DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/344895-more-gibson-guitar-fine-wood-use.html)

Larry Jaques[_4_] August 15th 12 06:26 PM

More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

On 15 Aug 2012 12:51:07 GMT, Han wrote:

Jack wrote in :

On 8/14/2012 7:49 PM, HeyBub wrote:
It is a federal crime for a non-citizen to vote for a federal office.

It's a federal crime to break into our country and be here illegally,
and the Feds ignore that crime as well...

Agriculture as we know it would cease if we didn't have illegal aliens
harvesting ... Guess who hires them

I call BULL**** on that one, Han. With so many people out of work
right now, I'd bet not one of those jobs went empty for very long if
we were to finally deport all the illegals.

'Course, I also believe that folks on unemployment should be given
only a limited time of being able to turn down jobs not in their
particular line of expertise. After 6 months (or less?), they should
be required take any job they might qualify for (a couple days
training or less?) to get off the unemployment roles. Unlimited
unemployment checks breed worse things. Get 'em off their asses!

--
Make awkward sexual advances, not war.

Han August 15th 12 06:51 PM

More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Jack wrote in :

On 8/14/2012 7:49 PM, HeyBub wrote:
It is a federal crime for a non-citizen to vote for a federal
office.

It's a federal crime to break into our country and be here
illegally, and the Feds ignore that crime as well...

Agriculture as we know it would cease if we didn't have illegal aliens
harvesting ... Guess who hires them

I call BULL**** on that one, Han. With so many people out of work
right now, I'd bet not one of those jobs went empty for very long if
we were to finally deport all the illegals.

I'm going by reports of harvest gone unharvested when Alabama or Arizona
or both decided to let illegals deport themselves, and they did.

'Course, I also believe that folks on unemployment should be given
only a limited time of being able to turn down jobs not in their
particular line of expertise. After 6 months (or less?), they should
be required take any job they might qualify for (a couple days
training or less?) to get off the unemployment roles. Unlimited
unemployment checks breed worse things. Get 'em off their asses!

I think that much unemployment or underemployment stems from
insufficient wages. But then, we have gotten used to cheap food and
other things cheap, so we're not willing to pay what we in all
likelihood should. I agree that people should take a job, almost any
job once their unemployment runs out. Who (OTOH) is in charge of
generating jobs for those whose prior jobs have disappeared? All this
is hugely easy for me to say, because I don't need a job anymore ...

--
Best regards
Han

Just Wondering August 15th 12 07:08 PM

More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

On 8/15/2012 5:43 AM, Jack wrote:
On 8/14/2012 11:39 AM, Han wrote:
Jack wrote in :

On 8/13/2012 2:31 PM, Han wrote:

I find it funny that those who say that voter fraud is rampant never
seem to be able to get a link to established facts.

Please read this and you may be enlightened to why you don't get any
"established facts".

Sorry Han, I somehow left out the link to what I wanted you to read.

http://tinyurl.com/3dv729h

Please read it, and perhaps you will get an inkling as to what sort of
corruption is going on, and has been going on in this country.

It is difficult to establish "facts" if you
can't get the wolves to investigate their own duplicity. The facts
that are "established" as in court convictions are not reported much
in the lame stream media.

If voter fraud is so rampant, surely you can find some convictions ...

A simple google search will turn up a bunch. 113 were convicted just
in Minnesota since the last election, and if you read the article I
posted, you should be totally amazed anyone ever gets convicted of
voter fraud. The freaking politicians make it almost impossible to
uncover the fraud, and when it is, the refuse to do anything about it.
Acorn has had a slew of crooks convicted of voter fraud, but again, it
is totally amazing that anyone ever gets convicted, considering the
politicians do everything in their power to ignore what is going on,
and generally refuse to do anything about it when thrown in their
face, as the above referenced article clearly addresses.

That would be turning their backs on their constituents. There's no way
they would do that.

