Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Looking for ideas, experience, etc.

I'm working on plans for a cabinet I am going to build into a niche between
two rooms. The space for the cabinet horizontally is like this (VP= 3/4"
vertical partition)

left 11"
VP
center left 6 3/4"
VP
center (for TV) 39 1/2"
VP
center right 6 3/4"
VP
right 11"

For a total of 78"

The center and two outside compartment widths have to be at least what they
are now; the left & right center widths are fudgeable as they are for CD/DVD
jewel cases.

The entire front is to be enclosed with doors. The horizontal space for the
doors is 76 1/2 which allows a 3/4 overlap on the interior space for each
face frame stile. The height of the doors will be 39 1/2 +-
__________________________

My intent - before drawing it out - was to use four sliding doors. There is
plenty of space in front of the partitions for sliders. Problem is, there
is no way I can figure for four sliding doors to cover the interior space
but allow the center ones to be slid open and allow full view of the TV
compartment.

I thought about using six doors; getting pretty narrow...the narrower they
are the more chance of them binding when pushed. I could use five to make
them a bit wider.

I also thought about a fold down and slide in door in the front of the TV
compartment. That compartment is 28' high and there is another compartment
10 1/2 inches high under its support shelf. I'm thinking about something
like a barrister door but flop down rather than up. When flipped and pushed
in, a door like that would project outward from the cabinet front by 4-6" as
the available depth is 24" max.; I don't see that as a huge problem, more
like an impetus to close the door There is no room for side flip doors.

And lastly, I could always use four regular old hinged doors. I may wind up
doing that but wanted to get the thoughts of you guys and - hopefully - the
benefit of your experience.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/6/2013 11:20 AM, dadiOH wrote:

[...]

It would sacrifice some of the width on the sides but I'd suggest the
slide-in along the side hardware intended for the purpose.

Woodworker's Hardware wwhardware.com if you don't have local supplier
of such things. WWH is good folk to deal with if you haven't...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, June 6, 2013 11:47:49 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
It would sacrifice some of the width on the sides but I'd suggest the slide-in along the side hardware intended for the purpose. Woodworker's Hardware wwhardware.com if you don't have local supplier of such things. WWH is good folk to deal with if you haven't... --

Pivot door slides on dpb's link.
http://www.wwhardware.com/drawer-doo...ot-door-slides

I have them on a cabinet, but I didn't make the cabinet, hence buy or install the slides. You'll need the slide for your specific door thickness and face fitting. Karl, Leon, Robert, etc. can likely advise best how to select the proper slide for your specific needs.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
[...]

Whatda? Ok - maybe I'm getting more stupid, but I cannot clearly assertain
what you are saying with all of your VP measurements. Sorry - the term VP
is a meaningless term that does not communicate well in a forum like this.
Any chance you could do a SketchUp or a similar type of drawing to post on
the binaries groujp or on a web site?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message
[...]

Two thoughts;

If you wanted to use sliding doors, go to a wider track and make the doors
thicker. That should take care of the binding problem.

And in a similar configuration as the above cabinet, I have seen a roll top
used to cover the TV. The only problem there is that when the roll top is
raised, that there be enough circulation in the cabinet so the TV doesn't
overheat. It wouldn't take that much to do that. A couple vent holes, etc.
Besides, modern flat panel TV's do not put out the heat that the old CRT
TV's did. Any way, I have seen this approach used twice. And it was very
good looking. A lot of curious people just had to lift the roll top just to
see what was behind it.

Any way, roll tops are readily available and can be quite attractive when
finished well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message ...

I'm working on plans for a cabinet I am going to build into a niche between
two rooms. The space for the cabinet horizontally is like this (VP= 3/4"
vertical partition)

left 11"
VP
center left 6 3/4"
VP
center (for TV) 39 1/2"
VP
center right 6 3/4"
VP
right 11"

For a total of 78"

The center and two outside compartment widths have to be at least what they
are now; the left & right center widths are fudgeable as they are for
CD/DVD jewel cases.

How about doors on the two outside spaces and create slide out pantry type
units for the left and right center spaces. For example

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2028552...6#.UbDS5_m1F8E

Do you have room for a slide up (or down) door in the center? You'd need a
deep cabinet to hide a barrister type door...

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/6/2013 1:50 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
I'm working on plans for a cabinet I am going to build into a niche
between two rooms. The space for the cabinet horizontally is like
this (VP= 3/4" vertical partition)

Whatda? Ok - maybe I'm getting more stupid, but I cannot clearly assertain
what you are saying with all of your VP measurements. Sorry - the term VP
is a meaningless term that does not communicate well in a forum like this.
Any chance you could do a SketchUp or a similar type of drawing to post on
the binaries groujp or on a web site?

I could. Or you could just read what I wrote above. That's easier
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/6/2013 2:03 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
-
Two thoughts;

If you wanted to use sliding doors, go to a wider track and make the
doors thicker. That should take care of the binding problem.

