Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Strengt of Plywood?

Hi

Just how stong is plywood?

Say I have a drower, where the sides are 4mm thick (0.1575inch) plates. Will they hold?

It will be 20cm tall (~8inch), 46cm wide (~18inch) and 43cm deep (~17inch). I will use some wood to build the construction, which is - some to the sided and a screw though both wood and plywood to a supporting piece of wood under the plywood bottom of the drawer.

But still it will be "hanging" in plywood only. Just hwo strong is this?

WBR
Sonnich
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/21/2013 2:36 AM, Sonnich Jensen wrote:
Hi

Just how stong is plywood?

Say I have a drower, where the sides are 4mm thick (0.1575inch) plates. Will they hold?

It will be 20cm tall (~8inch), 46cm wide (~18inch) and 43cm deep (~17inch). I will use some wood to build the construction, which is - some to the sided and a screw though both wood and plywood to a supporting piece of wood under the plywood bottom of the drawer.

But still it will be "hanging" in plywood only. Just hwo strong is this?

WBR
Sonnich

If your wife is putting pillows in it, you are OK. If you are going to
store your anvil collection, I'd go heavier. Plywood is rigid and
strong though, but I'd personally go thicker.
Posted to rec.woodworking
bw bw is offline

"Sonnich Jensen" wrote in message
Hi

Just how stong is plywood?

Say I have a drower, where the sides are 4mm thick (0.1575inch) plates. Will
they hold?

It will be 20cm tall (~8inch), 46cm wide (~18inch) and 43cm deep (~17inch).
I will use some wood to build the construction, which is - some to the sided
and a screw though both wood and plywood to a supporting piece of wood under
the plywood bottom of the drawer.

But still it will be "hanging" in plywood only. Just hwo strong is this?

WBR
Sonnich

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:37:44 PM UTC+3, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/21/2013 2:36 AM, Sonnich Jensen wrote:

Hi

Just how stong is plywood?

Say I have a drower, where the sides are 4mm thick (0.1575inch) plates. Will they hold?

It will be 20cm tall (~8inch), 46cm wide (~18inch) and 43cm deep (~17inch). I will use some wood to build the construction, which is - some to the sided and a screw though both wood and plywood to a supporting piece of wood under the plywood bottom of the drawer.

But still it will be "hanging" in plywood only. Just hwo strong is this?

WBR

Sonnich

If your wife is putting pillows in it, you are OK. If you are going to

store your anvil collection, I'd go heavier. Plywood is rigid and

strong though, but I'd personally go thicker.

Thanks.

It is for my caravan, so - it will be jumpy somehow.
Any ideas how thick I should go?

They will hold clothes for our trips. I calculated the room as app 45 litres. Looking at the internet for 45 liters bags Id expect some 10 maybe even 15 kg if we go high.

I could use something else, if there is a good lightweight material.

Any ideas?