Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 2012 DNC Convention Schedule

Dave wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 07:04:27 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
The exact definition of racism is controversial both because there
is little scholarly agreement about the meaning of the concept
"race", and because there is also little agreement about what does
and doesn't constitute discrimination.

Well Dave, I have never seen, nor heard any discussions about race
include the definitions you have proposed here.

The problem is that I didn't propose the top paragraph above, it was
quoted word for word from an online dictionary. Everybody keeps
telling me to go look up the word 'racist' in a dictionary, but it so
happens that more than one of them use wording similar to what's
above.

How do you explain that Mike?

Is that the excerpt from Wikipedia? If so, I had seen it however the
article does not use the statement that there is little scholarly agreement
in the same way you do in your assertions. I have not read every reference
to the word "racist" that google returned, but the ones that I had read did
not include groups defined by something other than ethnicity or race.
Specifically, they did not include groups such as plumbers, or even groups
such as financially underpriviledged. They all used the term in reference
to race and only highlighted that the term race is not fully agreed to in
terms of its granularity. So - how many definitions did you find that
included groups like plumbers?

That's how I explain that Dave.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 10:14:14 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
terms of its granularity. So - how many definitions did you find that
included groups like plumbers?

So what, now you're being fictitious? You don't do it very well. You
know damned well I threw plumber in there just as an example of
another group of people.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 10:14:14 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
terms of its granularity. So - how many definitions did you find
that included groups like plumbers?

So what, now you're being fictitious? You don't do it very well. You
know damned well I threw plumber in there just as an example of
another group of people.

No - I'm really not being fictitious. I only stuck with that because it's
what you threw in. Trying to explain that the term by its very definition
only relates to "race" related matters.

--

-Mike-