Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Odd Fastner

I am about to start building a couple of Great Wheel spinning wheels and
need a rather odd fastner. This is something I know has to be out there
somewhere, but I don't even know what to call it, which rules out a Google
search.

What I am looking for is two surface mounted rings that have mating lugs so
they can lock together. I am going to use them to attach a cover to the
front of the wheel so the axle and bearing will not show.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:

I am about to start building a couple of Great Wheel spinning wheels and
need a rather odd fastner. This is something I know has to be out there
somewhere, but I don't even know what to call it, which rules out a Google
search.

What I am looking for is two surface mounted rings that have mating lugs so
they can lock together. I am going to use them to attach a cover to the
front of the wheel so the axle and bearing will not show.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Deb

The only practical approach I can think of is to use heavy duty sheet
steel, double or triple layered if necessary. A hack saw, file, and a
drill press might be handy--maybe even a metal cutting band saw. You
could cut the threaded steel rod to suit the width. Would that get it done?
Posted to rec.woodworking

If I understand correctly:

Purchase a large, fine threaded nut and hacksaw it into thin rings. File and sand/polish round and smooth. Purchase mating lugs, as well.

I would think, for a spinning wheel, steel hardware isn't necessary. Purchase some appropriatly thick/thin brass & rod and thread the custom formed pieces. Threading brass should be easier than threading steel.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 17:52:02 -0500, "Dr. Deb"
wrote:

I am about to start building a couple of Great Wheel spinning wheels and
need a rather odd fastner. This is something I know has to be out there
somewhere, but I don't even know what to call it, which rules out a Google
search.

What I am looking for is two surface mounted rings that have mating lugs so
they can lock together. I am going to use them to attach a cover to the
front of the wheel so the axle and bearing will not show.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Are you looking for something like a cabinet latch?
http://tinyurl.com/9bzz8pc

Why not thread a cover to screw in?

--
Doctors prescribe medicine of which they know little,
to cure diseases of which they know less,
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote:

Are you looking for something like a cabinet latch?
http://tinyurl.com/9bzz8pc

"Tinnerman", a name I haven't heard in at least 30 years.

Most famous for the "speed nut", developed during WWII
and was another Cleveland firm in the fastener business.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:

I am about to start building a couple of Great Wheel spinning wheels and
need a rather odd fastner. This is something I know has to be out there
somewhere, but I don't even know what to call it, which rules out a

Google
search.

What I am looking for is two surface mounted rings that have mating lugs
so
they can lock together. I am going to use them to attach a cover to the
front of the wheel so the axle and bearing will not show.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Deb

Bill came the closest to what I think I want. The problem with what Larry
suggested is, there is the axle that I need to avoid any contact with as it
would essentially lock the wheel. I had thought about threadig the axle,
but realized that would not work.

I may just have to bite the bullet and form it. I do have a local machine
shop that might be able to get them to make it for me.

Imagine a 3 1/2 inch circle 1/2 inch wide with lugs on the inside 1/2 inch
long and raised just enough for the mating lug on the mating piece to slip
under it. I am thinking on using 3 lugs, as two will not give the sability
and any more than three is just more work.

Thanks

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 08:08:12 -0500, "Dr. Deb"
wrote:

Dr. Deb wrote:

I am about to start building a couple of Great Wheel spinning wheels and
need a rather odd fastner. This is something I know has to be out there
somewhere, but I don't even know what to call it, which rules out a

Google
search.

What I am looking for is two surface mounted rings that have mating lugs
so
they can lock together. I am going to use them to attach a cover to the
front of the wheel so the axle and bearing will not show.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Deb

Bill came the closest to what I think I want. The problem with what Larry
suggested is, there is the axle that I need to avoid any contact with as it
would essentially lock the wheel. I had thought about threadig the axle,
but realized that would not work.

A washer between the cap and axle would space it out to leave a very
small gap, preventing grab on the wheel hub. The cap could be turned
and feathered down for a thin edge. This would be axle-mounted and the
wheel would turn separately. For a mobile wheel, it might save
weight, too, making it easier for the ladies to move.

