Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Baltic Birch plywood bookcase

On Saturday, 4 December 2010 12:32:17 UTC-5, garage woodworker wrote:
My son wants a no-frame bookcase 14" x 39.5" x 52.75" from either 5/8" 11
ply Baltic Birch Plywood or 3/4" 13 ply Baltic Birch Plywood. Will 5/8"
really hold up? I have my doubts.

did you complete the baltic birch bookcase?
my son wants a baltic birch album case (3 shelves, 3/4"x96"x14" top and 3/4"x44"x14" sides). i am planning on 16" between vertical pieces.
he plans to store his 5,000 vinyl record albums in this shelving.
he also wants it urethaned including the edging (showing the plies)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 14:35:53 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Saturday, 4 December 2010 12:32:17 UTC-5, garage woodworker wrote:
My son wants a no-frame bookcase 14" x 39.5" x 52.75" from either 5/8" 11
ply Baltic Birch Plywood or 3/4" 13 ply Baltic Birch Plywood. Will 5/8"
really hold up? I have my doubts.

I'd go 3/4", for sure. That's 39.5" wide, right? What's being stored
on it? If anything over half a dozen pounds, I'd want some kind of
stiffener on/under the front of the shelving. A piece of aluminum
angle iron or a 1.5" strip of the same ply on the front.

||=========================== back

or

=============================
--

did you complete the baltic birch bookcase?
my son wants a baltic birch album case (3 shelves, 3/4"x96"x14" top and 3/4"x44"x14" sides). i am planning on 16" between vertical pieces.
he plans to store his 5,000 vinyl record albums in this shelving.
he also wants it urethaned including the edging (showing the plies)

Should be OK. All the weight will be roughly 8" back from the front,
unsupported edge. 16" width isn't too wide, but it may sag over time
with that much weight. (Suggest 3/4" aluminum strap or angle tacked
onto/under the face of the shelves if they start to sag later.)
Regular books would be harder on the shelving, with weight all the way
out to the front edge.

And go with a waterborne urethane, allowing plenty of time (in a WARM
shop or indoors) to dry and finish hardening before he loads them.

--
Intuition isn't the enemy, but the ally, of reason.
-- John Kord Lagemann