Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What gives?

Google has added something new that seems to totally close me out. I canh post, but I can't read!

Not handy.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, September 5, 2012 5:47:26 PM UTC-4, Charlie Self wrote:
Google has added something new that seems to totally close me out. I canh post, but I can't read!

Not handy.

Evidently, I have to post and then it gives me a chance to read the rest, most of which are from some asshole name Rama Khan or some such. Spam up the wazoo, and plenty of politics. Damned little woodworking.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie Self wrote:
On Wednesday, September 5, 2012 5:47:26 PM UTC-4, Charlie Self wrote:
Google has added something new that seems to totally close me out. I
canh post, but I can't read!

Not handy.

Evidently, I have to post and then it gives me a chance to read the
rest, most of which are from some asshole name Rama Khan or some
such. Spam up the wazoo, and plenty of politics. Damned little
woodworking.

There hasn't been a lot of woodworking discussion in several months Charlie,
but as for how to deal with google issues - why don't you ask google?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/5/2012 4:47 PM, Charlie Self wrote:
Google has added something new that seems to totally close me out. I
canh post, but I can't read!

Not handy.

Yes, the last thing Google has become is "handy"...

I'd suggest going to one of the free news servers and a newsreader of
your choice. I've been using nntp.aioe.org and Thunderbird but there
are several other options for servers and a veritable plethora of
clients. aioe's spam filtering isn't perfect but is _much_ better than
google's (which is, apparently, none) and T'bird makes it simple to set
up additional filters with which it is possible to eliminate almost
all--I see a few new ones pop up occasionally but another filter quickly
takes care of them--at the moment, anyway, the ones that are getting
thru aren't the most egregious; they're continuing to use the same id
rather than an individual munging (which, I suppose is why they don't
get taken care of by the aioe filtering).

Just me thoughts...$0.02, etc., etc., etc., ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 14:47:26 -0700 (PDT), Charlie Self
wrote:

Google has added something new that seems to totally close me out. I canh post, but I can't read!

Not handy.

Silly boy. Put your GLASSES on, y'ol fart!

Welcome back, Charlie. Long time no see.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Google has added something new that seems to totally close me out. I canh post, but I can't read!

Not handy.

Silly boy. Put your GLASSES on, y'ol fart!

Welcome back, Charlie. Long time no see.

I've popped in from time to time, but the combination of political bull**** and spam doesn't do much for me. For a while there, it seemed like woodworking was the last thing under discussion. All I did was lurk a bit, then head back to other territory. Age has somewhat slowed my woodworking, but from time to time I can get ol' Uncle Arthur under control and get something done. Supposedly, I've got some new kind of anti-inflammatory coming from VA: the PA says this one might work. It would be nice: I've managed to go almsot 60 years with losing my grip and slipping my hand into a blade or cutter. It is a record I enjoy keeping, but the arthritis can bitch it up if I'm not super careful.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Google has added something new that seems to totally close me out. I canh post, but I can't read!

Not handy.

Silly boy. Put your GLASSES on, y'ol fart!

Welcome back, Charlie. Long time no see.

I've popped in from time to time, but the combination of political bull**** and spam doesn't do much for me. For a while there, it seemed like woodworking was the last thing under discussion. All I did was lurk a bit, then head back to other territory.

Filters are your friend. I see about 20% of the total posts here
after filtering all the idiocy out. I'm probably too political for my
own good, too. sigh

Age has somewhat slowed my woodworking, but from time to time I can get ol' Uncle Arthur under control and get something done. Supposedly, I've got some new kind of anti-inflammatory coming from VA: the PA says this one might work. It would be nice: I've managed to go almsot 60 years with losing my grip and slipping my hand into a blade or cutter. It is a record I enjoy keeping, but the arthritis can bitch it up if I'm not super careful.

I hear that. I'm on Tramadol now. It helps keeps him using his
nickname, Art, and I have more energy now as a result. Pain used to
suck half the life right out of me. I still have all ten and plan to
keep them. I also have lost 28 pounds (trying for 40) and that makes
it easier to get around nowadays. People see me get up from a crossed
leg stance without using my hands and are amazed. g I'm pretty fit
for an old fart. Handymanning has its advantages.

Say "Hi" to Rob W. for me when you see him. We still trade email.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
-- J. Arthur Thomson
Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie Self wrote:
Google has added something new that seems to totally close me out. I
canh post, but I can't read!

Not handy.

So, don't use Google Groups.

Jeeze! Why do I have to think of everything?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Charlie Self wrote in
:

On Wednesday, September 5, 2012 5:47:26 PM UTC-4, Charlie Self wrote:
Google has added something new that seems to totally close me out. I
canh post, but I can't read!

