DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How many clamps? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/354426-how-many-clamps.html)

Greg Guarino[_2_] March 24th 13 04:19 AM

How many clamps?

I find that the more simpleminded the question, the more likely people
here will argue about it. This should be interesting.

I'm finally getting ready to attach the face frames to my first two
bookcase units. Apart from some pocket screws for the top and bottom
rails (whose holes will never be seen), I plan to just glue and clamp.
I took a first stab at laying out where the clamps should go. I find
that it's a little less nerve wracking if I have all of the clamps at
hand and set to something like the right opening before I apply any
glue.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...ream/lightbox/

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...ream/lightbox/

I have two questions:

Do I need three clamps for each rail, as shown in the photos? Or would
two (plus the clamps at the ends of the rails) be enough? The units
are 21" wide.

I have shown five pipe-style clamps on each side (one at each T
intersection) plus some cheap bar clamps in between the shelves that
are further apart. Do I also need clamps between the shelves that are
closer together? Those are 11.25" apart on center.

I feel I'm going to get a lesson on cauls, which, if quick and simple,
I could consider. But my spare time has become very spare indeed
lately.

Thanks in advance.

Larry W March 24th 13 04:23 AM

How many clamps?

In article ,
Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Looks like enought to me if you use some cauls or blocks with those bar
clamps.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Leon[_5_] March 24th 13 04:32 AM

How many clamps?

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

You only need enough to eliminate/close the gap.

I have shown five pipe-style clamps on each side (one at each T
intersection) plus some cheap bar clamps in between the shelves that
are further apart. Do I also need clamps between the shelves that are
closer together? Those are 11.25" apart on center.

See above.

I feel I'm going to get a lesson on cauls, which, if quick and simple,
I could consider. But my spare time has become very spare indeed
lately.

Calls would eliminate the need for so many clamps b
Thanks in advance.

Dave[_52_] March 24th 13 04:51 AM

How many clamps?

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 21:19:32 -0700 (PDT), Greg Guarino
bookcase units. Apart from some pocket screws for the top and bottom
rails (whose holes will never be seen), I plan to just glue and clamp.

Despite the holding properties of proper glue usage and clamping, I'd
never just glue on any part of your project. Almost everything I
build, I overbuild. To that end, I'd use my Domino and/or my Kreg
wherever possible.

But, if I was just gluing, I'd clamp the face frame enough to close
any gaps.

dadiOH[_3_] March 24th 13 11:52 AM

How many clamps?

Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Two would be enough, three won't hurt.

Why no clamps on top & bottom rails?

I have shown five pipe-style clamps on each side (one at each T
intersection) plus some cheap bar clamps in between the shelves that
are further apart. Do I also need clamps between the shelves that are
closer together? Those are 11.25" apart on center.

No.

I feel I'm going to get a lesson on cauls, which, if quick and simple,
I could consider. But my spare time has become very spare indeed
lately.

Faster to eschew clamps and use countersunk screws and face grain bpugs.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Mike Marlow[_2_] March 24th 13 12:16 PM

How many clamps?

dadiOH wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Because he has stated that he used pocket screws for the top and bottom
rails. That lead me though, why not just use pocket screws for all of the
rails, since they won't be seen.

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow[_2_] March 24th 13 12:21 PM

How many clamps?

Mike Marlow wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Should have read - That lead me though, to wonder why not...

--

-Mike-

Lew Hodgett[_6_] March 24th 13 01:22 PM

How many clamps?

Greg Guarino wrote:

[...]

Other than use biscuits to maintain registration between carcass
and F/F, what does your gut tell you?

Lew

Greg Guarino[_2_] March 24th 13 02:06 PM

How many clamps?

On Mar 24, 8:16*am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
I find that the more simpleminded the question, the more likely
people here will argue about it. This should be interesting.

I'm finally getting ready to attach the face frames to my first two
bookcase units. Apart from some pocket screws for the top and bottom
rails (whose holes will never be seen), I plan to just glue and
clamp. I took a first stab at laying out where the clamps should go.
I find that it's a little less nerve wracking if I have all of the
clamps at hand and set to something like the right opening before I
apply any glue.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...otostream/ligh....

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...otostream/ligh....

