Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anybody know what diameter the stretchers are?

;~)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGe2i...74839306#t=328

Posted to rec.woodworking

;~)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGe2i...74839306#t=328

I'm not much into rustic stuff, but as a maker of rocking chairs I can
certainly appreciate the work he put into it. However, the center of gravity
on that thing is way too far forward.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
;~)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGe2i...74839306#t=328

I'm not much into rustic stuff, but as a maker of rocking chairs I can
certainly appreciate the work he put into it. However, the center of
gravity on that thing is way too far forward.

I enjoyed the video. In another 45 seconds, I'm sure he could adjust the
center of gravity with a new rocking base if he wishes to. It's not like
he needs to contract the job out! : )

I'd like to have a foot-operated latheas well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, October 14, 2013 9:51:48 PM UTC-5, Steve Turner wrote:
I'm not much into rustic stuff, but as a maker of rocking chairs I can certainly appreciate the work he put into it. However, the center of gravity on that thing is way too far forward.

It's not important that the center of gravity is correct, since, once someone sits, they and the chair are one unit and leaning to one side would alter the unit's center of gravity.

What's important is the rockers are toed in (back), or toed out (front), at the same angle to the mid-line and the leg lengths maintains the rockers in the same plane (of action/motion), otherwise the chair would likely creep across the floor, as one rocks. It doesn't take much misalignment for a rocker to creep.

I would think his rocker doesn't creep. No doubt, that's not the first rocker he's built.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/15/2013 7:30 AM, Sonny wrote:
[...]

Those things are important, but I'm not talking about rocker creep or
side-to-side balance. The point I was trying to make is that his chair is
trying to lean forward and dump him out, and you can see that before he even
sits in it. On a well-balanced rocker you should be able to take your feet off
the floor and not have the chair roll forward.