Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lynchburg VA

I'm going to be in the Lynchburg, VA area this weekend,
with a few hours to burn on Saturday.

Is there anything in the area, woodwrking related,
that would be considered a "can't miss attraction"

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2013 10:42 AM, basilisk wrote:
I'm going to be in the Lynchburg, VA area this weekend,
with a few hours to burn on Saturday.

Is there anything in the area, woodwrking related,
that would be considered a "can't miss attraction"

basilisk

The Blue Ridge Parkway.

It is always worth a couple of hours, which is easily done from
Lynchburg. It is always changing, so if you were there last week it
will be different this week.

As for the woodworking there is a lot of wood on the Parkway and an
interesting Log building at the Peaks of Otter. There are others if you
want to take a walk.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 May 2013 12:31:05 -0400, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

The Blue Ridge Parkway.

It is always worth a couple of hours, which is easily done from
Lynchburg. It is always changing, so if you were there last week it
will be different this week.

As for the woodworking there is a lot of wood on the Parkway and an
interesting Log building at the Peaks of Otter. There are others if you
want to take a walk.

Nice time of year for the Parkway. Check out some places for barbecue
for lunch or dinner. Or both.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

The Blue Ridge Parkway.

It is always worth a couple of hours, which is easily done from
Lynchburg. It is always changing, so if you were there last week it
will be different this week.

As for the woodworking there is a lot of wood on the Parkway and an
interesting Log building at the Peaks of Otter. There are others if you
want to take a walk.

Nice time of year for the Parkway. Check out some places for barbecue
for lunch or dinner. Or both.

Peaks of Otter Lodge. Good chow.
Bedford, VA
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2013 10:42 AM, basilisk wrote:
I'm going to be in the Lynchburg, VA area this weekend,
with a few hours to burn on Saturday.

Is there anything in the area, woodwrking related,
that would be considered a "can't miss attraction"

basilisk

There are wooden barrels at the Jack Daniels Distillery and they have
tours. :-)
http://www.jackdaniels.com/visit

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/2013 7:53 AM, willshak wrote:
On 5/16/2013 10:42 AM, basilisk wrote:
I'm going to be in the Lynchburg, VA area this weekend,
with a few hours to burn on Saturday.

Is there anything in the area, woodwrking related,
that would be considered a "can't miss attraction"

basilisk

There are wooden barrels at the Jack Daniels Distillery and they have
tours. :-)
http://www.jackdaniels.com/visit

Silly me. Wrong Lynchburg.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 16, 10:42*am, basilisk wrote:
I'm going to be in the Lynchburg, VA area this weekend,
with a few hours to burn on Saturday.

Is there anything in the area, woodwrking related,
that would be considered a "can't miss attraction"

basilisk

Poplar Forest. See: http://www.poplarforest.org/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 17, 2013 6:58:22 AM UTC-5, willshak wrote:
Silly me. Wrong Lynchburg.

Not so fast, Bill. He's coming from AL. He kin set a spell, in Lynchburg, TN, before saunterin on, to VA.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/16/2013 9:42 AM, basilisk wrote:
I'm going to be in the Lynchburg, VA area this weekend,
with a few hours to burn on Saturday.

Is there anything in the area, woodwrking related,
that would be considered a "can't miss attraction"

basilisk

Unfortunately I was on the road (TN didn't get back to Lynchburg this
time) and missed so this is too late but if ever there again w/ some
time the one place of your subject I'd suggest is Poplar Forest, TJ's
summer residence. It's on south side of city towards Bedford off 460.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 6:23:15 AM UTC-7, dpb wrote:
On 5/16/2013 9:42 AM, basilisk wrote:

I'm going to be in the Lynchburg, VA area this weekend,
with a few hours to burn on Saturday.
Is there anything in the area, woodwrking related,

if ever there again w/ some
time the one place of your subject I'd suggest is Poplar Forest, TJ's
summer residence. It's on south side of city towards Bedford off 460.

Last time I was there, the boxwood hedge had circa 3" girth on some
of its limbs. It's taken a LONG while building up that woody resource.