Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Sturdy portable/rollable shelves?

How about grabbing some rectangular pieces of wood, drilling holes
through the four corners of each piece, sticking pipes up through
the corner holes, and then attaching wheels to the bottom of the
pipes. Maybe using some wood glue on the wood to fortify the pipe
entry and exit points, with notches in the pipe for holding the
wood, etc.

The best strong and light shelving material, if not wood?

For storing tools and whatever other household items. Anywhere
between 3 feet and 6 feet tall. I noticed a design is to put two
wheels on one side but not on the other, wheelbarrow style.

I'm not trying to invent something, I'm asking for comments and/or
other ideas. Naturally I want the movable shelves to be sturdy but
light as possible. They will roll on low friction carpet here.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Or maybe something like these Sterilite (plastic) Shelving Units,
with wheels added.

http://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-4-Sh...bxgy_hg_text_y

http://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-5-Sh...lving+material
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

You would be best served buying used Metro Racks with casters. I have
one of those.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

This is basically what I was thinking about, without wheels.

http://www.amazon.com/Furinno-99557B...ywords=shelves
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 23:31:33 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

How about grabbing some rectangular pieces of wood, drilling holes
through the four corners of each piece, sticking pipes up through
the corner holes, and then attaching wheels to the bottom of the
pipes. Maybe using some wood glue on the wood to fortify the pipe
entry and exit points, with notches in the pipe for holding the
wood, etc.

The best strong and light shelving material, if not wood?

For storing tools and whatever other household items. Anywhere
between 3 feet and 6 feet tall. I noticed a design is to put two
wheels on one side but not on the other, wheelbarrow style.

I'm not trying to invent something, I'm asking for comments and/or
other ideas. Naturally I want the movable shelves to be sturdy but
light as possible. They will roll on low friction carpet here.

Thanks.

Thats doable. However..you have to figure out how to keep the shelves
apart. Wood glue wont do it.

And the best strong and light shelving material is steel.

Just a heads up.

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 23:40:35 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

Or maybe something like these Sterilite (plastic) Shelving Units,
with wheels added.

http://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-4-Sh...bxgy_hg_text_y

http://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-5-Sh...lving+material

Great for storing Pampers and other lightweight materials.
However....putting heavy stuff on them...disaster

Google "Gorilla" Shelving

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Nov 23, 12:20 am, John Doe wrote:
This is basically what I was thinking about, without wheels.

http://www.amazon.com/Furinno-99557B...p/B005PO558I/r...

I see several flaws in this idea. First, the shelves have no sides and
no back. If you intend to roll the unit around, the stuff on the
shelves is likely to fall off. Second, and probably more important,
the unit really doesn't look sturdy. Lacking the cross-bracing that a
back and sides would provide, I doubt that it will hold up to the
stress of being moved, especially on carpet. It will likely twist and
"rack" a bit each time, further weakening whatever connects the pipes
to the chipboard shelves.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino gdguarino gmail.com wrote:

John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote:

This is basically what I was thinking about, without wheels.

http://www.amazon.com/Furinno-99557B...ywords=shelves

I see several flaws in this idea. First, the shelves have no
sides and no back. If you intend to roll the unit around, the
stuff on the shelves is likely to fall off.

That type of shelving has a multitude of positive reviews from
people who have actually used them.

Second, and probably more important, the unit really doesn't
look sturdy. Lacking the cross-bracing that a back and sides
would provide,

Lots of shelves have no sides and no back. You can always put
stuff in a box on the shelf, like on so many other shelves. And,
at least here, I'm not planning on constantly moving the stuff
around.

I doubt that it will hold up to the stress of being moved,
especially on carpet. It will likely twist and "rack" a bit each
time, further weakening whatever connects the pipes to the
chipboard shelves.

Or, you could use sturdy pipes and solid & thick joints.

In fact, I was thinking about using a thin shelving surface with
small blocks of 2 x 4 glued under the corners. That would provide
about 2 inches of sturdy contact with the pipe at each corner of
each shelf.

But I'm also thinking about using the wall as a brace, and using
only two pipes instead of four. Will see.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

Or maybe something like these Sterilite (plastic) Shelving Units,
with wheels added.

http://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-4-Sh...bxgy_hg_text_y

Great for storing Pampers and other lightweight materials.
However....putting heavy stuff on them...disaster

They're rated at 150-lb/shelf which ain't terrible and have good reviews
for sturdy from purchasers...look like be worth a chance't on one for a
trial w/ not much to lose...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Or maybe something like these Sterilite (plastic) Shelving Units,
with wheels added.

http://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-4-Sh...bxgy_hg_text_y

Great for storing Pampers and other lightweight materials.
However....putting heavy stuff on them...disaster

They're rated at 150-lb/shelf which ain't terrible and have good reviews
for sturdy from purchasers...look like be worth a chance't on one for a
trial w/ not much to lose...

Gunner's right. They WILL hold 150 pounds per shelf, and sag quite a
bit. Try pushing a loaded one around on wheels and it will collapse
with a lot less weight. The only way to add wheels would be to put it
on a dolly made of heavy plywood or metal. More expense than the crappy
things are worth. I have a few that hold bulky, light weight boxed
computer parts. I used one to store canned goods for a little while,
and it''s very warped now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Nov 23, 10:08*am, John Doe wrote:
Greg Guarino gdguarino gmail.com wrote:

John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote:
This is basically what I was thinking about, without wheels.

http://www.amazon.com/Furinno-99557B...p/B005PO558I/r...

