Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Router recommendations...

OK, I've had it to the point of throwing things...

Suggestions for a router w/ the specific use w/ Leigh dovetail jigs--the
Hitachi M12V I have has been frustrating for multiple reasons from day
one and this is the end. The base is so big and clunky it's always been
a pita to change bits; w/ the center guide in place w/ a dovetail bit
it's absolutely impossible to even get a wrench to it...

The smaller on hand is 1/4" collet and of course I went the 8mm route.

So, looking for any specific recommendations folks have that know...

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

I prefer routers with the 2 wrench set up to loosen and tighten the bit.
While the shaft lock seems to be cool I find it cool only when the

That said, the Bosch 1617 EVS has been around for a long time, I got
mine in 1998. It has a fine tune adjustment for height which is handy
for hitting the sweet spot on blind dove tails.

There are other fine routers out there with similar capabilities but
have not got the proven track record that the 1617 has. Festool would
probably be a safe bet. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...

OK, I've had it to the point of throwing things...

Suggestions for a router w/ the specific use w/ Leigh dovetail jigs--the
Hitachi M12V I have has been frustrating for multiple reasons from day
one and this is the end. The base is so big and clunky it's always been
a pita to change bits; w/ the center guide in place w/ a dovetail bit
it's absolutely impossible to even get a wrench to it...

The smaller on hand is 1/4" collet and of course I went the 8mm route.

So, looking for any specific recommendations folks have that know...

For my Leigh 24-inch dovetail jig I have a dedicated Porter-Cable 690 with
the D-handle base and I'm quite happy with it. Using the D handle makes the
router always approach the work in the same direction, minimizing the kinds
of problems that arise when the template guide is not exactly centered in
the base. 8mm collet adapters are readily available for that router.

Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
OK, I've had it to the point of throwing things...

Suggestions for a router w/ the specific use w/ Leigh dovetail
jigs--the Hitachi M12V I have has been frustrating for multiple
reasons from day one and this is the end. The base is so big and
clunky it's always been a pita to change bits; w/ the center guide in
place w/ a dovetail bit it's absolutely impossible to even get a
wrench to it...
The smaller on hand is 1/4" collet and of course I went the 8mm route.

So, looking for any specific recommendations folks have that know...

I can't be much help because I don't have the dovetail jig. However, I have
always liked my big Bosch...older than Leons.

Mainly I wanted to suggest that you check out Milwaukee. They seem to have
an intelligent design and if my Bosch ever quits, I'll be looking at them.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
OK, I've had it to the point of throwing things...

Suggestions for a router w/ the specific use w/ Leigh dovetail jigs--the
Hitachi M12V I have has been frustrating for multiple reasons from day
one and this is the end. The base is so big and clunky it's always been
a pita to change bits; w/ the center guide in place w/ a dovetail bit
it's absolutely impossible to even get a wrench to it...

The smaller on hand is 1/4" collet and of course I went the 8mm route.

I have two PC690's that I've been using as dedicated Leigh D4 routers for
years. For me they are just the right size, plenty of power, easy to handle
without fatigue, stable, plus they take various collet sizes and guide
bushings that are industry standard and that work out of the box with the
Leigh bits and fingers.

AAMOF, I'd almost be willing to bet that Leigh jigs were designed with the
690 in mind, since it was arguably once the most popular router around.

--
www.ewoodshop.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/2/2012 12:43 PM, dadiOH wrote:
dpb wrote:
OK, I've had it to the point of throwing things...

Suggestions for a router w/ the specific use w/ Leigh dovetail
jigs--the Hitachi M12V I have has been frustrating for multiple
reasons from day one and this is the end. The base is so big and
clunky it's always been a pita to change bits; w/ the center guide in
place w/ a dovetail bit it's absolutely impossible to even get a
wrench to it...
The smaller on hand is 1/4" collet and of course I went the 8mm route.

So, looking for any specific recommendations folks have that know...

I can't be much help because I don't have the dovetail jig. However, I have
always liked my big Bosch...older than Leons.

LOL, the 1617 is my newest Bosch. I have a Bosch 1611 that I got in
1988 IIRC. I have an old B&D 1/4" router that I bought when I was 19 in
1974.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
[...]