Just Wondering August 15th 12 07:10 PM

On 8/15/2012 6:13 AM, Jack wrote:
On 8/14/2012 7:49 PM, HeyBub wrote:
It is a federal crime for a non-citizen to vote for a federal office.

It's a federal crime to break into our country and be here illegally,
and the Feds ignore that crime as well...

I've read the federal statute. It is not a crime to enter the country
illegally. The consequences are all civil, not criminal. For example,
an illegal alien can be deported, but without more cannot be sentenced
to a prison term.

Mike Marlow[_2_] August 15th 12 07:20 PM

Larry Jaques wrote:

I call BULL**** on that one, Han. With so many people out of work
right now, I'd bet not one of those jobs went empty for very long if
we were to finally deport all the illegals.

Not so sure Larry. There have been more times when I've hears "i would not
work for that wage", or "I would not do that", than would cause me to
believe that the unemployment roles are filled with people willing to do
that agricultural work. In fact - if that were the case, those people could
be right at work besides the migrant workers even as we speak. How many
unemployed people have you heard say that they would take those crop jobs?
I am calling BULL**** on your comment.

Mike Marlow[_2_] August 15th 12 07:22 PM

Larry Jaques wrote:

'Course, I also believe that folks on unemployment should be given
only a limited time of being able to turn down jobs not in their
particular line of expertise.

Either you don't know a damned thing about unemployment, or things must run
very differently out there than they do here in NY.

After 6 months (or less?), they should
be required take any job they might qualify for (a couple days
training or less?) to get off the unemployment roles. Unlimited
unemployment checks breed worse things. Get 'em off their asses!

Yeah - sounds good to spout that kind of **** when you are talking about
other people. You are being an ass Larry.

--

-Mike-

basilisk[_2_] August 15th 12 07:37 PM

More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

On 15 Aug 2012 17:51:20 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Jack wrote in :

[...]

Who is John Galt?

basilisk

Lew Hodgett[_6_] August 15th 12 07:57 PM

More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

You are being an ass Larry.

------------------------------------
Just doing what comes naturally.

Lew

Just Wondering August 15th 12 10:03 PM

On 8/15/2012 12:20 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

I call BULL**** on that one, Han. With so many people out of work
right now, I'd bet not one of those jobs went empty for very long if
we were to finally deport all the illegals.

Not so sure Larry. There have been more times when I've hears "i would not
work for that wage", or "I would not do that", than would cause me to
believe that the unemployment roles are filled with people willing to do
that agricultural work. In fact - if that were the case, those people could
be right at work besides the migrant workers even as we speak. How many
unemployed people have you heard say that they would take those crop jobs?
I am calling BULL**** on your comment.

There's a geographical disconnect on that comparison. Most of the
unemployed live in cities. Most of the agricultural jobs are out in the
country. There's no easy way physically for the urban unemployed to get
to and from the fields.
But without illegal aliens doing the low-paying urban jobs (fast food,
janitorial, etc.), the urban unemployed could take those jobs.

Just Wondering August 15th 12 10:06 PM

On 8/15/2012 12:22 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

'Course, I also believe that folks on unemployment should be given
only a limited time of being able to turn down jobs not in their
particular line of expertise.

Either you don't know a damned thing about unemployment, or things must run
very differently out there than they do here in NY.

After 6 months (or less?), they should
be required take any job they might qualify for (a couple days
training or less?) to get off the unemployment roles. Unlimited
unemployment checks breed worse things. Get 'em off their asses!

Yeah - sounds good to spout that kind of **** when you are talking about
other people. You are being an ass Larry.

What is your proposal? Do you have some other means to induce those
folk to find productive work? If so, how would you do it? If not, do
you propose to force Larry and me through our taxes to support those
people indefinitely while they sit home and watch TV all day?

Scott Lurndal August 15th 12 10:46 PM

Larry Jaques wrote:

'Course, I also believe that folks on unemployment should be given
only a limited time of being able to turn down jobs not in their
particular line of expertise.

