Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Blade tension

This may be a stupid question but how or what is the proper way to determine
the correct blade tension on a bandsaw? I think my last blade broke due to
it being too tight, but not certain. I want to make sure I don't do it
again.

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/8/2012 9:21 PM, Meanie wrote:
This may be a stupid question but how or what is the proper way to determine
the correct blade tension on a bandsaw? I think my last blade broke due to
it being too tight, but not certain. I want to make sure I don't do it
again.

Thanks

See: http://www.finewoodworking.com/pages/w00013.asp

You can make a DIY version. Something on my 'to make' list.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 21:23:26 -0400, GarageWoodworks wrote:

On 9/8/2012 9:21 PM, Meanie wrote:
This may be a stupid question but how or what is the proper way to determine
the correct blade tension on a bandsaw? I think my last blade broke due to
it being too tight, but not certain. I want to make sure I don't do it
again.

Thanks

See: http://www.finewoodworking.com/pages/w00013.asp

You can make a DIY version. Something on my 'to make' list.

On the other hand, Michael Fortune, also in Fine Woodworking, suggests
with a 1/2" blade, set the tension to the mark for 3/8" using your
your saw's tension gauge. In other words, less tension than Lonnie
Bird recommends is OK if your saw is otherwise set up correctly and
you feed the work through slow enough that the blade can clear out the
sawdust.

You probably need to be a paid online subscriber to view this:
http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolG....aspx?id=34055

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/8/2012 10:44 PM, Jim Weisgram wrote:
[...]

Thanks for posting that! I do think he exaggerated a little at 5:15.
Not sure he is going to be able to discern 1 thou gap btw the blade and
guide bushing by eye.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message
et...

[...]

Depends what he does for a living. I can.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Meanie" wrote in :

This may be a stupid question but how or what is the proper way to
determine the correct blade tension on a bandsaw? I think my last
blade broke due to it being too tight, but not certain. I want to make
sure I don't do it again.

Thanks

There's several methods for tensioning blades, and it depends on what
blade you're using as well as your saw. To summarize:

The "pluck" method: The blade is tensioned until there is a clear note
heard from the blade when it has been plucked with a finger.

The flutter method: The blade is set to some initial tension then the
saw is turned on. The tension is adjusted until the blade flutters then
stops fluttering. You'll have to do some reading on this, as this is
only a very basic description of the method. I believe Timber Wolf
blades recommend this method.

The "press" method: The blade is tensioned until pressing the blade
gently results in a certain amount of deflection.

Checking the gauge on the back might be effective as well, but the gauge
doesn't really measure anything. It essentally shows you how much your
spring is compressed, but not the pressure it's exerting on the blade.
If your saw is in good condition, there's no reason this won't work
properly.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/8/2012 9:23 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
On 9/8/2012 9:21 PM, Meanie wrote:
This may be a stupid question but how or what is the proper way to
determine
the correct blade tension on a bandsaw? I think my last blade broke
due to
it being too tight, but not certain. I want to make sure I don't do it
again.

Thanks

See: http://www.finewoodworking.com/pages/w00013.asp

You can make a DIY version. Something on my 'to make' list.

In 2007, GarageWoodworks wrote:

Pete,

Do you think it would be particularly difficult to make the tension
gauge in the picasaweb site? Seems like a nice project.

I was looking for ideas for a DIY band saw blade tensioner today and came
across this one:

http://picasaweb.google.com/vogeldp/BandSawTensionGauge

I think I am going to try and make it. It looks like the lower part of the
device pivots on a bar and the movement is measured by the dial indicator.
It looks like the bar would have to be exactly in the center to be
accurate.?. According to a FWW article I read, 5" of blade will stretch
0.001" for every 6,000 lbs of tension (over a 5" length of blade). For those
with a FWW account here is the article:
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...F.aspx?id=2702.
I don't like the one detailed in the article (I prefer a dial indicator over
feeler gauges).

Has anyone tried to make one of these before? Or have you made a better
one??

Thanks...

--
www.garagewoodworks.com

You may want to look at this version of Bird's commercial gauge.

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/8/2012 8:21 PM, Meanie wrote:
This may be a stupid question but how or what is the proper way to determine
the correct blade tension on a bandsaw? I think my last blade broke due to
it being too tight, but not certain. I want to make sure I don't do it
again.

Thanks

What works for me is to start with the "built in" tension gauge on your
saw. Test cut, tighten a bit, test cut, is it better, worse?

As blades wear they require different settings. Use your built in gauge
as a starting point and tweak from there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 04:00:10 -0600, Jim Artherholt wrote
(in article m):

[...]

I used this method for my Minimax and with 12" of blade exposed, I used a
dial indicator that measured down to 0.00001". With this resolution I could
get a clear reading of tension, then marked my saws tension scale (which was
reading wayyyy low). I really doubt a standard 0.001 dial gauge set at 5"
will provide much accuracy.
But.....

I've come to realize that being super accurate is way overrated and once you
have a blade tensioned properly as a reference, you can do it from now on
using the 'pluck test' or deflection tests with perfectly acceptable results.
-Bruce

Thanks...

--
www.garagewoodworks.com

You may want to look at this version of Bird's commercial gauge.

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 08:35:11 -0600, Bruce wrote:

I've come to realize that being super accurate is way overrated and once
you have a blade tensioned properly as a reference, you can do it from
now on using the 'pluck test' or deflection tests with perfectly
acceptable results. -Bruce

Agreed - that's what I do. "Twang" is good, "plunk" is bad - but if the
blade hits high C it's too tight :-).

carrying a cross.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 21:21:09 -0400, Meanie wrote:

This may be a stupid question but how or what is the proper way to
determine the correct blade tension on a bandsaw? I think my last blade
broke due to it being too tight, but not certain. I want to make sure I
don't do it again.

