Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Set 463

The mystery item looks right to keep such a tool lined up as a craftsman
tapped his way through an arc on glass in the days before diamond cutters
and revolving cutters.

Well, you make a good case for it being a glass cutter but it seems like
it will be difficult to prove one way or the other. Someone had it on
display at a tool collector's meeting, I don't know the person's name but
I'll see if I can contact him to find out if he has any further
information. I appreciate your interest in trying to figure out these
tools, some weeks I need all of the help that I can get.

Here is the reply from the owner when I asked for further information on the
tool:

"...the compass came with many other tools from Sweden and most likely is
from there. Each hole is of a slightly different size, is square and was
chiseled through the stock...(none of the holes were drilled). It most
likely was used for woodworking and would date to the later 1700s or the
early 1800s. the small 'mark' by the owner's initials would likely be a
masonic symbol."

Looks like for now there is no proof one way or the other, too bad we can't
find a reference on the web to nail this one down.