Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Multi-purpose hand tools worth getting?

Trying to put together a small toolbox for making small to medium-
sized boxes.

I'd like to be efficient in terms of space / functionality, so ask:

``What multi-purpose wood-working tools are actually worth getting and
putting in a tool Kit intended for making small—medium-sized boxes?''

w/ a corollary of:

``What tools are only useful in single-purpose form?

Things which are in:

multi-purpose:

- gunsmithing hammer
- 3-in-1 Brass Marking Gauge
- reproduction #1 Odd-Job (or a combination square—- I’d be
interested in discussions as to why I’d prefer one over the other)
- Veritas® Chisel Plane and a 1” chisel
- Kreg KMA2900 Multi-Mark Multi-Purpose Marking and Measuring Tool
instead of a sliding bevel?
- yankee screwdriver for drilling holes / driving, or a set of
gimlets
- combination plane
- jack plane w/ 2 blades (cambered for scrub / rough work and flat
for fine work)

and I always have a Leatherman P.S.T. w/ me.

single-function:

- a block plane (Lee Valley Skew) was suggested last time I discussed
this
- router plane
- files (flat and half round),
- a rasp as well (four-in-hand)
- Marking knife.
- Dividers / scribe.
- oil & stones for sharpening

considering:

- Reciprocating Saw Blade & Screwdriver Handle but the screwdriving
is redundant. Suggestions for a small, portable saw or set of saws?

Ridiculous and won't be included (I'd appreciate warnings of more such
as well):

- combination rasp / wood chisel

I want small, elegant & clever. Thanks!

Wiliam
Posted to rec.woodworking

William F. Adams ) wrote:
Trying to put together a small toolbox for making small to medium-
sized boxes.

I'd like to be efficient in terms of space / functionality, so ask:

``What multi-purpose wood-working tools are actually worth getting and
putting in a tool Kit intended for making small—medium-sized boxes?''

w/ a corollary of:

``What tools are only useful in single-purpose form?

Seems like you have been around the block. Recommend a good catalog like
Lie-Neilsen or Veritas.
"Actually worth getting" is vague. Worth getting for what? Suggest you
get what you need for your next project.

Have fun,
Bill

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/24/2012 12:42 AM, Bill wrote:
William F. Adams ) wrote:
Trying to put together a small toolbox for making small to medium-
sized boxes.

I'd like to be efficient in terms of space / functionality, so ask:

``What multi-purpose wood-working tools are actually worth getting and
putting in a tool Kit intended for making small—medium-sized boxes?''

w/ a corollary of:

``What tools are only useful in single-purpose form?

Seems like you have been around the block. Recommend a good catalog like
Lie-Neilsen or Veritas.
"Actually worth getting" is vague. Worth getting for what? Suggest you
get what you need for your next project.

Sounds more like a quick recommendation for a last minute Christmas gift
for someone else.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

William F. Adams ) wrote:
Trying to put together a small toolbox for making small to medium-
sized boxes.

I'd like to be efficient in terms of space / functionality, so ask:

``What multi-purpose wood-working tools are actually worth getting and
putting in a tool Kit intended for making small—medium-sized boxes?''

w/ a corollary of:

``What tools are only useful in single-purpose form?

Seems like you have been around the block. Recommend a good catalog like
Lie-Neilsen or Veritas.
"Actually worth getting" is vague. Worth getting for what? Suggest you
get what you need for your next project.

Sounds more like a quick recommendation for a last minute Christmas
gift for someone else.

If so, a set of "scrapers" may satisfy the "small and elegant"
requirement. But for small boxes, maybe one is enough.

Posted to rec.woodworking

William F. Adams wrote:

Trying to put together a small toolbox for making small to medium-
sized boxes.

I'd like to be efficient in terms of space / functionality, so ask:

``What multi-purpose wood-working tools are actually worth getting
and
putting in a tool Kit intended for making small—medium-sized
boxes?''

This close to Christmas, some Benjamin(s).

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"William F. Adams )" wrote in
:

Trying to put together a small toolbox for making small to medium-
sized boxes.

I'd like to be efficient in terms of space / functionality, so ask:

*snip*

I want small, elegant & clever. Thanks!

Wiliam

Those 6-in-1 handheld screwdrivers are very useful and efficient in space
and functionality. During pool setup/winterizing, I carry one in my
pocket as it will turn everything I need. That's not only all the
mounting hardware, but the hose clamps and even drain plug.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 24, 12:42*am, Bill wrote:
William F. Adams ) wrote: Trying to put together a small toolbox for making small to medium-
sized boxes.

I'd like to be efficient in terms of space / functionality, so ask:

``What multi-purpose wood-working tools are actually worth getting and
putting in a tool Kit intended for making small—medium-sized boxes?''

w/ a corollary of:

``What tools are only useful in single-purpose form?

Seems like you have been around the block. Recommend a good catalog like
Lie-Neilsen or Veritas.
"Actually worth getting" is vague. *Worth getting for what?

Making small--medium-sized boxes.

Suggest you
get what you need for your next project.

That's a separate list (if you're curious, it's a small magnetic saw
guide w/ saw --- want a better way to cut boxes apart, and a Veritas
miniature router plane --- want a nicer one for hinge installation).