Not handy.

Evidently, I have to post and then it gives me a chance to read the
rest, most of which are from some asshole name Rama Khan or some such.
Spam up the wazoo, and plenty of politics. Damned little woodworking.

Charlie, ditch google groups, get a newsreader, even if it is only
thunderbird. Most prefer Agent, but I'm partial to (free) XNews.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote in :

Charlie Self wrote in
:

On Wednesday, September 5, 2012 5:47:26 PM UTC-4, Charlie Self wrote:
Google has added something new that seems to totally close me out. I
canh post, but I can't read!

Not handy.

Evidently, I have to post and then it gives me a chance to read the
rest, most of which are from some asshole name Rama Khan or some such.
Spam up the wazoo, and plenty of politics. Damned little woodworking.

Charlie, ditch google groups, get a newsreader, even if it is only
thunderbird. Most prefer Agent, but I'm partial to (free) XNews.

You're wasting your time, Han. Charlie has been given that advice numerous times already,
and he stubbornly refuses to take it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Doug Miller wrote in
:

Han wrote in
:

Charlie Self wrote in
:

wrote:
Google has added something new that seems to totally close me out.
I canh post, but I can't read!

Not handy.

Evidently, I have to post and then it gives me a chance to read the
rest, most of which are from some asshole name Rama Khan or some
such. Spam up the wazoo, and plenty of politics. Damned little
woodworking.

Charlie, ditch google groups, get a newsreader, even if it is only
thunderbird. Most prefer Agent, but I'm partial to (free) XNews.

You're wasting your time, Han. Charlie has been given that advice
numerous times already, and he stubbornly refuses to take it.

Probably indeed wasting my time, Doug, but I like Charlie, and my wife
also says I am too helpful grin.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote in :

Doug Miller wrote in
:

Han wrote in
:

Charlie Self wrote in
:

wrote:
Google has added something new that seems to totally close me out.
I canh post, but I can't read!

Not handy.

Evidently, I have to post and then it gives me a chance to read the
rest, most of which are from some asshole name Rama Khan or some
such. Spam up the wazoo, and plenty of politics. Damned little
woodworking.

Charlie, ditch google groups, get a newsreader, even if it is only
thunderbird. Most prefer Agent, but I'm partial to (free) XNews.

You're wasting your time, Han. Charlie has been given that advice
numerous times already, and he stubbornly refuses to take it.

Probably indeed wasting my time, Doug, but I like Charlie, and my wife
also says I am too helpful grin.

I like him too, except when he's complaining about his newsgroup access problems.

I'd like him even then, if he was willing to take the steps needed to solve them. But he isn't.
So I've given up trying to help him.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, September 7, 2012 12:10:44 PM UTC-4, Doug Miller wrote:
Han

Charlie Self wrote in

:

On Wednesday, September 5, 2012 5:47:26 PM UTC-4, Charlie Self wrote:

Google has added something new that seems to totally close me out. I

canh post, but I can't read!

Not handy.

Evidently, I have to post and then it gives me a chance to read the

rest, most of which are from some asshole name Rama Khan or some such.

Spam up the wazoo, and plenty of politics. Damned little woodworking.

Charlie, ditch google groups, get a newsreader, even if it is only

thunderbird. Most prefer Agent, but I'm partial to (free) XNews.

You're wasting your time, Han. Charlie has been given that advice numerous times already,

and he stubbornly refuses to take it.

Doug,

I don't post here often enough any more to make it worth the effort.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, September 5, 2012 6:15:24 PM UTC-4, Mike Marlow wrote:
Charlie Self wrote:

On Wednesday, September 5, 2012 5:47:26 PM UTC-4, Charlie Self wrote:

Google has added something new that seems to totally close me out. I

canh post, but I can't read!

Not handy.

Evidently, I have to post and then it gives me a chance to read the

rest, most of which are from some asshole name Rama Khan or some

such. Spam up the wazoo, and plenty of politics. Damned little

woodworking.

There hasn't been a lot of woodworking discussion in several months Charlie,

but as for how to deal with google issues - why don't you ask google?

--

-Mike-

Google has no problems. Just ask Google. They'll tell you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie Self wrote:

Google has no problems. Just ask Google. They'll tell you.

Yeah - that's probably true. I just thought something like what you are
experiencing might have been in their FAQ, or something their "help" desk
might be able to assist with.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie Self wrote in
:

On Friday, September 7, 2012 12:10:44 PM UTC-4, Doug Miller
wrote:
Han

Charlie Self wrote in

:

Self wrote:

[...]