I may just have to bite the bullet and form it. I do have a local machine
shop that might be able to get them to make it for me.

CHA CHING!

Imagine a 3 1/2 inch circle 1/2 inch wide with lugs on the inside 1/2 inch
long and raised just enough for the mating lug on the mating piece to slip
under it. I am thinking on using 3 lugs, as two will not give the sability
and any more than three is just more work.

That sounds like a heck of a lot of work and expense, Deb. OTOH, try
to find someone who makes those by the gross. Oops, a light bulb just
lit for me. How about a metal button? The base could mount on the
hub and the cap would just snap on. You could adorn it with your
company/model name, even! Think Badge-a-Minit, but larger.
http://tinyurl.com/9mz96pc

--
You never hear anyone say, 'Yeah, but it's a dry cold.'
-- Charles A. Budreau
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/6/2012 8:08 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
Dr. Deb wrote:

[...]

DAGS various combination of the terms "twist lock round cover plate" and
take a look at the image results as you may find something that works.

Example:

https://www.google.com/search?q=roun...60344102e cc7

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=582463

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:

[...]

Would magnets to mount a wooden disk with a counterbore work for you?
Kerry

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:
Dr. Deb wrote:

I am about to start building a couple of Great Wheel spinning wheels and
need a rather odd fastner. This is something I know has to be out there
somewhere, but I don't even know what to call it, which rules out a

Google
search.

What I am looking for is two surface mounted rings that have mating lugs
so
they can lock together. I am going to use them to attach a cover to the
front of the wheel so the axle and bearing will not show.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Deb

Bill came the closest to what I think I want.

After I posted, I thought that I might "rivet" the pieces of metal
together (on one side).

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:

I am about to start building a couple of Great Wheel spinning wheels and
need a rather odd fastner. This is something I know has to be out there
somewhere, but I don't even know what to call it, which rules out a

Google
search.

What I am looking for is two surface mounted rings that have mating lugs
so
they can lock together. I am going to use them to attach a cover to the
front of the wheel so the axle and bearing will not show.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Deb

Larry, the twist lock is exactly what I was thinking of, just did not know
what to call it. Unfortuantely, I have not found one small enough. The hub
is going to be 5" in diameter and all I saw were larger.

Kerry, the magnets would do the job. mount three rare earth magnest and
turn the hub to fit inside the cover piece, kind of like a lidded box.

In fact, that is probably what I will go with. That way, you twist and
break the megnatic bond and the cover is off in your hand. Just pop it back
on and you are good to go.

That is what I love about this group, no one is afraid to share ideas and
someone has something that will work.

Thanks to all

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 06 Oct 2012 16:18:21 -0500, "Dr. Deb"
wrote:

Dr. Deb wrote:

I am about to start building a couple of Great Wheel spinning wheels and
need a rather odd fastner. This is something I know has to be out there
somewhere, but I don't even know what to call it, which rules out a

Google
search.

What I am looking for is two surface mounted rings that have mating lugs
so
they can lock together. I am going to use them to attach a cover to the
front of the wheel so the axle and bearing will not show.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Deb

Larry, the twist lock is exactly what I was thinking of, just did not know
what to call it. Unfortuantely, I have not found one small enough. The hub
is going to be 5" in diameter and all I saw were larger.

Yeah, those looked nice, but white plastic on a great wheel? Hmm...
http://www.amazon.com/Seachoice-Twis.../dp/B002VWGHEI
had 4.5 OD size for $7.73 + $4.74 s/h.

I saw several places which sold another nautical item today and the
best discounts were had at First Choice Marine.
http://www.firstchoicemarine.com/par...x?q=deck+plate
4" in black for $7.12.

Kerry, the magnets would do the job. mount three rare earth magnest and
turn the hub to fit inside the cover piece, kind of like a lidded box.

In fact, that is probably what I will go with. That way, you twist and
break the megnatic bond and the cover is off in your hand. Just pop it back
on and you are good to go.

Nice!

That is what I love about this group, no one is afraid to share ideas and
someone has something that will work.

Thanks to all

Yeah, this group is great.