Yeah, mine is a 1611 too from about the same time. Beat you on the B&D
though, got mine in 1969. Paid about $100, very expensive at the time.
Looked the same as the later Elu which morphed into the Dewalt 610 but was
only 7/8 HP vs their 1.5HP and 1/4 collet vs their 1/4 & 1/2. It has been
used a lot.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/2/2012 4:12 PM, Swingman wrote:
wrote:
OK, I've had it to the point of throwing things...

Suggestions for a router w/ the specific use w/ Leigh dovetail jigs--

I have two PC690's that I've been using as dedicated Leigh D4 routers for
years. For me they are just the right size, plenty of power, easy to handle
without fatigue, stable, plus they take various collet sizes and guide
bushings that are industry standard and that work out of the box with the
Leigh bits and fingers.

That's the hands-on kind of input I was hoping for -- thanks, Karl. I
note at least a couple of other votes for it as well.

Being as there are no outlets around, one has to have pretty good input
or have had the opportunity to see/use one elsewhere for any of those
specifics--that's how I got burned on the Hitachi--it looked good value
on the web but you can't tell the "gotcha's" until it's in hand.

It's well-built, powerful, balanced well but has the quirks that just
kill all the good points...starting w/ the base is just far too bulky
and lacks a large enough opening in the casting to justify a 3+ hp
rating--a bit of the size to justify the heft can't fit in the opening
and adjust height...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Can you make another base plate? I made one out of sheet brass for my
DeWalt for a special purpose use.

--
G.W. Ross

Indecision is the key to flexibility.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Why sheet brass?

I made bases for my routers out of 3/8 acrylic.
My 196? craftsman router
My 1617evs units.
I made offset and round.. brass sheet, would be expensive, harder to
machine.

I don't understand why Bosch continues with the black bases. Having a
clear base is so much better. You can see clearly when you are coming to
an edge or endpoint.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I made a hook on the sheet that fit a tool rest so I could round off
heavy bowl blanks while hand turning them on the lathe. This was when
I had a light, POS HF lathe. I no longer need to do this. Picture on
ABPW.

--
G.W. Ross

Indecision is the key to flexibility.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/3/2012 9:10 AM, G. Ross wrote:
dpb wrote:

... that's how I got burned on the Hitachi--it looked good value
on the web but you can't tell the "gotcha's" until it's in hand.

It's well-built, powerful, balanced well but has the quirks that just
kill all the good points...starting w/ the base is just far too bulky
and lacks a large enough opening in the casting to justify a 3+ hp
rating--a bit of the size to justify the heft can't fit in the opening
and adjust height...

Can you make another base plate? I made one out of sheet brass for my
DeWalt for a special purpose use.

Undoubtedly could altho I've not investigated it thoroughly w/ that in
mind. I think it truly is too heavy to be fully satisfactory for use w/
the Leigh jig, anyway; I _was_, however, hoping to do something in
reasonably quick period of time here and that's gone pretty much by the
board. I cut them by hand yesterday afternoon in less time than spent
fooling around w/ the jig assembly and all...

Once get everything set up, I presume it will be a help when do get onto
the multiple items of same thing (namely drawers) that is on the
horizon; I just thought I'd make a trial run for a one-time thing as
practice and that turned into a quagmire mostly...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2012 10:11 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Why sheet brass?

I made bases for my routers out of 3/8 acrylic.
My 196? craftsman router
My 1617evs units.
I made offset and round.. brass sheet, would be expensive, harder to
machine.

I don't understand why Bosch continues with the black bases. Having a
clear base is so much better. You can see clearly when you are coming to
an edge or endpoint.

Given enough time I would think the clear will be scratched enough that
you will not be able to see through it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2012 2:04 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/3/2012 10:11 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Why sheet brass?

I made bases for my routers out of 3/8 acrylic.
My 196? craftsman router
My 1617evs units.
I made offset and round.. brass sheet, would be expensive, harder to
machine.

I don't understand why Bosch continues with the black bases. Having a
clear base is so much better. You can see clearly when you are coming to
an edge or endpoint.

Given enough time I would think the clear will be scratched enough that
you will not be able to see through it.

You can always sand then re-polish acrylic. 600 wet dry, up to 1200 ..
then a little polishing compound clears it up well.