Either you don't know a damned thing about unemployment, or things must run
very differently out there than they do here in NY.

After 6 months (or less?), they should
be required take any job they might qualify for (a couple days
training or less?) to get off the unemployment roles. Unlimited
unemployment checks breed worse things. Get 'em off their asses!

Yeah - sounds good to spout that kind of **** when you are talking about
other people. You are being an ass Larry.

What is your proposal? Do you have some other means to induce those
folk to find productive work?

You seem to be under the somewhat mistaken assumption that "those folk"
aren't doing everything in their power to _find_ work.

If so, how would you do it? If not, do
you propose to force Larry and me through our taxes to support those
people indefinitely while they sit home and watch TV all day?

You've a seriously warped understanding of the unemployed.

You also seem to be unaware of the fact that unemployment insurance
is not indefinite, nor is welfare.

You seem to be one of the lucky ones that hasn't lost a job and found
it difficult to find another. My SO sells capital medical equipment to
hospitals and clinics (MRI, CT, XRay, etc). She lost her job over 18
months ago now[*], and cannot find another in that field, in general medical
device sales, or in other non-related sales opportunities. She spends
6 to 8 hours daily responding to want-ads, on-line resume farms, every
medical device company in the western half of the US, and is frankly
miserable about the whole thing.

Telling someone who has spent 20 years in medical device sales to go
pick tomatoes is the type of republican lack of respect for the individual
that is characteristic of the modern republican politician.
[*] company went out of business.

Richard[_9_] August 15th 12 10:58 PM

On 8/15/2012 1:37 PM, basilisk wrote:

I think that much unemployment or underemployment stems from
insufficient wages. But then, we have gotten used to cheap food and
other things cheap, so we're not willing to pay what we in all
likelihood should. I agree that people should take a job, almost any
job once their unemployment runs out. Who (OTOH) is in charge of
generating jobs for those whose prior jobs have disappeared? All this
is hugely easy for me to say, because I don't need a job anymore ...

Who is John Galt?

basilisk

Appropriate question...

Swingman August 15th 12 11:04 PM

More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

Han wrote:
Yes it would get much more expensive. Much more equitable to the workers
as well. And I would be hugely in favor of legalizing immigrant workers,
of course with some regulation. That's how I got here after all. Fill
out the paperwork ...

+1

--
www.ewoodshop.com

Mike M August 15th 12 11:32 PM

More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 14:20:13 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Basically I agree with you, but hopefully some fairness should apply.
Try to put yourself in their situation. Some traumatic medical
condition has left you unable to do your former job, is it fair to go
make you pick crops for minimum wage. I don't see a lot of us on this
group surviving many days of agricultural work at our age.

Mike M

Mike M

Mike Marlow[_2_] August 15th 12 11:33 PM

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Correct - but that's only because most of the population is centered in and
around cities. I contend that even in rural areas, where unemployment is
high, there are not lines of people trying to get that kind of job.

But without illegal aliens doing the low-paying urban jobs (fast food,
janitorial, etc.), the urban unemployed could take those jobs.

Could - yes. Would - I believe... not so much. Part of the reason that
those illegals can get those jobs is because legals here did not take them.

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow[_2_] August 15th 12 11:37 PM

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

You and Larry? I pay those same taxes so I am as burdened by it as you. It
is easy to say that someone else should take any job at any pay rate, when
you are talking about someone else. Even easier when one says that from a
position where they are comfortable with what they are earning. That
however, does not take into consideration the very real financial needs of
people. There are tens of thousands of people who are out there looking for
any kind of decent work after having lost good paying jobs. People at all
levels. To just say they should take any minumum wage job is a bit
presumptuous. Sit home and watch TV all day? I'm sure there is some
percentage of the unemployed population that does just that, but there is a
huge population of unemployed who were very successful, contributing members
of society. Do you really understand what the unemployed roles even look
like today?