I have two questions:

Do I need three clamps for each rail, as shown in the photos? Or
would two (plus the clamps at the ends of the rails) be enough? The
units are 21" wide.

Two would be enough, three won't hurt.

Why no clamps on top & bottom rails?

Because he has stated that he used pocket screws for the top and bottom
rails. That lead me though, why not just use pocket screws for all of the
rails, since they won't be seen.

Well, they could be seen, if one were to look under the shelves. This
will be easy to do for the upper shelves, as these units will rest on
existing boxes that raise them up about 30". The top shelf will be
above eye height, at least for height-challenged folks like me.

The better question is why I shouldn't use pocket screws for the
stiles, drilled in from the outside of the boxes. These two bookcase
units will be flanked on one side by another bookcase and on the other
by the side walls of the room. The answer is that I did consider it,
and haven't entirely rejected the idea. I just wonder if I'll regret
it someday. By Murphy's Law, putting pocket holes in the outside walls
of the cabinets will guarantee that we'll need to re-purpose them at
some point; the new configuration exposing the sides.

Now this is a pretty minor concern, and I could be convinced otherwise
if I thought it was structurally necessary to reinforce the glue. Is
it?

Greg Guarino[_2_] March 24th 13 02:12 PM

How many clamps?

On Mar 24, 12:51*am, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 21:19:32 -0700 (PDT), Greg Guarino

bookcase units. Apart from some pocket screws for the top and bottom
rails (whose holes will never be seen), I plan to just glue and clamp.

*Despite the holding properties of proper glue usage and clamping, I'd
never just glue on any part of your project. Almost everything I
build, I overbuild. To that end, I'd use my Domino and/or my Kreg
wherever possible.

That's one of the reasons that I made all of the shelves fixed, in
dadoes. My experience is limited, but I have trouble imagining these
boxes failing with so many glued joints. They will also have backs,
rabbeted in, and the face frames.

Greg Guarino[_2_] March 24th 13 02:23 PM

How many clamps?

On Mar 24, 9:22*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:

[...]

I have a few ideas on the subject of "gut". What we call "gut" or
"feel" is a mental association built up over multiple repetitions of
some observation or activity. It's what allows people to accomplish
tasks that are too complex for conscious calculation, like hitting a
curve ball, or playing music without a written score. (In my case,
that would be "yes" for the latter, "no" for the former)

I think I have developed a reasonable mechanical sense over the years,
and what "gut" I have tells me that it will probably work fine, even
with fewer clamps than I show. But I am always willing to learn from
people with better-developed "guts".

Swingman March 24th 13 02:35 PM

How many clamps?

On 3/23/2013 11:19 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Do I need three clamps for each rail, as shown in the photos? Or would
two (plus the clamps at the ends of the rails) be enough? The units
are 21" wide.

It's hard to use too many, and easy to not use enough.

Base it on the material, and the particular job ... if there is any
doubt whether you have enough by the way the job is clamping up (as in
is some of the material bowed and not making good contact?), add more to
those spots, it will rarely hurt to do so; if not, don't worry about it.

Your photos appear to be just about right for most face frame glue-ups.

Just remember, to effectively glue two wood parts together with most
modern wood glues you need both contact between the parts, and adequate
pressure (which may vary with the application).

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

-MIKE- March 24th 13 04:50 PM

How many clamps?

On 3/23/13 11:51 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 21:19:32 -0700 (PDT), Greg Guarino
bookcase units. Apart from some pocket screws for the top and bottom
rails (whose holes will never be seen), I plan to just glue and clamp.

Despite the holding properties of proper glue usage and clamping, I'd
never just glue on any part of your project. Almost everything I
build, I overbuild. To that end, I'd use my Domino and/or my Kreg
wherever possible.

Coming from someone (me) who generally over-engineers everything, your
statement in way too general to be good advice. :-)

You said it yourself in your first sentence, "Despite the holding
properties of proper glue usage and clamping..."
If there's no load on a joint, it's just plain silly to use dowel/tenons
or screws for strength. In any non-load bearing joint, if the glue alone
isn't strong enough, the joint isn't designed properly. Even a butt
joint with modern glue is strong enough.

