Posted to rec.woodworking

Default cleaning bamboo

I have a couple of old bamboo type fishing creels that I am restoring. I
am replacing the leather on them. What I am concerning with is how to
clean the bamboo. As I said, these are old and I do not want to damage
the bamboo by using the wrong method of cleaning. Any suggestions would
be appreciated. It is mostly cleaning years of dirt and grime off the
bamboo.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm not familiar with those creels, however I am familiar with caned chairs..

Unless someone, here, knows for sure....

A gentle washing with a soft brush, mild soapy water and rinse well shouldn't bother the bamboo. I would suppose it gets wet when fishing, anyway. The water may soften the bamboo, as it does with caning. If it softens too much, you might want to stuff the creel with bundled news print to maintain the form/shape of the creel, while drying.

Caned chairs are finished with shellac, usually. Maybe test a small area with a more water resistant finish, should you decide to put a finish on the creel. I have no idea if creels would have a finish on them, or not.

I use Frank's Cane and Rush Supply for my supplies - http://www.franksupply..com/
Maybe inquire of them or a supplier near you, for expert advice specific for bamboo. A good sporting goods outlet may know, also.

Sonny

Bissell Cleaning and alternative cleaning liquids noname[_3_] UK diy 1 August 16th 08 09:04 AM
Bamboo trvlnmny Woodworking 4 April 11th 08 06:28 PM
looking for 3/4" bamboo wineguy Woodworking 4 July 19th 07 06:02 PM
Slate Floor Cleaning / Waxing -- Sealed? Problem with white crud on surface after cleaning... Jamie Dolan Home Repair 4 August 21st 06 03:39 AM
FS: Bamboo t & g flooring Rick Stein Woodworking 0 September 30th 05 01:55 AM