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow[_2_] August 15th 12 11:41 PM

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

The only problem with agreeing with Larry's point is that there is no such
thing as unlimited unemployment checks. Sounds good if you want to close
with a statement like "Get 'em off their asses", but it's only rhetorical.
Those two sentences only serve to show a lack of understanding for what the
world of the unemployed really looks like today.

--

-Mike-

Just Wondering August 16th 12 01:42 AM

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

That's a result of supply and demand. If the crops had to come in, and
the illegals were not there to do the job, farmers would have to pay
what the market demanded for their labor costs. Which would make your
and my grocery bill that much higher, but that's another story.

Richard[_9_] August 16th 12 02:00 AM

On 8/15/2012 7:42 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

That's a result of supply and demand. If the crops had to come in, and
the illegals were not there to do the job, farmers would have to pay
what the market demanded for their labor costs. Which would make your
and my grocery bill that much higher, but that's another story.

No, actually that's the entire story in a nut shell.

Dave[_52_] August 16th 12 02:01 AM

More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 18:42:32 -0600, Just Wondering
That's a result of supply and demand. If the crops had to come in, and
the illegals were not there to do the job, farmers would have to pay
what the market demanded for their labor costs. Which would make your
and my grocery bill that much higher, but that's another story.

And worse than that, a number of those farmers might go out of
business because they couldn't make enough profit ~ resulting in even
higher prices for the consumer.

-MIKE- August 16th 12 02:43 AM

On 8/15/12 8:01 PM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 18:42:32 -0600, Just Wondering
That's a result of supply and demand. If the crops had to come in, and
the illegals were not there to do the job, farmers would have to pay
what the market demanded for their labor costs. Which would make your
and my grocery bill that much higher, but that's another story.

And worse than that, a number of those farmers might go out of
business because they couldn't make enough profit ~ resulting in even
higher prices for the consumer.

They already don't make enough money which is why we subsidize them.
I don't know about you, but I don't need a artificially low priced can
of corn.
We're paying the higher price already, through our taxes, so why not
just pay a buck a can and lower our taxes. Oh that's right, once the
government takes your money, there's no going back.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Mike Marlow[_2_] August 16th 12 02:54 AM

Just Wondering wrote:

That's a result of supply and demand. If the crops had to come in,
and the illegals were not there to do the job, farmers would have to
pay what the market demanded for their labor costs. Which would make
your and my grocery bill that much higher, but that's another story.

Agreed on that point, but that is a different scenario. It's not what
exists now. So - while we agree on what you say above, it's a bit removed
from what we were previously discussing.

--

-Mike-

Larry Jaques[_4_] August 16th 12 03:05 AM

Jack wrote in :

On 8/14/2012 7:49 PM, HeyBub wrote:
It is a federal crime for a non-citizen to vote for a federal
office.

It's a federal crime to break into our country and be here
illegally, and the Feds ignore that crime as well...

Agriculture as we know it would cease if we didn't have illegal aliens
harvesting ... Guess who hires them

I call BULL**** on that one, Han. With so many people out of work
right now, I'd bet not one of those jobs went empty for very long if
we were to finally deport all the illegals.

I'm going by reports of harvest gone unharvested when Alabama or Arizona
or both decided to let illegals deport themselves, and they did.

Did you mean Georgia? The farmers should have known that was coming
and made sure they had workers lined up beforehand, don't you think?
Or, if the state gov't pushed the deadline or hit them without
warning, they should have helped find workers for the farmers, don't
you think? I'm thinking the two groups bent -themselves- over this
time.

'Course, I also believe that folks on unemployment should be given
only a limited time of being able to turn down jobs not in their
particular line of expertise. After 6 months (or less?), they should
be required take any job they might qualify for (a couple days
training or less?) to get off the unemployment roles. Unlimited
unemployment checks breed worse things. Get 'em off their asses!