Unless they are serving another purpose, screws or dowels/tenons are a
waste of time and resources. Tenons for alignment are a another story.
They are great way to help perfectly align a joint while clamping or
until the glue cures.

Pocket screws are a great way to clamp, but according to Kreg and
confirmed by my experience, they negate the need for glue. I use pocket
screws to clamp all the time, in places they won't be seen, when I don't
have enough clamps or I don't want to wait for the glue to cure before
moving to the next step in the project. Sometimes, after the glue dries,
I'll take the screws out and recycle them because the are no longer
doing anything useful-- they were simply tiny clamps.

For the OP's bookcase project, assuming he used dado joints for the
shelves, I see nothing that requires anything other than glue for
strength and holding.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Mike Marlow[_2_] March 24th 13 06:17 PM

How many clamps?

Greg Guarino wrote:

Well, they could be seen, if one were to look under the shelves. This
will be easy to do for the upper shelves, as these units will rest on
existing boxes that raise them up about 30". The top shelf will be
above eye height, at least for height-challenged folks like me.

Got it. In that case, would the plugs that are designed for pocket holes be
unacceptable to you? They'd still show somewhat, but not to the casual
observer.

--

-Mike-

woodchucker[_3_] March 24th 13 07:44 PM

How many clamps?

On 3/24/2013 12:19 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Of course you realize that there is no hard and fast rule. and opinions
will vary.

I have no rule. Just what I feel. Sometimes I over clamp... looks like a
porcupine, sometimes not. Cauls are nice if you have them made ahead of
time. I tooks some 2x4's and ripped them in half then I planed them so
that they have a nice bow. so one side is flat and one arches.
I use either depending.

Now that I haven't given you an answer, are you finishing the face frame
first? or after?

--
Jeff

Lew Hodgett[_6_] March 24th 13 07:47 PM

How many clamps?

"-MIKE-" wrote:

[...]

With the advent of modern day adhesives, the relative strength
advantage of fastners v. adhesives for joints is greatly over rated.

Ever wonder how Boeing is securing all that carbon fiber they
are using to build the current airplanes they are producing?

Think maybe various epoxy formulations might be involved?

Adhesive for shear load applications is a tough joint to beat.

Tensile load joints, not so much, but then tensile joints are no
winner for fastners either.

Lew

woodchucker[_3_] March 24th 13 10:14 PM

How many clamps?

[...]

Greg, see the binaries...

--
Jeff

Amy Guarino March 25th 13 03:23 AM

How many clamps?

On Mar 24, 2:17*pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
Well, they could be seen, if one were to look under the shelves. This
will be easy to do for the upper shelves, as these units will rest on
existing boxes that raise them up about 30". The top shelf will be
above eye height, at least for height-challenged folks like me.

Got it. *In that case, would the plugs that are designed for pocket holes be
unacceptable to you? *They'd still show somewhat, but not to the casual
observer.

True, and I did consider doing that. But it turns out that the plugs
are a little too long for 3/4" material and would need to be cut down.
And as I stained the ply, they'd have to be stained as well, and
surely wouldn't quite match. All of that could be acceptable if I was
convinced that there was some need. But my sense of it is that the
glue alone will be adequate. I could be wrong; a common enough
occurrence when the topic is woodworking.

Amy Guarino March 25th 13 03:24 AM

How many clamps?

On Mar 24, 6:14*pm, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

No binary access. I use Eternal September on one computer and GG
(until I get around to fixing it) on this one.

Amy Guarino March 25th 13 03:25 AM

How many clamps?

On Mar 24, 3:44*pm, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

First. They're done, actually.

Dave[_52_] March 25th 13 06:31 AM

How many clamps?

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 11:50:15 -0500, -MIKE-
For the OP's bookcase project, assuming he used dado joints for the
shelves, I see nothing that requires anything other than glue for
strength and holding.

The cabinet sides and shelving are plywood. That being the case, he
would be gluing hardwood face frames to plywood edging. Maybe I've
been doing something wrong all these years, but I've *never* been able
glue wood to plywood edging and been able to call it a strong
connection.

That's my reasoning for more than just glue.

Mike Marlow[_2_] March 25th 13 10:49 AM

How many clamps?

