Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Superglue (CA) wood finish.

Hello all,

Does anyone have a suggestion for a similar finish to superglue
on wood? I like the 'wet look' it gives, and the smooth finish. Only
asking in case there is a better / cheaper method I'm not aware of.

Thanks in advance,

David Paste.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Hello all,

Does anyone have a suggestion for a similar finish to superglue
on wood? I like the 'wet look' it gives, and the smooth finish. Only
asking in case there is a better / cheaper method I'm not aware of.

Thanks in advance,

David Paste.

This a link to Epifanes on the Jamestown Distributors web page.

http://tinyurl.com/d3f6nut

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Hello all,

Does anyone have a suggestion for a similar finish to superglue
on wood? I like the 'wet look' it gives, and the smooth finish. Only
asking in case there is a better / cheaper method I'm not aware of.

Thanks in advance,

David Paste.

For turning finishes it is still the quickest way to get there. Bigger
bottles are more bang for your buck.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 30, 6:16*pm, wrote:
Hello all,

Does anyone have a suggestion for a similar finish to superglue
on wood? I like the 'wet look' it gives, and the smooth finish. Only
asking in case there is a better / cheaper method I'm not aware of.

Thanks in advance,

David Paste.

Hey.... slow down.... too much detail to process from you all at
once....

Are you finishing a front door?

Are you finishing a table top?

Are you finishing a sea sloop?

A jewelry box?

A toilet seat?

A pen?

An outdoor shelf?

Questions like your are akin to "hey, I'm gonna do some painting, and
I like the shiny stuff. Can anyone recommend a type of paint and a
color, too?"

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, March 31, 2013 6:49:40 PM UTC+1, wrote:

Hey.... slow down.... too much detail to process from you all at
once....

Are you finishing a front door? a table top? a sea sloop? A jewelry
box? A toilet seat? A pen? An outdoor shelf?

Well no firm plans at the minute, but one day I hope to finish a
bog seat. Who wouldn't?!

Questions like your are akin to "hey, I'm gonna do some painting, and
I like the shiny stuff. Can anyone recommend a type of paint and a
color, too?"

Yes.

I was arsing around with an old floorboard the other day, and I ended up
spilling some CA on to it. I had previously heard of people using CA as
a finish, but I had not paid much attention. However, the finish that
resulted on this floorboard was wonderful, so I had a litle experiment - I
sanded a patch down and gave it two coats of CA (with a light sanding
inbetween). The wood took on a lovely wet-look with a nice matt or silk
finish, depending on how I sanded it up. It seemed to be fairy durable,
too, as wacking it with a hammer didn't do too much other than a few
small dents.

The reason I ask about alternatives is that the glue isn't the cheapest way
of finishing a door, for example, but it seems like it would be quite
suitable - good looking and (possibly?) durable (the piece of floorboard is
now outside to see what the weatehr does to it) so if this finish was
already well-known and there were any alternatives, I was curious.

I DO actually have two external doors to refinish (when it warms up), so
asking now seemed like a good idea in preparation.

Thanks for your reply.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

This a link to Epifanes on the Jamestown Distributors web page.

http://tinyurl.com/d3f6nut

Have fun.

Lew

Cheers!

You'll love the stuff for exterior natural finish doors.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keep us posted on this.

I had a tube of CA in my tool box I took to a IEEE show for Testers.
We used some and the tools - packed up and the box shipped back with
the equipment. In a week I got my box of hand tools and the whole box
had a thin layer of CA over everything. There was oil on the tools and
flux in a pot - so the contaminants were CA and oil mist when the truck
got hot on the trip. It took a month or so and the CA powered off
everything - the whole box was white with dust. I think the CA
was taken apart by the oil. It might have been while it was drying or
afterwards. I don't know. Just that CA doesn't last on the outside of
stuff.

Martin

On 4/1/2013 1:27 PM, wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 30, 7:16*pm, wrote:
Hello all,

Does anyone have a suggestion for a similar finish to superglue
on wood? I like the 'wet look' it gives, and the smooth finish. Only
asking in case there is a better / cheaper method I'm not aware of.

Thanks in advance,

David Paste.

Nitro lacquer, cured and rubbed.

Can i use this wood finish???? [email protected] Woodworking 6 November 22nd 08 05:01 PM
wood finish question Paul Fisher Woodworking Plans and Photos 4 May 13th 08 10:32 PM
Finish on light wood/sap wood Ted Woodturning 5 April 12th 08 12:40 AM
wood finish Arvid Woodworking 10 June 26th 06 03:17 AM
Wood finish yaofeng Home Repair 3 June 14th 06 09:19 PM