Thanks

This isn't complicated enough for most, just pluck the blade when it is
about the tune of E it is close, works for everything from 1/4" blades to
12" wide bandmill blades in a sawmill.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 08:35:11 -0600, Bruce wrote:

I've come to realize that being super accurate is way overrated and once
you have a blade tensioned properly as a reference, you can do it from
now on using the 'pluck test' or deflection tests with perfectly
acceptable results. -Bruce

Agreed - that's what I do. "Twang" is good, "plunk" is bad - but if the
blade hits high C it's too tight :-).

Does that mean I need a blade tensioner AND a tuning fork? ; )

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 13:26:17 -0400, "Meanie" wrote:

I've come to realize that being super accurate is way overrated and once
you have a blade tensioned properly as a reference, you can do it from
now on using the 'pluck test' or deflection tests with perfectly
acceptable results. -Bruce

Agreed - that's what I do. "Twang" is good, "plunk" is bad - but if the
blade hits high C it's too tight :-).

Does that mean I need a blade tensioner AND a tuning fork? ; )

It just means that you have to become familiar with your band saw
enough to know when it's not tracking properly and the blade tension
needs some maintenance.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 08 Sep 2012 23:15:54 -0400, GarageWoodworks wrote:

[...]

There's always feeler gauges.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jim Weisgram wrote in
:

There's always feeler gauges.

I've seen suggestions (Either in Bird or Duginske's book) for using dollar
bills or other pieces such pieces of paper. I can't seem to remove the
"gauge" without messing up the adjustment.

I set the side blocks by setting them to touch the blade and then back off
a hair. It might be farther than the gauges would have set, but it works
for me.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article om,
Puckdropper wrote:

I set the side blocks by setting them to touch the blade and then back off
a hair. It might be farther than the gauges would have set, but it works
for me.

I have roller blocks on my Delta, and set them so they just barely turn
when there's no pressure other than tension on the blade.

--
"I'll do the stupid thing first and then you shy people follow..." - Frank Zappa
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10 Sep 2012 19:41:56 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Jim Weisgram wrote in
:

There's always feeler gauges.

I've seen suggestions (Either in Bird or Duginske's book) for using dollar
bills or other pieces such pieces of paper. I can't seem to remove the
"gauge" without messing up the adjustment.

I set the side blocks by setting them to touch the blade and then back off
a hair. It might be farther than the gauges would have set, but it works
for me.

Puckdropper

Michael Fortune suggests cigarette paper rather than dollar bills.
That may be splitting hairs as well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jim Weisgram wrote in
:

On 10 Sep 2012 19:41:56 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Jim Weisgram wrote in
m:

There's always feeler gauges.

I've seen suggestions (Either in Bird or Duginske's book) for using
dollar bills or other pieces such pieces of paper. I can't seem to
remove the "gauge" without messing up the adjustment.

I set the side blocks by setting them to touch the blade and then back
off a hair. It might be farther than the gauges would have set, but
it works for me.

Puckdropper

Michael Fortune suggests cigarette paper rather than dollar bills.
That may be splitting hairs as well.

Cigarette paper is close to 0.001" thick. Standard printing paper is ~
0.002" thick, and a dollar bill is a bit thicker. Not exactly
calibration standards, but machinists used to use cigarette paper to
check cutter clearance. You crank the cutter down/in until you can feel
it catch between the tool and the work, and that gets your zero plenty
close enough for most work.

Doug White

Doug White
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 18:46:22 -0700, Jim Weisgram
Michael Fortune suggests cigarette paper rather than dollar bills.
That may be splitting hairs as well.

Might be cheaper too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

tetst

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 21:59:46 -0700, (Syamu Mamilla M3)
wrote:
tetst

Sorry, but you have to specify if that's a messaging test or a blade
tension test.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/11/2012 8:46 PM, Jim Weisgram wrote:
On 10 Sep 2012 19:41:56 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Jim Weisgram wrote in
:

There's always feeler gauges.

I've seen suggestions (Either in Bird or Duginske's book) for using dollar
bills or other pieces such pieces of paper. I can't seem to remove the
"gauge" without messing up the adjustment.

I set the side blocks by setting them to touch the blade and then back off
a hair. It might be farther than the gauges would have set, but it works
for me.

Puckdropper

Michael Fortune suggests cigarette paper rather than dollar bills.
That may be splitting hairs as well.

Absolutely splitting hairs, Minimax and Laguna will tell you that you
can run their saws with out the side guides.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Syamu Mamilla M3 wrote:
tetst

The "tetst" failed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/8/2012 6:21 PM, Meanie wrote:
This may be a stupid question but how or what is the proper way to determine
the correct blade tension on a bandsaw? I think my last blade broke due to
it being too tight, but not certain. I want to make sure I don't do it
again.

Thanks

This method works just fine for the average saw and the average blade:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...lutter-method/

Bandsaw Blade Tension Gauge? Davej Metalworking 5 April 13th 12 12:39 AM
Bandsaw blade tension? Nick UK diy 6 August 20th 11 03:10 PM
Bandsaw Blade Tension? HerHusband Woodworking 13 December 31st 06 04:06 AM
Bandsaw Blade Tension help?? George H. Woodworking 10 December 10th 06 02:37 AM