Amy Guarino wrote:
On Mar 24, 2:17 pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

Oh yeah - don't get me wrong... I believe the glue alone will be sufficient
in conjunction with the pocket screws you already have in place. I was just
thinking out loud so to speak, because I thought you were looking for ideas
to augment the glue some more.

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow[_2_] March 25th 13 10:51 AM

How many clamps?

Dave wrote:
On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 11:50:15 -0500, -MIKE-
For the OP's bookcase project, assuming he used dado joints for the
shelves, I see nothing that requires anything other than glue for
strength and holding.

The cabinet sides and shelving are plywood. That being the case, he
would be gluing hardwood face frames to plywood edging. Maybe I've
been doing something wrong all these years, but I've *never* been able
glue wood to plywood edging and been able to call it a strong
connection.

That's my reasoning for more than just glue.

Yeahbut he does have pocket screws holding the face frame on at both the top
and the bottom rails.

--

-Mike-

Dave[_52_] March 25th 13 11:29 AM

How many clamps?

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 06:51:25 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
That's my reasoning for more than just glue.

Yeahbut he does have pocket screws holding the face frame on at both the top
and the bottom rails.

Oh, I'm not saying that the face frame will move, just that my
building preferences demand that most of what I build are comparable
to a tank.

woodchucker[_3_] March 25th 13 12:55 PM

How many clamps?

On 3/24/2013 11:24 PM, Amy Guarino wrote:
On Mar 24, 6:14 pm, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/24/2013 12:19 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Greg, see the binaries...

--
Jeff

No binary access. I use Eternal September on one computer and GG
(until I get around to fixing it) on this one.

Greg see the first two images in:
http://imgur.com/a/YbWt2#0

Just meant to show that cauls can be simple and also used for other
things. I turn them around at times to lightly clamp for dovetailing.

BTW what stain did you use on your inside. I like the color.

--
Jeff

Greg Guarino[_2_] March 25th 13 03:18 PM

How many clamps?

On 3/24/2013 12:32 AM, Leon wrote:
Do I need three clamps for each rail, as shown in the photos? Or would
two (plus the clamps at the ends of the rails) be enough? The units
are 21" wide

You only need enough to eliminate/close the gap.

Thanks for the helpful advice. I inspected the contact between the face
frame and the unit with the clamps on (dry) as shown in the photos I
posted. I could see a gap in one spot and made a mental note to add a
clamp there as per your suggestion.

When I removed the clamps and the face frame to prepare for the actual
gluing, I noticed that there was a very slight "lump" of glue near where
I had seen the gap; it must have squeezed out of the end of the dado
when I glued in the shelves. A few passes with a block plane evened it
out nicely, there, and in another location. After I applied the glue,
face frame and clamps, I inspected that area again: No gap.

Greg Guarino[_2_] March 25th 13 03:32 PM

How many clamps?

On 3/25/2013 2:31 AM, Dave wrote:
I've*never* been able
glue wood to plywood edging and been able to call it a strong
connection.

I'm curious, did any such joints actually come loose? Did you perhaps
try to pry one apart and find that it was indeed weaker than you would
like?

woodchucker[_3_] March 25th 13 03:43 PM

How many clamps?

On 3/25/2013 11:32 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 3/25/2013 2:31 AM, Dave wrote:
I've*never* been able
glue wood to plywood edging and been able to call it a strong
connection.

I'm curious, did any such joints actually come loose? Did you perhaps
try to pry one apart and find that it was indeed weaker than you would
like?

Greg, you won't have a problem with the face frame coming off.
it will be fine.

--
Jeff

chaniarts[_3_] March 25th 13 04:18 PM

How many clamps?

On 3/24/2013 7:06 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On Mar 24, 8:16 am, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
[...]

you make them be a feature, not a bug. glue in either matching, or
contrasting pocket hole plugs.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...6&site=ROCKLER

Greg Guarino[_2_] March 25th 13 05:16 PM

How many clamps?

On 3/25/2013 2:31 AM, Dave wrote:
I've*never* been able
glue wood to plywood edging and been able to call it a strong
connection.

I'm curious, did any such joints actually come loose? Did you perhaps
try to pry one apart and find that it was indeed weaker than you would
like?

Greg, you won't have a problem with the face frame coming off.
it will be fine.

