Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wood Expansion/Contraction Calculator

On Tuesday, December 25, 2012 1:23:50 PM UTC-5, Doug Miller wrote:
wrote in news:3dad83e7-df52-4ea1-81f7-81db1fd5a138

@googlegroups.com:

I created a webpage that lets you enter your lumber species, starting and final moisture

content and width and it will calculate your lumber expansion or contraction.

Let me know what you think.

Enjoy! AND Merry Christmas!

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/moisture.php

Cool. Thanks.

A few suggestions, though, Brian:

1. Don't clear the form when you display the answer. I'd like to see what I entered for

species, moisture content, and width. This would also make it possible to see the

dimensional change for different widths of the same species at the same moisture contents,

without having to re-enter anything except the width.

2. Round the answer to either three or two decimal places. "... contract by 0.13872 inches" is

a bit overly precise, dontcha think? :-)

3. Some folks might find it useful to have the dimensional change shown in fractional inches

Implemented this. Now gives fraction to the nearest 1/16". This was a tricky one for me.

as well as decimal inches.

4. Our neighbors to the north might find it useful to be able to specify dimensions, and get

their answers, in metric units. Perhaps some of them will comment on that, and on whether

mm or cm would be more convenient.