I think that much unemployment or underemployment stems from
insufficient wages. But then, we have gotten used to cheap food and
other things cheap, so we're not willing to pay what we in all
likelihood should. I agree that people should take a job, almost any
job once their unemployment runs out. Who (OTOH) is in charge of
generating jobs for those whose prior jobs have disappeared? All this
is hugely easy for me to say, because I don't need a job anymore ...

That's just it. Unemployment isn't running out. Some people have been
on it for over three years, Han! I think that after whatever the
initial run is (I think it was 13 weeks when I last used it, back in
the '70s) and the unemployed person hasn't found work, they should be
forced to take whatever job IS available in their town, at their
unemployment office. If the wages are less than their unemployment
check (usually for very highly paid people), maybe cover the
difference? But the unemployment office isn't forcing anything. That
should change. Forcing unearned money on people isn't good for anyone
involved: Not the worker, not the EDD office, and not the taxpayers.

--
Make awkward sexual advances, not war.

Larry Jaques[_4_] August 16th 12 03:11 AM

More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

You totally overlooked my qualification there. I said "which they
qualify for", meaning that neither you 90 year olds nor the 1-legged
folks have to pick cotton...much.

--
Make awkward sexual advances, not war.

Han August 16th 12 12:27 PM

More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On 15 Aug 2012 17:51:20 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
m:

[...]

Alabama. This is a site that promotes the law that says you have to be
legal grin and led to the harvesting problems
http://www.alipac.us/f12/ala-governo...eting-illegal-
immigrants-257760/

[...]

I'm not familiar with all the laws about unemployment, especially since
they seem to change often in terms of time periods covered. The problem
is not unemployment compensation in general, but the way the US (in
general) fails to generate employment and educational opportunities,
especially when the economy turns sour. I think that covering the
difference between previous high wages and the lower wages in current
opportunities has been considered in some places. But that can get dicey
very fast, especially in the middle income ranges. Example: Your
previous job had generous benefits and pension arrangements, but you were
RIF'ed. There is a new job somewhere else, but at 60% of your previous
wages, with less benefits and pension arrangements. If you do take that,
not only will you have to really limit your expenditures (including
probably selling your house at a moment it isn't advantageous), but your
resume will show that precipitous decrease. Not good for the next job.
Maybe that scenario isn't too important for farm workers and others, but
it is a very important point to a large portion of currently unemployed
middle income people.

--
Best regards
Han

basilisk[_2_] August 16th 12 01:20 PM

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Picking tomatoes is honorable work that pays real dollars.

basilisk

Tim Daneliuk August 16th 12 02:34 PM

More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

On 08/15/2012 10:47 AM, Han wrote:
" wrote in
:

Jack wrote in :

On 8/14/2012 7:49 PM, HeyBub wrote:
It is a federal crime for a non-citizen to vote for a federal
office.

It's a federal crime to break into our country and be here
illegally, and the Feds ignore that crime as well...

Agriculture as we know it would cease if we didn't have illegal aliens
harvesting ... Guess who hires them

It wouldn't cease at all. It might get more expensive, or, *perhaps*
Congress could come up with some great idea to allow *legal* seasonal
workers. Legalizing and regulating; what a concept. Nah, then it
would be too hard to get them to vote.

Yes it would get much more expensive. Much more equitable to the workers
as well. And I would be hugely in favor of legalizing immigrant workers,
of course with some regulation. That's how I got here after all. Fill
out the paperwork ...

Tall fences, wide gates.

Tim Daneliuk

John H. Gohde August 16th 12 03:01 PM

On Aug 15, 2:08*pm, Just Wondering wrote:
On 8/15/2012 5:43 AM, Jack wrote:

On 8/14/2012 11:39 AM, Han wrote:
Jack wrote :

On 8/13/2012 2:31 PM, Han wrote:

[...]

No one cares about the self-centered, moronic comments of an absolute
nobody who is a few beers short of a six pack. Just shy of 60 years
old, how come you are are already suffering from age-related dementia?