It's at most a ten or fifteen minute effort. If you're not willing
to make it, stop complaining about the results of that choice.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, September 22, 2012 9:40:36 AM UTC-4, Mike Marlow wrote:
Charlie Self wrote:

Google has no problems. Just ask Google. They'll tell you.

Yeah - that's probably true. I just thought something like what you are

experiencing might have been in their FAQ, or something their "help" desk

might be able to assist with.

If it is, I can't find it. I just downloaded Thunderbird to see if my luck has changed the it keeps trying to shunt me to eternal september, which ain't the hot set-up these days. Or it sure isn't for me. I've got a friend up in NY who is a whiz with computer horse****, so maybe he'll have time to set me straight.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Charlie Self wrote in
:

Charlie Self wrote:

Google has no problems. Just ask Google. They'll tell you.

Yeah - that's probably true. I just thought something like what you
are

experiencing might have been in their FAQ, or something their "help"
desk

might be able to assist with.

If it is, I can't find it. I just downloaded Thunderbird to see if my
luck has changed the it keeps trying to shunt me to eternal
september, which ain't the hot set-up these days. Or it sure isn't for
me. I've got a friend up in NY who is a whiz with computer horse****,
so maybe he'll have time to set me straight.

Charlie, lay out $10 and get 25GB of downloads from astraweb.com.
Choose your preferred username and password, and use that in the settings
for the newsreader portion of Thunderbird, as well as use the news server
news.astraweb.com.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie Self wrote:

Google has no problems. Just ask Google. They'll tell you.

Yeah - that's probably true. I just thought something like what you are

experiencing might have been in their FAQ, or something their "help" desk

might be able to assist with.

If it is, I can't find it. I just downloaded Thunderbird to see if my luck has changed the it keeps trying to shunt me to eternal september, which ain't the hot set-up these days. Or it sure isn't for me. I've got a friend up in NY who is a whiz with computer horse****, so maybe he'll have time to set me straight.

Giganews has a $4.99 account for 5 GB per month.

There is a 14 day free trial.

http://www.giganews.com/
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Markem wrote in
:

Charlie Self wrote:

Google has no problems. Just ask Google. They'll tell you.

Yeah - that's probably true. I just thought something like what you
are

experiencing might have been in their FAQ, or something their "help"
desk

might be able to assist with.

If it is, I can't find it. I just downloaded Thunderbird to see if my
luck has changed the it keeps trying to shunt me to eternal
september, which ain't the hot set-up these days. Or it sure isn't for
me. I've got a friend up in NY who is a whiz with computer horse****,
so maybe he'll have time to set me straight.

Giganews has a $4.99 account for 5 GB per month.

There is a 14 day free trial.

http://www.giganews.com/

I don't really do binaries, other than looking at woodworking pics. So
my $10 for 25 GB paid to astraweb.com in June 2010, of which I have used
just over 1 GB, was a better investment than $5/month at giganews ...

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 22 Sep 2012 16:55:49 GMT, Han wrote:

Markem wrote in
:

Charlie Self wrote:

[...]

I do not do binaries any more, my account is $2.95 a month which they
no longer offer. But there is also 5 GB storage available to me which
I do not use either. Have not had any problems with down time with
them though. The support is helpful and knowledgeable, and best
available with out voice mail hell.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 12:10:36 -0500, Markem
wrote:

On 22 Sep 2012 16:55:49 GMT, Han wrote:

Markem wrote in
m:

Charlie Self wrote:

[...]

Forte's Agent Premier News (APN) is just $2.95/mo for 15GB of traffic.
http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php
I highly recommend it. (4+ years and still happy with it)

--
Life is like one big Mardi Gras. But instead of showing your boobs,
show people your brain, and if they like what they see, you'll have
Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie Self wrote:

Google has no problems. Just ask Google. They'll tell you.

Yeah - that's probably true. *I just thought something like what you are

experiencing might have been in their FAQ, or something their "help" desk

might be able to assist with.

If it is, I can't find it. I just downloaded Thunderbird to see if my luck has changed the it keeps trying to shunt me to eternal september, which ain't the hot set-up these days. Or it sure isn't for me. I've got a friend up in NY who is a whiz with computer horse****, so maybe he'll have time to set me straight.

I don't know what "ain't hot" about it, but I use Eternal September
all the time, free. No binaries, of course, but that doesn't affect
me. Works like a charm. (Right now I'm using GG out of laziness - I
haven't set up ES on this computer yet).