Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Platform tool box design

I'm thinking about building a platform that will be nice and wide for short
people and kids to stand on to get a better look at a model railroad. I
figure about 6" would be tall enough.

The box would be built with an outside frame of 2x (either 2x4 or 2x6),
with a piece of plywood put on the top to form the platform. Now, for the
part that I've been wondering about... If I was to cut a piece for the
bottom that fit inside the frame, it would totally disappear during normal
use, but allow me to store things we need during setup and tear down of the
model railroad safely out of the way.

I think I'd hinge the bottom, but would need some kind of latch to keep it
closed during transport. Any suggestions for a simple latch that won't
show and be cheap to build while requiring only a hand to turn it?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Why not hinge the top?

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Maybe a custom made gravity/drop latch, like a self-latching garden
gate latch, on the inside, with a spring loaded push button release on
the bottom side.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 26 Aug 2012 in rec.woodworking, Puckdropper wrote:

I'm trying not to give any indications as to it being anything more
than just a platform. I suppose there's a way to hide the fact that
the top is hinged (or otherwise removable), but hinging the bottom
seemed like the easy way to go.

I don't have a good idea about how big you're talking, but how about
something like this - not necessarily the kit, just the design:

http://www.smithswood.com/proddetail.asp?prod=683

Make the long sides a bit deeper, put a bottom in it, hinge the top along
one side, between the side and the bottom of the top. Use hook-and-eyes
on the ends, on the side opposite the hinge, to latch it while it's in
use as a step.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/25/2012 10:26 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
I'm thinking about building a platform that will be nice and wide for short
people and kids to stand on to get a better look at a model railroad. I
figure about 6" would be tall enough.

I made this years ago and it is great.

http://jbstein.com/Flick/ToolTote.jpg

The box would be built with an outside frame of 2x (either 2x4 or 2x6),
with a piece of plywood put on the top to form the platform.

I used 1x cheap pine, but for the top I used Hardwood. I can stand on
it at 270 lbs with no problem. I see lots of totes with a dowel for a
handle, this is way, way better and more functional.

Now, for the
part that I've been wondering about... If I was to cut a piece for the
bottom that fit inside the frame, it would totally disappear during normal
use, but allow me to store things we need during setup and tear down of the
model railroad safely out of the way.

I don't know what you mean by disappear, but my mine is used anytime I
have to take tools out of my shop. The flat top works as a stool, but
also as a saw horse to cut stuff. When I fill it with tools, it can
weigh almost as much as me, so the bottom is dado'd in 1/4 in ply. I
keep some tools, like extra screwdrivers, 30' tape measure, a small hand
saw and hack saw Velcro'd to the sides, stuff that I rarely use in my
shop, but often use outside. You could store RR stuff in it as well.

I think I'd hinge the bottom, but would need some kind of latch to keep it
closed during transport. Any suggestions for a simple latch that won't
show and be cheap to build while requiring only a hand to turn it?

Mine is super simple design, super strong, and can be made in an hour or
so the first time, less the second time.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com