DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Woodcarving Magic (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/366571-woodcarving-magic.html)

[email protected] January 16th 14 04:06 PM

Woodcarving Magic

Lee Valley Tools is selling a book called Woodcarving Magic. I was
wondering if any carvers here have done similar projects?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...32&cat=51&ap=1

G. Ross January 16th 14 05:17 PM

Woodcarving Magic

wrote:

Lee Valley Tools is selling a book called Woodcarving Magic. I was
wondering if any carvers here have done similar projects?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...32&cat=51&ap=1

Never had that much spare time or was bored enough.

--
 GW Ross

 The future ain't what it used to be.

Bill[_47_] January 17th 14 02:09 AM

Woodcarving Magic

wrote:
Lee Valley Tools is selling a book called Woodcarving Magic. I was
wondering if any carvers here have done similar projects?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...32&cat=51&ap=1

I'd rather try to carve a simple "overhand knot", or my own version of
an "infinity sign". But if you find the photo on the cover alluring, go
for it! Personally, when it comes to geometric shapes, I think I'd
rather try origami, as it is surely *much* faster. Based on the photo on
the cover cover, the exercises models appear to be woodcarving
challenges for the sake of woodcarving challenges. Acanthus leaves,
violin scrolls, and floral motifs seem more natural goals for
woodcarving to me. Compared to the two fish I've carved, the photo on
the cover leaves me cold. YMMV.

Bill

Bill[_47_] January 17th 14 03:59 AM

Woodcarving Magic

Bill wrote:
wrote:
Lee Valley Tools is selling a book called Woodcarving Magic. I was
wondering if any carvers here have done similar projects?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...32&cat=51&ap=1

I'd rather try to carve a simple "overhand knot", or my own version of
an "infinity sign". But if you find the photo on the cover alluring,
go for it! Personally, when it comes to geometric shapes, I think I'd
rather try origami, as it is surely *much* faster. Based on the photo
on the cover cover, the exercises models appear to be woodcarving
challenges for the sake of woodcarving challenges. Acanthus leaves,
violin scrolls, and floral motifs seem more natural goals for
woodcarving to me. Compared to the two fish I've carved, the photo on
the cover leaves me cold. YMMV.

Bill

I noticed that Amazon allows you to "preview" some of the pages of the
book. The "Bird in a cage" looked interesting! Just pay the $15.01 and
enjoy it!

Bill

Neil Ward January 17th 14 04:24 AM

Woodcarving Magic

On 1/16/2014 11:06 AM, wrote:

Lee Valley Tools is selling a book called Woodcarving Magic. I was
wondering if any carvers here have done similar projects?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...32&cat=51&ap=1

I have carved a similar carving: Crossed Hearts and Celtic
Knot Hearts. This is a link to a tutorial:
http://www.tristatecarvers.com/CHandCH-b-2.pdf