Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Oak lathe jig

Shopmade drum sander, oak base board. Any problem with the lathe bed
rusting if I leave the jig installed on the machine?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 15, 7:25*pm, Father Haskell wrote:
Shopmade drum sander, oak base board. *Any problem with the lathe bed
rusting if I leave the jig installed on the machine?

Is the oak in contact with the iron? It's well established that iron
fasteners in oak will eventually corrode. Apparently the tannin acts
as an oxygen scavenger. Now, how much damage to the lathe bed the
contact will cause is uncertain, but I'd err on the side of caution.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, I think it will corrode. I left a stack of oak boards on my table
saw's cast iron table and it rusted in a week or so. My shop is in a
non-condensing environment. And, the table had been coated with past wax.
I will admit that the wax might have gotten a little thin, but it sure did
rust. I have polished away at the rust, which does not feel rough to the
touch, but I can still see where the board was.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
Shopmade drum sander, oak base board. Any problem with the lathe bed
rusting if I leave the jig installed on the machine?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 15, 11:50*pm, "Pete S" wrote:
Yes, I think it will corrode. *I left a stack of oak boards on my table
saw's cast iron table and it rusted in a week or so. *My shop is in a
non-condensing environment. *And, the table had been coated with past wax.
I will admit that the wax might have gotten a little thin, but it sure did
rust. *I have polished away at the rust, which does *not feel rough to the
touch, but I can still see where *the board was.

Answer I was looking for.

Lay some more boards on the saw, you'll
never know where the first ones were.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:
On Jan 15, 11:50 pm, "Pete S" wrote:
Yes, I think it will corrode. I left a stack of oak boards on my table
saw's cast iron table and it rusted in a week or so. My shop is in a
non-condensing environment. And, the table had been coated with past wax.
I will admit that the wax might have gotten a little thin, but it sure did
rust. I have polished away at the rust, which does not feel rough to the
touch, but I can still see where the board was.

Answer I was looking for.

Lay some more boards on the saw, you'll
never know where the first ones were.

Empire top saver will fix the problem..

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 16:25:14 -0800, Father Haskell wrote:

Shopmade drum sander, oak base board. Any problem with the lathe bed
rusting if I leave the jig installed on the machine?

Probably yes if the oak is unfinished. But some dewaxed shellac or poly
in the oak and some topcote or equivalent on the lathe bed and you should
be OK.

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Father Haskell wrote:
Shopmade drum sander, oak base board. Any problem with the lathe bed
rusting if I leave the jig installed on the machine?

I understand that there is an insidious "oak rust" phenomenom that can
manifest itself under certain conditions in home woodworking shops...