[email protected] August 16th 12 03:03 PM

More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

On 15 Aug 2012 15:47:39 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
:

Jack wrote in :

On 8/14/2012 7:49 PM, HeyBub wrote:
It is a federal crime for a non-citizen to vote for a federal
office.

It's a federal crime to break into our country and be here
illegally, and the Feds ignore that crime as well...

Agriculture as we know it would cease if we didn't have illegal aliens
harvesting ... Guess who hires them

It wouldn't cease at all. It might get more expensive, or, *perhaps*
Congress could come up with some great idea to allow *legal* seasonal
workers. Legalizing and regulating; what a concept. Nah, then it
would be too hard to get them to vote.

Yes it would get much more expensive. Much more equitable to the workers
as well. And I would be hugely in favor of legalizing immigrant workers,
of course with some regulation. That's how I got here after all. Fill
out the paperwork ...

Equitable? Are you saying that you weren't paid what you were worth?
Obviously that's not true because you took the job.

[email protected] August 16th 12 03:05 PM

Jack wrote in :

On 8/14/2012 7:49 PM, HeyBub wrote:
It is a federal crime for a non-citizen to vote for a federal
office.

It's a federal crime to break into our country and be here
illegally, and the Feds ignore that crime as well...

Agriculture as we know it would cease if we didn't have illegal aliens
harvesting ... Guess who hires them

I call BULL**** on that one, Han. With so many people out of work
right now, I'd bet not one of those jobs went empty for very long if
we were to finally deport all the illegals.

I'm going by reports of harvest gone unharvested when Alabama or Arizona
or both decided to let illegals deport themselves, and they did.

Perhaps if government didn't pay half the people to do nothing, someone would
decide that work wasn't all bad.

'Course, I also believe that folks on unemployment should be given
only a limited time of being able to turn down jobs not in their
particular line of expertise. After 6 months (or less?), they should
be required take any job they might qualify for (a couple days
training or less?) to get off the unemployment roles. Unlimited
unemployment checks breed worse things. Get 'em off their asses!

I think that much unemployment or underemployment stems from
insufficient wages. But then, we have gotten used to cheap food and
other things cheap, so we're not willing to pay what we in all
likelihood should. I agree that people should take a job, almost any
job once their unemployment runs out. Who (OTOH) is in charge of
generating jobs for those whose prior jobs have disappeared? All this
is hugely easy for me to say, because I don't need a job anymore ...

Where "insufficient wages" == "less than the government steals for me"

Jack August 16th 12 03:20 PM

On 8/15/2012 5:46 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

You seem to be under the somewhat mistaken assumption that "those folk"
aren't doing everything in their power to _find_ work.

You seem to be the one mistaken.

If so, how would you do it? If not, do
you propose to force Larry and me through our taxes to support those
people indefinitely while they sit home and watch TV all day?

You've a seriously warped understanding of the unemployed.

I think he has it spot on.

Telling someone who has spent 20 years in medical device sales to go
pick tomatoes is the type of republican lack of respect for the individual
that is characteristic of the modern republican politician.

Telling someone that they have to give their hard earned money to
support someone not willing to take a job in another field after 18
months of looking for work in their field is the type of disrespect that
drives Americans to detest the modern day democrat (socialist) politician.

--
Jack
Got Change: More Unemployment! More Debt! More Fraud! Less Freedom!

[email protected] August 16th 12 03:33 PM

More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

On 16 Aug 2012 11:27:21 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

[...]

You're both right (I live in both states ;-). There was no surprise, here.

[...]

Absolute nonsense. Everyone is offered an education, some several times.
Because they choose not to participate isn't my problem. It shouldn't be the
(federal) government's either.

especially when the economy turns sour. I think that covering the
difference between previous high wages and the lower wages in current
opportunities has been considered in some places.

That's absurd. Why the hell would I work at a high-stress job if the
government (you) is going to pay me to loaf?

