Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pool cue glue

I asked over in rec.billiards, but no one answered.

Last evening, I messed up two tips with SuperGlue. I had used it before
successfully. What is a good glue besides Tweeten's, which can be hard to
find? Is regular contact cement good? Another?

I need to make a mini lathe, and alignment rig that will do it right, but
until then, I'm stuck with a cheap clamp and glue.

The new tips I am looking at are up to $25 per tip, so I don't want any
screwups.

Help appreciated.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

I would expect the tip supplier to have an appropriate adhesive for
their tips.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 20:21:06 -0700, "Steve B"
I need to make a mini lathe, and alignment rig that will do it right, but
until then, I'm stuck with a cheap clamp and glue.

http://www.ozonebilliards.com/tiintipgl.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:
I asked over in rec.billiards, but no one answered.

Last evening, I messed up two tips with SuperGlue. I had used it before
successfully. What is a good glue besides Tweeten's, which can be hard to
find? Is regular contact cement good? Another?

I need to make a mini lathe, and alignment rig that will do it right, but
until then, I'm stuck with a cheap clamp and glue.

The new tips I am looking at are up to $25 per tip, so I don't want any
screwups.

Help appreciated.

Steve

If you are serious enough about the game to buy a $25 tip, then you
should pay someone to install it right. Certainly the diameter of the
tip and the diameter of the end of your queue are not identical... So
why "waste" a $25 tip and possibly ruin your queue over this?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/25/2012 11:21 PM, Steve B wrote:
I asked over in rec.billiards, but no one answered.

You asked yesterday and got two answers by today. You think people hang
around all day just to answer your questions?

Last evening, I messed up two tips with SuperGlue.

It wasn't super glues fault.

I had used it before successfully. What is a good glue besides
Tweeten's, which can be hard to
find?

Tweetens is not a good glue, super glue gel is a good glue for this.

Is regular contact cement good? Another?

Nope! and Nope!

Super glue gel is the way to go, detailed answer sent an hour ago on RSB.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 20:21:06 -0700, "Steve B"
I need to make a mini lathe, and alignment rig that will do it right, but
until then, I'm stuck with a cheap clamp and glue.

http://www.ozonebilliards.com/tiintipgl.html

Am going to Vegas tomorrow, and will check it out. Am going to stop by a
new pool supply house near my houses. Trop and Pecos area. Maybe even pick
up a measles ball. I can easily total a Franklin right now in my mind of
things I "need".

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jack" wrote

Super glue gel is the way to go, detailed answer sent an hour ago on RSB.

--
Jack

Noted. I will just be making a small alignment jig/clamp setup.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/26/2012 4:09 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Jack" wrote

Super glue gel is the way to go, detailed answer sent an hour ago on RSB.

Noted. I will just be making a small alignment jig/clamp setup.

If you get that to work well, I would love to see a pic, or get some
details. My attempts to do that came up short. I just use my fing-ees
and then run my tailstock lightly against the tip with a flat piece
against the tip. It works OK, but not automagically easy. I tried a
dished out thing that was more trouble than a help.

Here's a pic of what I use to hold the tip end of the shaft when
cleaning/sanding/finishing a shaft. It doesn't work well to press on
the tip, but I put a flat hunk of wood between it and tip and that works
OK, but care is needed, and an over sized tip.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/Tiptool1030712.jpg
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

I found Tweeten's to be absolutely useless, though it's possible I got a "bad" tube.

This is not so much a recommendation as just a data point for you. I've re-tipped a number of cues using a dab of boat epoxy (because that's what I had). Gives me more time to align than "super glue" but doesn't take all night to set like some glues. I assume it will be a pain if I ever need to redo one of those tips...

FWIW, I even broke the end off my cheap cue (split diagonally with the grain when I dropped it), and epoxied it back together. I've been breaking as hard as I can (which is pretty hard) for several years now without it failing.