And in a similar configuration as the above cabinet, I have seen a roll
top used to cover the TV. The only problem there is that when the roll
top is raised, that there be enough circulation in the cabinet so the TV
doesn't overheat. It wouldn't take that much to do that. A couple vent
holes, etc. Besides, modern flat panel TV's do not put out the heat that
the old CRT TV's did. Any way, I have seen this approach used twice.
And it was very good looking. A lot of curious people just had to lift
the roll top just to see what was behind it.

Thanks, I had forgotten about rolltops. Certainly a possibility.

dadiOH

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message ...

I'm working on plans for a cabinet I am going to build into a niche
between two rooms. The space for the cabinet horizontally is like
this (VP= 3/4" vertical partition)

left 11"
VP
center left 6 3/4"
VP
center (for TV) 39 1/2"
VP
center right 6 3/4"
VP
right 11"

For a total of 78"

The center and two outside compartment widths have to be at least what
they are now; the left & right center widths are fudgeable as they are
for CD/DVD jewel cases.

How about doors on the two outside spaces and create slide out pantry
type units for the left and right center spaces.

Yes, I could do that easily but I'm missing how doing so would provide
extra sliding space for the center doors. Could you explain a bit?

Do you have room for a slide up (or down) door in the center? You'd need
a deep cabinet to hide a barrister type door...

Straight up or down, no. Fold down or up and then in, yes; and either
would stick out 4-6" which doesn't bother me terribly.

dadiOH

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message ...

"dadiOH" wrote in message ...

[...]

Three approaches:

Sliding doors in front to cover the whole thing... when they are open the
other doors/drawers could be closed for neatness or opened for access.

Pocket doors that open out like hinged doors and then slide in along the
sides of the TV.

Or, as you had suggested, the barrister type doors (if you have enough
depth).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 6, 12:20*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
[...]

Winters getting colder? *Tired of the rat race?
Check it out...http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Perhaps I'm not visualizing this correctly, but it seems to me that
each "wing" will be almost exactly half the width of the tv space. I
envision 4 equal width sliding doors on two tracks. When watching TV,
the TV doors would slide in front of the two "wing" doors. When not
watching TV, you'd slide the "wing" doors behind the TV doors to
access the stuff in the wings. You's have to make those doors stop a
little short of going completely behind the TV doors so you'd have
something to grab to close them, but I think it's doable.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 6, 8:54*pm, Greg Guarino wrote:
On Jun 6, 12:20*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:

[...]

This is what I mean (got to practice my Sketchup, they tell me)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7633979597262/

Use the right arrow to see 3 views
Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
On Jun 6, 12:20 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
[...]

I like your idea. The picture at the following link suggests
other possibilities.

http://woodwaredesigns.com/majordesks/rolltop1.jpg

Interesting problem!

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/6/2013 8:54 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On Jun 6, 12:20 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
[...]

That was, indeed, the desire. The problem is that width of the TV
compartment is greater than 2x the width of the "wing" compartment.
Which means that the TV doors could never slide apart enough to totally
expose their compartment.

The only sliding solutions I can think of are to use five or more doors
- OR - make the TV door into a horizontal tambour.

Actually, the tambour isn't all that bad. I have a depth limitation but
the complete door wouldn't have to be tambour...each TV door has to be
20" plus wide but I am shy about 2-3" of sliding space for each door.
Therefore, make each one solid for, say, 15-16" and put a vertical
tambour strip at each end to give me enough width to cover the
compartment. Slide them open and the tambour ends wrap around into the
depth of the cabinet. Or, just make the whole door tambour.

That's doable, off to the drawing board

dadiOH

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 6, 12:20 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
[...]

Is 78" the entire available width? You'd only need a couple more inches
to make it work with 4 doors.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2013 1:00 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Perhaps I'm not visualizing this correctly, but it seems to me that
each "wing" will be almost exactly half the width of the tv space.

But they aren't and therein lies the problem.

Each wing from the end is...

11" compartment
3/4 partition
6 3/4" compartment
3/4 partition between 6 3/4 compartment and TV

That's a total of 19 1/4. Close but close doesn't count here, only in
horse shoes and grenades.

Even if they *were* half the TV area size, it still wouldn't work
because the left/right doors and TV doors should overlap each other by
at least 1/2".

Is 78" the entire available width? You'd only need a couple more inches
to make it work with 4 doors.

Yeah, I know

Actually, I could get about 3 1/2" more at each side *IF* I wanted to
rip off some drywall, move some studs, put back new DW, tape it, texture
it and prime and paint. I don't. The tambour should work out OK.

dadiOH

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2013 4:28 PM, dadiOH wrote:
[...]

Ah. That's the part I didn't get. 78" is your maximum space.

Junior Member