I see several flaws in this idea. First, the shelves have no
sides and no back. If you intend to roll the unit around, the
stuff on the shelves is likely to fall off.

That type of shelving has a multitude of positive reviews from
people who have actually used them.

I'll take your word for it. Have any of those people added wheels?

Second, and probably more important, the unit really doesn't
look sturdy. Lacking the cross-bracing that a back and sides
would provide,

Lots of shelves have no sides and no back.

And they're less sturdy as a result. Which might be OK if they never
move and aren't loaded too heavily.
1
You can always put
stuff in a box on the shelf, like on so many other shelves. And,
at least here, I'm not planning on constantly moving the stuff
around.

I doubt that it will hold up to the stress of being moved,
especially on carpet. It will likely twist and "rack" a bit each
time, further weakening whatever connects the pipes to the
chipboard shelves.

Or, you could use sturdy pipes and solid & thick joints.

In fact, I was thinking about using a thin shelving surface with
small blocks of 2 x 4 glued under the corners. That would provide
about 2 inches of sturdy contact with the pipe at each corner of
each shelf.

When you say "contact with the pipe", how do you envision building
this exactly? I've been assuming that you mean to use sections of
"pipe" as long as the space between the shelves. But I've reread your
original post, and now I think you intend to use one long pipe in each
corner, to run the full height of the unit. And you intend to "notch"
the pipe in some fashion to enable you to fasten the shelves? How do
you imagine that would work?

But I'm also thinking about using the wall as a brace, and using
only two pipes instead of four. Will see.

Perhaps I don't have enough information, and I am not the most
experienced guy here by any means. But what I understand you to mean
sounds like it will be wobbly and unattractive to boot. The 2x4
"blocks" alone should make it as ugly as homemade sin, but worse, I
don't think they'll add much to the strength.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Or maybe something like these Sterilite (plastic) Shelving Units,
with wheels added.

http://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-4-Sh...bxgy_hg_text_y

Great for storing Pampers and other lightweight materials.
However....putting heavy stuff on them...disaster

They're rated at 150-lb/shelf which ain't terrible and have good reviews
for sturdy from purchasers...look like be worth a chance't on one for a
trial w/ not much to lose...

http://www.rapidrack.com/

http://www.gorillarack.com/raptor/rhino-rack-i-75.html

http://www.gorillarack.com/about-us-i-61.html

I thought you wanted shelves to hold heavy stuff.. 150lbs..isnt
squat.

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Lots of folks forget the difference between Static Load and Dynamic
load.

And it costs them gear at the worst possible moment

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,free.UseNet,free.spam,free.spirit

Try reading the original post. Nobody said anything about holding
heavy stuff. Stop spewing your off-topic political garbage in an
improperly formatted signature. And get over yourself.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,free.UseNet,free.spam,free.spirit

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 00:34:11 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

Try reading the original post. Nobody said anything about holding
heavy stuff. Stop spewing your off-topic political garbage in an
improperly formatted signature. And get over yourself.

Feel free to police the dingleberries from my ass, jockstrap.

Gunner

1. Lie

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, November 22, 2012 5:31:34 PM UTC-6, John Doe wrote:
How about grabbing some rectangular pieces of wood, drilling holes

through the four corners of each piece, sticking pipes up through

the corner holes, and then attaching wheels to the bottom of the

pipes. Maybe using some wood glue on the wood to fortify the pipe

entry and exit points, with notches in the pipe for holding the

wood, etc.

The best strong and light shelving material, if not wood?

For storing tools and whatever other household items. Anywhere

between 3 feet and 6 feet tall. I noticed a design is to put two

wheels on one side but not on the other, wheelbarrow style.

I'm not trying to invent something, I'm asking for comments and/or

other ideas. Naturally I want the movable shelves to be sturdy but

light as possible. They will roll on low friction carpet here.

Thanks.

Sam's club stores sell some pretty simple and strong metal shelving units under the brand "Gorilla". We have four units in our basement and one in the garage. They are similar to heaver industrial shelving we used in our factory. Pin and slot assembly and the only tool needed for assembly is a hammer. Size is 4' wide x 18" deep x about 7' tall and the last unit we bought was around $65.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/25/2012 7:42 PM, RonB wrote:
[...]

Lowes has some nice wire shelves in various sizes from $55 to $75 You
can by four wheels for 5/wheel.

I suspect that Home Depot has something similar.

By the time you take the time, buy the wood and 2X2? you will have at
least that much in it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Feel free to police the dingleberries from my ass, jockstrap.

Gunner

I think you're holding back. Feel free to really ream some ass.

RP

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Gunner's right. They WILL hold 150 pounds per shelf, and sag quite a
bit. Try pushing a loaded one around on wheels and it will collapse
with a lot less weight.

Lots of folks forget the difference between Static Load and Dynamic
load.

True dat. When the wheel goes over a bump, and the '150#' shelf
has a 50# point load at the midpoint, and the shelf takes a permanent bend,
and the expensive item hits the floor...

You want (for wood) a torsion-box for stability, which means
shelves AND A BACK. And for steel, you want large margins of load,
before it's reasonable to add the rumble of little wheels to the problem.