Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Set 477

On 1/27/2013 1:32 PM, Rob H. wrote:
I've gotten a few emails from people who own similar tools and who say
it is a distributor wrench, as well as people posting here in the
newsgroups who have said the same, so I went ahead and changed my answer
identifying it as such. I'm still waiting to hear back from Thorsen,
and will be happy to change my answer if they or anyone else has
evidence to the contrary.

Rob

Rob way back when I used distributor wrenches they always had 2 bends
and or a bend with an end to place a ratchet which would create the
second bend. The distributor wrench has to bend to reach under the
distributor and bend again to give you leverage to turn it.

http://www.google.com/search?q=distr...w=1333&bih=679

Check out these wrenches, samples of each.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=79794

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 1/31/13 9:51 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/27/2013 1:32 PM, Rob H. wrote:
I've gotten a few emails from people who own similar tools and who say
it is a distributor wrench, as well as people posting here in the
newsgroups who have said the same, so I went ahead and changed my answer
identifying it as such. I'm still waiting to hear back from Thorsen,
and will be happy to change my answer if they or anyone else has
evidence to the contrary.

Rob

Rob way back when I used distributor wrenches they always had 2 bends
and or a bend with an end to place a ratchet which would create the
second bend. The distributor wrench has to bend to reach under the
distributor and bend again to give you leverage to turn it.

http://www.google.com/search?q=distr...w=1333&bih=679

Check out these wrenches, samples of each.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=79794

If I read you correctly, I'm not the only one who wants to bet on a
different horse. The right leg of the Cornwell starter motor wrench
looks functionally identical to Rob's.

1. 5/8"
2. 8" shaft
3. able to fit within a cylinder wall only 3/4" from the hex head
4. handle bends in same direction as box

The age looks similar to me.

http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artif...-tools-p2.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 1/31/2013 7:13 PM, j Burns wrote:
On 1/31/13 9:51 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/27/2013 1:32 PM, Rob H. wrote:
[...]

LOL, Yeah! I am not saying what it is but am saying what it isn't. ;~)
I think you would be hard pressed snaking that thing to the bottom
side of a distributor.

It very well could be a specialized tool as some have indicated, perhaps
not offered to the general public. Thorsen has been around a long time
and they may have been an automobile manufacturer tool supplier.
Dealerships get a highly specialized set of tools every year with the
introduction of a new model year. GM used to use Kent tools to
manufacture the special tools.

1. 5/8"
2. 8" shaft
3. able to fit within a cylinder wall only 3/4" from the hex head
4. handle bends in same direction as box

The age looks similar to me.

http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artif...-tools-p2.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 1/31/13 9:51 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/27/2013 1:32 PM, Rob H. wrote:
[...]

Your google images page showed me why some say it looks like a
distributor wrench, but it's not clear that any is identical to Rob's in
more than one of these ways:

1. 5/8"
2. 8" shaft
3. able to fit within a cylinder wall only 3/4" from the hex head
4. handle bends in same direction as box

The right leg of the Cornwell seems to be identical to Rob's in all four
ways. Call me Mister Common Sense, but I say (at the risk of being sued
for plagiarism), "when I see a bird that walks like a duck and swims
like a duck and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck."