Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Off Desk Phase II

I started the upper cabinet for the desk this week. It is a mix of lots
of rabbit and dado joints that were cut per the drawing specifications.
6 face frame boards and 6 panels. The unit measures 93" x 54". 14
dado/groves, 8 lap joints, and a rabbit joint. There will also be a
front face frame added to the mix with 6 more dado/groves and 8 floating
tenon joints. First trial fit was successful. Needless to say, for
panels to meet and fit into dados on 90 degree planes, cuts had to be
dead on. No room for close.

This is the back face frame prior to finishing the through cuts for the
ends of the dados where boards meet at 90 degrees. The through cuts
were done with a trim router and straight bit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...5680/lightbox/

First trial fit of the 12 pieces.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...5680/lightbox/

The bottom/ back face frame will be glued together with the plywood
panels in place to insure perfect fit. The same procedure will be used
for the front/top face frame and then the panels and front and back face
frames will be glued together in one operation.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/1/2013 3:24 PM, Leon wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...5680/lightbox/

First trial fit of the 12 pieces.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...5680/lightbox/

The bottom/ back face frame will be glued together with the plywood
panels in place to insure perfect fit. The same procedure will be used
for the front/top face frame and then the panels and front and back face
frames will be glued together in one operation.

Looking good, but all too damn familiar as far as size ... gotta say the
last three projects here were finally something I could lift with one
hand.

Holler when/if you need a hand with that glue-up.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/1/2013 4:06 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 3/1/2013 3:24 PM, Leon wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...5680/lightbox/

First trial fit of the 12 pieces.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...5680/lightbox/

The bottom/ back face frame will be glued together with the plywood
panels in place to insure perfect fit. The same procedure will be used
for the front/top face frame and then the panels and front and back face
frames will be glued together in one operation.

Looking good, but all too damn familiar as far as size ... gotta say the
last three projects here were finally something I could lift with one
hand.

Holler when/if you need a hand with that glue-up.

Thanks, I was'a sweat'n it. When you don't cut anything to fit, simply
cut to plans specs you hope it all goes together like the drawing.

Yeah bring your 4x8 sheet of granite that I know Linda has hidden away
some where. LOL.

My plan is to cut the mortises for the Domino's for all the joints in
the face frames. Glue the face frame joints and reassemble on top of
the plywood panels and then clamp in place. After curing remove the
face frame flip the panels and repeat for the other face frame. After
cured, remove, sand everything, varnish all inner sides and hard to get
to areas and then glue the panels to the face frames. This seems to
work well, at least on the last 24 face frames that I have done this
way. ;~)

I'd be starting the gluing on Monday If I did not want to varnish first.