I do that on the edges of the bases I cut.
I did my headlights using a kit that way recently.

Works well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2012 4:16 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
On 9/3/2012 2:04 PM, Leon wrote:
On 9/3/2012 10:11 AM, tiredofspam wrote:
Why sheet brass?

I made bases for my routers out of 3/8 acrylic.
My 196? craftsman router
My 1617evs units.
I made offset and round.. brass sheet, would be expensive, harder to
machine.

I don't understand why Bosch continues with the black bases. Having a
clear base is so much better. You can see clearly when you are coming to
an edge or endpoint.

Given enough time I would think the clear will be scratched enough that
you will not be able to see through it.

You can always sand then re-polish acrylic. 600 wet dry, up to 1200 ..
then a little polishing compound clears it up well.

I do that on the edges of the bases I cut.
I did my headlights using a kit that way recently.

Works well.

AH! Good to know. Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.amazon.com/1-2-8mm-Collet.../dp/B0035Y5QYI

and a used Porter Cable 690 (or equivalent) works great on mine.

(where is routerman when you need him...;-) Pat what model took over the
690?

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 22:11:08 -0400, "BobS" wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/1-2-8mm-Collet.../dp/B0035Y5QYI

and a used Porter Cable 690 (or equivalent) works great on mine.

(where is routerman when you need him...;-) Pat what model took over the
690?

Took over? The PC690 is still sold.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"BobS" wrote in message ...

http://www.amazon.com/1-2-8mm-Collet.../dp/B0035Y5QYI

and a used Porter Cable 690 (or equivalent) works great on mine.

(where is routerman when you need him...;-) Pat what model took over the
690?

The 690.
Forget the reducer. PC makes an 8mm collet.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 9/5/2012 9:11 PM, BobS wrote:

(where is routerman when you need him...;-)...

Well, he posted something but was pointless to the question.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Router recommendations...update

On 9/2/2012 10:14 AM, dpb wrote:
OK, I've had it to the point of throwing things...

Suggestions for a router w/ the specific use w/ Leigh dovetail jigs--the
Hitachi M12V I have has been frustrating for multiple reasons from day
one and this is the end. The base is so big and clunky it's always been
a pita to change bits; w/ the center guide in place w/ a dovetail bit
it's absolutely impossible to even get a wrench to it...

Well, I went back w/ a cooler head and w/o needing to have something
done immediately...

Started off to remove base casting and replace w/ shop-made--turns out
they used (apparently) power drivers to attach the plastic base and
over-torqued the screws to the point one stripped irrevocably. It'll
have to be drilled out and replaced to go any farther and not having a
metric replacement on hand I put that on hold, too...

So, went to the modification of the manual adjusting screw replacement
to the depth adjustment for use w/ the plunge feature and by careful
placement and some machinations of an additional holding jig (basically
a tubasix w/ a cutout for one handle an let the body rest against the
side to stop rotation) and manufacturing another wrench similar to the
supplied one but w/ some offset angle I managed to be able to tighten
the collet.

A test joint turned out not perfect first go, but looks like will
actually function as advertised in the end w/ some more practice...

One glitch I noted in the Leigh that I've not had time to investigate
whether it's a user error in adjustment or whether there's a
manufacturing flaw of some flashing or what is that one guide finger was
just enough out of line w/ the others that the router base would bump
against it and catch...it may be I didn't hold it down firmly enough
when adjusting; I'll check that possibility first when go back out again
of course...

I'm likely going to go the PC route as a longer term solution still,
though, but I think I'll wait 'til have opportunity to hold onto one
next time in Wichita or elsewhere first, though...the Hitachi despite
the size wasn't as problematic in use as thought was going to be--the
softstart is useful here for sure. I do like the handles and the on/off
switch for it; I do not like the lack of the flat top to quickly set it
down upside down while spinning and not worry about it tipping over...

Any router recommendations? GMM UK diy 11 March 15th 12 10:57 PM
Router recommendations Steve Barker[_6_] Woodworking 10 November 1st 10 12:07 PM
Router recommendations for router table alo UK diy 3 November 9th 09 06:38 PM
Router recommendations Josh UK diy 7 January 17th 05 04:49 PM
Router recommendations Eugene Woodworking 17 August 10th 04 05:47 PM