Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Deck Repair w/Trex (and link to jpg)

SWMBO left heavy flower pots on each end of our 48" unsupported step
made out of Trex this summer, and the Trex boards warped (very bad--more
than 2").

The design looks poor, so that's where I'll point the blame. ; )

Here is a drawing of the current design along with my proposed solution:
http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/deckstep.jpg

Questions:
1. I would prefer to use screws (rather than nails) to add new
structural support, so I don't cause damage. 2.5", pre-drilled?

2. In the diagram of my proposed solution, I would have screws being
(not) held by end grain. I know that this is a problem.. What is a
smart, easy and inexpensive way to get around this here? It looks like
I need a brace/bracket of some sort. I would like my repair to last! : )

3. One of the new 5.5" wide Trex boards will have to be "ripped" to
4.25". Is the stuff difficult to cut? Can I use a cheap 40 or 60 tooth
blade (do I need to use a router)? The Trex website suggests a 40-tooth
"carbide tipped" blade and/or router, I believe. I can practice on the
stuff I remove, but as soon as I remove any, I'm going to create a
"safety hazard". I haven't even bought the new Trex yet, I'm just planning.

Here is a copy of the SU file, if anyone would care to use it.
http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/DeckSteps.skp

(Thanks)
Bill