At this point it really was more curiosity than worry. I'm always up for
learning something more. In any case, the gluing was done yesterday
evening. :)

-MIKE- March 25th 13 05:39 PM

How many clamps?

On 3/25/13 1:31 AM, Dave wrote:
On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 11:50:15 -0500, -MIKE-
For the OP's bookcase project, assuming he used dado joints for the
shelves, I see nothing that requires anything other than glue for
strength and holding.

The cabinet sides and shelving are plywood. That being the case, he
would be gluing hardwood face frames to plywood edging. Maybe I've
been doing something wrong all these years, but I've *never* been able
glue wood to plywood edging and been able to call it a strong
connection.

That's my reasoning for more than just glue.

I can't speak to your experience or process, but I glue thick, solid
edge banding/reinforcement to plywood all the time and get very strong
results. I routinely test small sections of the joint from where I've
cut a shelf to length and end up with a cut-off piece of shelf that is
1/4" to 1" wide. It is very difficult to break this joint and it rarely
fails at the glue line. I stopped using fasteners (screws or nails) for
this joint, several projects ago, as they proved to be unnecessary
overkill.

As to strong.... well, strong is relative, isn't it. In the case of the
OP's bookcase, the shelves look to be about 18" wide in my estimation.
Not only does he not need any reinforcement on those shelves, he could
probably store electric motors on them with no deflection. :-)

The face frames in the OP's bookshelf are just that, face frames. Face
frames in cabinetry *do* add rigidity and strength, but in modern
cabinetry are much more cosmetic/esthetic. I know of designs in which
the face frames of a cabinet is intended to provide critical strength to
the construction. This is certainly not the case in the OP's bookcase.
The OP's face frame, IMO, is purely cosmetic and could be attached with
18ga trim nails and it would be stronger than needed for the intended
purpose.
Gluing it on now means it would likely hold up in a circus elephant act.
:-)

Moving on to a broader discussion of solid edge support....
If I get to the point where I want the edge banding on a plywood shelf
to act as reinforcement against deflection, I will often cut a rabbet in
the solid wood banding to add strength, like this...
http://www.mikedrums.com/shelf_edge_top.jpg
http://www.mikedrums.com/shelf_edge_bot.jpg
This is generally for shelves that are very wide, like 3feet and more.
This adds a great deal of strength and gives the shelves a thinker front
profile, which I think looks better. So, it serves a dual purpose. I
would never think (any longer) to have any fasteners in this joint. But
I can assure you, even without the rabbet, I would use only glue.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

-MIKE- March 25th 13 05:46 PM

How many clamps?

On 3/25/13 5:51 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Dave wrote:
On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 11:50:15 -0500, -MIKE-
For the OP's bookcase project, assuming he used dado joints for the
shelves, I see nothing that requires anything other than glue for
strength and holding.

The cabinet sides and shelving are plywood. That being the case, he
would be gluing hardwood face frames to plywood edging. Maybe I've
been doing something wrong all these years, but I've *never* been able
glue wood to plywood edging and been able to call it a strong
connection.

That's my reasoning for more than just glue.

Yeahbut he does have pocket screws holding the face frame on at both the top
and the bottom rails.

I addressed this in my previous post, but from the OP's pictures, that
face frame could be more than adequately attached with trim nails. Those
shelves are very narrow and are glued/dadoed in as integral segments of
the case. IMO, they need no reinforcement at all. The frame certainly
will add some strength, especially if glued. But glue AND fasteners is
beyond overkill and simply a waste.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

dadiOH[_3_] March 25th 13 05:49 PM

How many clamps?

Greg Guarino wrote:
On 3/25/2013 2:31 AM, Dave wrote:
I've*never* been able
glue wood to plywood edging and been able to call it a strong
connection.

I'm curious, did any such joints actually come loose? Did you perhaps
try to pry one apart and find that it was indeed weaker than you would
like?

I don't know about him but I have *NEVER* had a glued joint fail. One of
mine, that is.

