Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Interesting idea, attempt 2

If this could be done cutting into a contrasting wood top...

http://www.homindeco.com/furniture-d...-table-modern-
traditional-designs/

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk wrote:
If this could be done cutting into a contrasting wood top...

http://www.homindeco.com/furniture-d...-table-modern-
traditional-designs/

basilisk

Great look. Wonder how they got the top and bottom of the stump co-planar.

--
G.W. Ross

Indecision is the key to flexibility.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/2/2012 8:28 PM, basilisk wrote:
http://www.homindeco.com/furniture-d...-table-modern-
traditional-designs/

Ok, what is happening is that your news writer, whatever you are using
to compose these posts, is breaking the line instead of wrapping the
line. Usually this is simply a matter of adjusting your settings/
options/ preferences to compensate for shortened line lengths.

If composing or sending in plain-text (many editors support this
option), it is always best to enclose the hypertext address within Less
than/ Greater than characters such
as...http://some_hypertext_address_here/

This will help keep things together when dealing with long http addresses.

Another possibility is http://tinyurl.com

I saw the original post and was intrigued by the concept, but I do not
know how it was, or is done with any degree of precision.

--
Digger
Bob O'Dell

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 21:38:18 -0400, G. Ross wrote:

basilisk wrote:
If this could be done cutting into a contrasting wood top...

http://www.homindeco.com/furniture-d...-table-modern-
traditional-designs/

basilisk

Great look. Wonder how they got the top and bottom of the stump
co-planar.

I don't know, I know how I would do it with what I have on hand,
cut and flatten the bottom, then set up a sight level and have an
assistant pencil mark on zero as far around as possible, rotate
piece and continue around until the whole circumference is marked,
clunky and time consuming, but it would get the job done.

Obviously, someone with production in mind, would not do it
that way.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

"G. Ross" wrote in message

basilisk wrote:
If this could be done cutting into a contrasting wood top...

http://www.homindeco.com/furniture-d...-table-modern-
traditional-designs/

basilisk

Great look. Wonder how they got the top and bottom of the stump co-planar.
================================================== ===========================
Router.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 2, 10:28*pm, "CW" wrote:
"G. Ross" *wrote in message

Great look. Wonder how they got the top and bottom of the stump co-planar..
================================================== =========================*==

Well, comparing that stump with the cedar log sections I've done, if
that stump is solid, it would be heavy as heck, really heavy.... and
awkward to move. I would suspect one couldn't move it without some
equipment or help. If the bottom were perfectly flat, one would have
even more trouble moving it by hand, unless it were on casters or
feet. As heavy as a solid stump would be, to try to move the table by
handling the table top, that top may pop off (separate from) the base.

It doesn't need to be flat on the bottom, just nearly so. Only 3
points need to touch, tripod like, to be stable on any relatively flat
surface. I would suspect there are at least 4 points of floor contact
on that stump. On my jardineires, there are 3 casters. On a table,
as shown, the top can be flat and whatever casters/feet, under neath,
can be adjustable to level the top. I would suspect the bottom's edge
is 1/2" off the floor, like an upholstered skirt on furniture, and
there are casters or feet, out of sight, under the base. No one would
ever know the top and bottom is not exactly coplanar. They just need
to be nearly so. And the bottom surface doesn't need to be perfectly
flat, either.

A method I use for trimming limb legs, on log slab table tops, is to
shim under the feet/legs until the top is level, then mark the bottom
(legs) relative to the floor. I'm making some side tables for a
friend and did this very leveling last night. Since the legs are not
straight cut lumber, one can't always simply measure, for trimming to
length.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
basilisk wrote:

If this could be done cutting into a contrasting wood top...

http://www.homindeco.com/furniture-d...-table-modern-
traditional-designs/

basilisk

I'll be a contrarian... Those are the ugliest pieces of crap I've seen
this year.

Seriously ugly.