This is the project after that --- I want a small tool box (or chest)
filled w/ good quality tools which is usable for small--medium
projects and as much else as is possible. It'll be matched up w/ a
portable work bench and some folding saw horses --- my workbench is
one end of a tiny basement laundry room and I like to work on the back
deck, so my goal here is to minimize trips up / down the stairs.

William
Posted to rec.woodworking

William F. Adams ) wrote:
Trying to put together a small toolbox for making small to medium-
sized boxes.

I'd like to be efficient in terms of space / functionality, so ask:

``What multi-purpose wood-working tools are actually worth getting and
putting in a tool Kit intended for making small—medium-sized boxes?''

w/ a corollary of:

``What tools are only useful in single-purpose form?
Seems like you have been around the block. Recommend a good catalog like
Lie-Neilsen or Veritas.
"Actually worth getting" is vague. Worth getting for what? Suggest you
get what you need for your next project.

Sounds more like a quick recommendation for a last minute Christmas
gift for someone else.

If so, a set of "scrapers" may satisfy the "small and elegant"
requirement. But for small boxes, maybe one is enough.

Bite your tongue, Bill.

There can -never- be too many clamps or too many scrapers.

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/24/2012 9:23 AM, William F. Adams ) wrote:

This is the project after that --- I want a small tool box (or chest)
filled w/ good quality tools which is usable for small--medium
projects and as much else as is possible. It'll be matched up w/ a
portable work bench and some folding saw horses --- my workbench is
one end of a tiny basement laundry room and I like to work on the back
deck, so my goal here is to minimize trips up / down the stairs.

Well, everybody's view of what is "small--medium" varies as well as what
is on the project list horizon. You've mentioned boxes but again that's
such a generic classification as to be almost meaningless in tool
selection. All depends on what techniques you use and/or consider using...

I'd think you would already know what you use most (both techniques and
tools) and that finding a minimalist set of tools that fulfills the need
would simply be going through that list.

Then, once you have that, then going through it again w/ the idea of
finding multi-use stuff to pare down the number would be possibility I
guess...or, if the toolset is going to override the techniques, then
select that and make the work fit them (a most dissatisfying way to work
I'd think, but then again, all depends on personal tastes and objectives).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/24/12 1:13 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
"William F. Adams )" wrote in
:

Trying to put together a small toolbox for making small to medium-
sized boxes.

I'd like to be efficient in terms of space / functionality, so ask:

*snip*

I want small, elegant & clever. Thanks!

Wiliam

Those 6-in-1 handheld screwdrivers are very useful and efficient in space
and functionality. During pool setup/winterizing, I carry one in my
pocket as it will turn everything I need. That's not only all the
mounting hardware, but the hose clamps and even drain plug.

Puckdropper

I have a 4 in 1 and a 6 in 1 that I use all the time.
Not only are the flat, phillips, and square drive bits right there, but
the slots to hold the bits are 1/4" and 5/16" which are very common nuts.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

William F. Adams ) wrote:

That's a separate list (if you're curious, it's a small magnetic saw
guide w/ saw --- want a better way to cut boxes apart, and a Veritas
miniature router plane --- want a nicer one for hinge installation).

This is the project after that --- I want a small tool box (or chest)
filled w/ good quality tools which is usable for small--medium
projects and as much else as is possible. It'll be matched up w/ a
portable work bench and some folding saw horses --- my workbench is
one end of a tiny basement laundry room and I like to work on the back
deck, so my goal here is to minimize trips up / down the stairs.

I'd make a suitable tool-tote that holds what you regularly carry up and
down the stairs.
I have a separate one for "electrical tools" for instance,and two for
working on machinery (sockets, screwdrivers, etc.)--one
English, and one metric (segregating the socket/wrench sets made me a
happier person!)

Bill in IN

William

Posted to rec.woodworking

William F. Adams ) wrote:
Trying to put together a small toolbox for making small to medium-
sized boxes.

I'd like to be efficient in terms of space / functionality, so ask:

``What multi-purpose wood-working tools are actually worth getting and
putting in a tool Kit intended for making small—medium-sized boxes?''

w/ a corollary of:

``What tools are only useful in single-purpose form?
Seems like you have been around the block. Recommend a good catalog like
Lie-Neilsen or Veritas.
"Actually worth getting" is vague. *Worth getting for what? Suggest you
get what you need for your next project.

Sounds more like a quick recommendation for a last minute Christmas
gift for someone else.

If so, a set of "scrapers" may satisfy the "small and elegant"
requirement. *But for small boxes, maybe one is enough.

Too useful to have just one. I have dozens of smaller
scrapers, each with various molding profiles filed into
the edges. Best "table top" scraper I've ever seen
was my c.1890 26" George Bishop crosscut saw
after I jointed the teeth back prior to retoothing it for
rip. Just for laughs, I passed a burnisher over it.
Actually took a decent burr. Ever seen a 24" wide
scraper shaving?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 24, 2:13*am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
"William F. Adams )" wrote :

Trying to put together a small toolbox for making small to medium-
sized boxes.

I'd like to be efficient in terms of space / functionality, so ask:

*snip*

I want small, elegant & clever. Thanks!

Wiliam

Those 6-in-1 handheld screwdrivers are very useful and efficient in space
and functionality. *During pool setup/winterizing, I carry one in my
pocket as it will turn everything I need. *That's not only all the
mounting hardware, but the hose clamps and even drain plug.

Thanks! That's the sort of endorsement I was looking for.