A while back I had to make a couple of glued up arched jambs. I drew my arc
on a piece of ply, put short pieces of 2x4 on edge at a few tangents. I
attached them by squirting some yellow glue on them and pressing in place
(no clamps). When I finished with the jig I reclaimed the plywood by
knocking off the 2x4 pieces with a hammer. Generally took more than one
hard blow and each one took plywood with it. NP, other side is still good.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Mr. SmartyPants March 25th 13 10:35 PM

How many clamps?

Greg Guarino wrote in
:

I have two questions:

Do I need three clamps for each rail, as shown in the photos? Or would
two (plus the clamps at the ends of the rails) be enough? The units
are 21" wide.

regardless of the project size I always use 36 8' 3/4" pipe bar clamps.
:)

Larry W March 25th 13 11:28 PM

How many clamps?

In article ,
Dave wrote:
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 06:51:25 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
That's my reasoning for more than just glue.

Yeahbut he does have pocket screws holding the face frame on at both the top
and the bottom rails.

Oh, I'm not saying that the face frame will move, just that my
building preferences demand that most of what I build are comparable
to a tank.

If you have kidds and especially if some of them are boys that is the wise
thing to do!

Larry W. - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org

Dave[_52_] March 26th 13 08:40 AM

How many clamps?

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 11:32:48 -0400, Greg Guarino
On 3/25/2013 2:31 AM, Dave wrote:
I've*never* been able
glue wood to plywood edging and been able to call it a strong
connection.

I'm curious, did any such joints actually come loose? Did you perhaps
try to pry one apart and find that it was indeed weaker than you would
like?

Initially, I glued a 1" thick strip of pine to a plywood veneered
table edge that I built. It started coming off about a month after I
built the table.

I removed all the pine edging and then shaved about 1/4" off the
plywood table edge to remove the remnants of soaked in hardened glue.
Then I tried gluing again with a different brand of yellow carpenter's
glue. Same problem happened again about two months later.

All of this seems really strange because after the second try, I glued
on a roll of veneer stripping and that's stayed on quite well ever
since then.

I can only surmise, that pressure (such as elbows) put downwards force
on the table edge. Other than that, to be honest, I'm not sure where
the problem lay. Maybe it was me and my technique, the type of glue I
used or something else.

That's my limited experience with it. I've never tried again.

Dave[_52_] March 26th 13 08:50 AM

How many clamps?

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 12:46:22 -0500, -MIKE-
will add some strength, especially if glued. But glue AND fasteners is
beyond overkill and simply a waste.

Possibly. Much of what we build is dependent on how we've built things
through the years. For quite a few years, I used a blind nailer on my
face frames, something I bought a long, long time ago from Lee Valley
Tools.

Essentially, it's a mini-plane that raises a thin shaving of wood. I'd
then drill a slightly undersized hole in that space and drive in a
countersunk finishing nail. The raised shaving would then be glued
back down and clamped in place for about ten minutes. I produced an
invisible method of joining my face frames.

That method worked really well for a long time. Then I bought a Domino
and just like the biscuit joiner, I haven't used the blind nailer
since.

Dave[_52_] March 26th 13 08:52 AM

How many clamps?

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 13:49:27 -0400, "dadiOH"
I don't know about him but I have *NEVER* had a glued joint fail. One of
mine, that is.

I've glued hardwood to hardwood, pine to pine and a combination of
both and they've stood up well. It's just the gluing of solid wood to
plywood edging that I've had this problem. Never could figure out why.

-MIKE- March 26th 13 03:42 PM

How many clamps?

On 3/25/2013 2:31 AM, Dave wrote:
[...]

I wish you had pictures so we could help you out better.
My first instinct is not tight enough clamping. Long shot, though, since
it doesn't take much pressure at all. As another poster stated, just
enough to close the gap.

My second is wet wood-- the pine, maybe. Silly question, but was either
product pressure treated in any way? Was the pine recycled from another
project and treated with any kind of finish or solvent?

(Please don't think I'm trying argue, here.)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

-MIKE- March 26th 13 03:48 PM

How many clamps?

On 3/26/13 3:50 AM, Dave wrote:
[...]

I love the blind nailing technique.
I don't know who invented it or when, but I think it's brilliant.

In the case of gluing *and* finish-nailing a face frame, I still contend
that the purpose of the nails is to act as clamps until the glue dries.
Norm used to mention this a lot on his show.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--