Like someone started with ugly, then sprayed about 17 coats of even
uglier.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[This followup was posted to rec.woodworking and a copy was sent to the
cited author.]

In article d7966f06-75a3-4b48-b440-dcb034edf190
@a19g2000yqd.googlegroups.com, says...

Well, comparing that stump with the cedar log sections I've done, if
that stump is solid, it would be heavy as heck, really heavy.... and
awkward to move. I would suspect one couldn't move it without some
equipment or help. If the bottom were perfectly flat, one would have
even more trouble moving it by hand, unless it were on casters or
feet. As heavy as a solid stump would be, to try to move the table by
handling the table top, that top may pop off (separate from) the base.

It is highly doubtful to me that the tops would "pop off" the stump
base. From the description page given the tops are made of a smooth
surface of solid resin. Just looking at the pictures it is clear that
the resin is cast in place around the top of the stump. (Actually most
likely the resin is cast in a large shallow form / pan with the stump
inverted and sitting in the liquid resin as it sets up). After the resin
has solidified it is then likely sanded across the whole top to a very
nice shine and then post finished with a series of clear finish coats to
seal the wood.

I am not that familiar with large pieces of cast resin to know if it has
high strength or if special reinforcement is embedded into the cast
resin. One can note that in the picture examples it appears that the
tables with a more cantilevered design have tops that are thicker. This
may have to do with the strength of the materials.

There is a video interview with makers of the tables at the following
web link:

http://www.mthwoodworks.com/home

--

Michael Karas
Carousel Design Solutions

Posted to rec.woodworking

It is highly doubtful to me that the tops would "pop off" the stump
base. From the description page given the tops are made of a smooth
surface of solid resin. Just looking at the pictures it is clear that
the resin is cast in place around the top of the stump.

I am not that familiar with large pieces of cast resin to know if it has
high strength or if special reinforcement is embedded into the cast
resin. One can note that in the picture examples it appears that the
tables with a more cantilevered design have tops that are thicker. This
may have to do with the strength of the materials.

Michael Karas
Carousel Design Solutionshttp://www.carousel-design.com

I suspect the tables don't hold up well and the strength of the wood-
to-resin bond isn't strong enough to last any good reasonable time.
Western red cedar is not a strong wood and it's going to move, over
time, weakening the original bond. Some customer is going to try to
move their table by handling the top and I suspect that handling will
loosen it, if it doesn't pop completely off. mth Woodworks hasn't
been in business but a year. I'd be interested to see customer
feedback, after some reasonable time.

I'll be a contrarian... Those are the ugliest pieces of crap I've seen

this year.

Seriously ugly.

I don't like them, either.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message

[...]

If they put any thought in them at all, they would likely last at least 30
years.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 14:26:07 -0600, Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article ,
basilisk wrote:

If this could be done cutting into a contrasting wood top...

http://www.homindeco.com/furniture-d...-table-modern-
traditional-designs/

basilisk

I'll be a contrarian... Those are the ugliest pieces of crap I've seen
this year.

Seriously ugly.

Like someone started with ugly, then sprayed about 17 coats of even
uglier.

I don't like the resin tops either, but if the stump was fitted into
a contrasting wood top, it would be a nice piece.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk wrote:

If this could be done cutting into a contrasting wood top...

http://www.homindeco.com/furniture-d...-table-modern-
traditional-designs/

basilisk

I'll be a contrarian... Those are the ugliest pieces of crap I've seen
this year.

Seriously ugly.

Like someone started with ugly, then sprayed about 17 coats of even
uglier.

I don't like the resin tops either, but if the stump was fitted into
a contrasting wood top, it would be a nice piece.

Definitely not to my taste. I think a wood top MIGHT drop it back to
only 12 coats of even uglier.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 18:44:06 -0600, Dave Balderstone wrote:

snip
Definitely not to my taste. I think a wood top MIGHT drop it back to
only 12 coats of even uglier.

To each his own, I like the look of "as provided by nature".

basilisk