white glue. I just stick them in water when
done..

The acid brushes always rusted after a while, and held the water too much.

--
Jeff

Marty Giblin January 30th 14 09:13 AM

Silicone glue brushes

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...
Has anyone used the silicone glue brushes with epoxy?
Does the glue pull off, or does it remove the bristles?
Preferably the Rockler, but I'll take any info.

Wait till Spring when WALMART puts out their Spring merchandise.

You will be able to buy that ROCKLER silicone glue brush for about
1/2 the price at WALMART.

The only difference is that WALMART sells it as a bar-b-que sauce
basting brush.

ROCKLER, my last choice supplier.

Lew

I use the $1.98 silicone brush from Woodcrafter with 30 min epoxy works
great. lit it dry overnight and the epoxy pulls right off the brush

woodchucker[_3_] January 30th 14 02:50 PM

Silicone glue brushes

On 1/30/2014 4:13 AM, Marty Giblin wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...
Has anyone used the silicone glue brushes with epoxy?
Does the glue pull off, or does it remove the bristles?
Preferably the Rockler, but I'll take any info.

Wait till Spring when WALMART puts out their Spring merchandise.

You will be able to buy that ROCKLER silicone glue brush for about
1/2 the price at WALMART.

The only difference is that WALMART sells it as a bar-b-que sauce
basting brush.

ROCKLER, my last choice supplier.

Lew

I use the $1.98 silicone brush from Woodcrafter with 30 min epoxy works
great. lit it dry overnight and the epoxy pulls right off the brush

Finally an answer.. Thank you.

--
Jeff