Posted to rec.woodworking

Default G&G Dartboard Cabinet

My latest project. A G&G inspired dartboard cabinet from cherry. A fun build.

Picsall the way at the bottom 4-images)
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/projectspage1.php

Build Video part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhWpsaP2ccA

part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBWE7k_Ra8w&

part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtTH6y97BDI

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/10/13 7:05 PM, wrote:
My latest project. A G&G inspired dartboard cabinet from cherry. A fun build.

Picsall the way at the bottom 4-images)
http://www.garagewoodworks.com/projectspage1.php

Pros: Looks great... beautiful and well built.
Cons: Hinges... hidden hinges would've looked much better, IMO.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:18:24 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/10/13 7:05 PM, wrote:

My latest project. A G&G inspired dartboard cabinet from cherry. A fun build.

Picsall the way at the bottom 4-images)

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/projectspage1.php

Pros: Looks great... beautiful and well built.

Thank you.

Cons: Hinges... hidden hinges would've looked much better, IMO.

I agree. It's funny you say that because my wife wanted hidden hinges as well. I looked at some and couldn't find any local that opened 180 degrees or close to it. I saw some online but they were pricey.

Thanks again!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)

--

http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:05:26 PM UTC-7, wrote:
My latest project. A G&G inspired dartboard cabinet from cherry. A fun build.

Wow, the guy has talent!

Excellent design. Very true to G&G with a little modern flare. I love the inclusion of the sap\bark\mineral lines and I think I also see a crack near the bottom of one panel,which I think is fantastic. Really. Very nicely done.

A few Q's
1. Your design?
2. Does it have a finish applied? If so what is it with details of how it was applied.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:46:51 PM UTC-4, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:05:26 PM UTC-7, wrote:

My latest project. A G&G inspired dartboard cabinet from cherry. A fun build.

Wow, the guy has talent!

Excellent design. Very true to G&G with a little modern flare. I love the inclusion of the sap\bark\mineral lines and I think I also see a crack near the bottom of one panel,which I think is fantastic. Really. Very nicely done.

A few Q's

1. Your design?

Yes. I have the SketchUp available for download if you'd like it.

2. Does it have a finish applied? If so what is it with details of how it was applied.

I used a mix of 1:1:1 Tung oil, varnish, and mineral spirits. Applied a generous coat and wiped off the excess X2. Hit the panels lightly w/ steel wool 0000 after a few days.

No cracks in the panels. I did get very lucky when resawing for the panels with the mineral lines/pitch lines. The lines ran most of the board and both panels were resawn/bookmatched from the same board and match end to end.

Thank you!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes. I have the SketchUp available for download if you'd like it.

2. Does it have a finish applied? If so what is it with details of how it was applied.

I used a mix of 1:1:1 Tung oil, varnish, and mineral spirits. Applied a generous coat and wiped off the excess X2. Hit the panels lightly w/ steel wool 0000 after a few days.

No cracks in the panels. I did get very lucky when resawing for the panels with the mineral lines/pitch lines. The lines ran most of the board and both panels were resawn/bookmatched from the same board and match end to end.

Thank you!

Great work on the design.

I like the finish and it exhibits the same characteristics I see when I have used a similar approach. I have used Tung, Turp and Varnish. What I found was after the fist coat, the oil was essentially useless in the mix. You don't get any more penetration after the initial coat that includes the varnish.

I have moved back to a few coats of oil first, then a long dry time (week or two) then a light varnish, shellac or lacquer depending on the needs. Heck even wipe on poly sometimes.

I also have found that I want to add some level of color (usually dye). This is a must for any Oak, maybe never for Maple and Cherry falls in the middle. Oak will actually fade unless you have some base color, even a "natural" almost clear color. Cherry will darken so not such an issue. However, I find using a light wash of vintage maple or something warm like that even a reddish or brownish helps set a deeper look right from the start and makes the natural darkening more predictable.

Just some of my experience and no negative reflection on your beautiful work. The best I've seen from you for my personal taste. Looks like perfect execution also. I think you are on your way to a "Master" designation.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:27:52 PM UTC-4, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

[...]

I noticed that too. After the first coat the mix just sat there. I like your approach with using the oil first. I'll have to play with that.

Just some of my experience and no negative reflection on your beautiful work. The best I've seen from you for my personal taste. Looks like perfect execution also. I think you are on your way to a "Master" designation.

Thank you. That really means a lot. In fact I think you made my day

Cheers