But that can get dicey
very fast, especially in the middle income ranges. Example: Your
previous job had generous benefits and pension arrangements, but you were
RIF'ed. There is a new job somewhere else, but at 60% of your previous
wages, with less benefits and pension arrangements. If you do take that,
not only will you have to really limit your expenditures (including
probably selling your house at a moment it isn't advantageous), but your
resume will show that precipitous decrease. Not good for the next job.
Maybe that scenario isn't too important for farm workers and others, but
it is a very important point to a large portion of currently unemployed
middle income people.

If you want a life with no risk (but also with no reward), why did you move to
the US, Han? Freedom to succeed is also the freedom to fail. You *can't*
have one without the other.

[email protected] August 16th 12 03:36 PM

More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

That theory falls apart in places like Iowa, where after raiding a meat
packaging plant (Hormel?), they had *no* problem hiring locals at the same
wage.

Larry Jaques[_4_] August 16th 12 03:36 PM

[...]

Jesus, Han. You really -are- a liberal. sigh OK, how long did
farmers (and others who employ illegals) have to comply with laws
which were already on the books? How long did they have between the
time the bill was introduced and passed? The time frame is likely
_years, not just months. Why hadn't they rehired _legal_ replacements
during those many months and years, hmm?

[...]

You're absolutely right. Since CONgress is all about power and money,
that's the way they think. They have no idea what honesty, truth,
integrity, or good work feel like.

I think that covering the
difference between previous high wages and the lower wages in current
opportunities has been considered in some places. But that can get dicey
very fast, especially in the middle income ranges. Example: Your
previous job had generous benefits and pension arrangements, but you were
RIF'ed. There is a new job somewhere else, but at 60% of your previous
wages, with less benefits and pension arrangements. If you do take that,
not only will you have to really limit your expenditures (including
probably selling your house at a moment it isn't advantageous), but your
resume will show that precipitous decrease. Not good for the next job.
Maybe that scenario isn't too important for farm workers and others, but
it is a very important point to a large portion of currently unemployed
middle income people.

If people hadn't been living so _far_ above their means in the first
place, the reduction wouldn't hurt nearly as bad and wouldn't cause
many of them to lose their homes, etc.

I also believe that many, if not most, middle management jobs
shouldn't have ever existed, so don't get me started there. ;)

It'll hurt, with millions losing their jobs, but we need to shear off
all the unnecessary governmental divisions NOW. Duplication is really
rampant when as many as 30 agencies cover the same tasks. I don't
even want to hear about deficits when they can be immediately reversed
by cutting the minions who spend them. I want to see the US -debt-
start going down and down in my lifetime, please!

--
All of us want to do well. But if we do not do
good, too, then doing well will never be enough.

Jack August 16th 12 03:42 PM

On 8/15/2012 2:10 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 8/15/2012 6:13 AM, Jack wrote:
On 8/14/2012 7:49 PM, HeyBub wrote:
It is a federal crime for a non-citizen to vote for a federal office.

It's a federal crime to break into our country and be here illegally,
and the Feds ignore that crime as well...

I've read the federal statute. It is not a crime to enter the country
illegally.

It is illegal (legally prohibited, a crime) to enter the country
illegally. The first offense is a misdemeanor the first time and no
jury trial is needed, but is a crime and the criminal is supposed to be
deported. The feds ignore that crime. The second offense is a felony,
and the criminal can go to jail.

The federal government is ignoring most all crimes related to illegal
entry, and they are ignoring it hoping to garner votes to keep their
sorry asses in power, the same reason the ignore voter fraud. Obummer
is not alone, although his audacity is no less than spectacular.

The consequences are all civil, not criminal. For example,
an illegal alien can be deported, but without more cannot be sentenced
to a prison term.

Yes, some crimes are civil, some are criminal, but are crimes by definition.

crime
noun
1.
an action or an instance of negligence that is deemed injurious to the
public welfare or morals or to the interests of the state and that is
legally prohibited.

--
Jack
A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Han August 16th 12 03:56 PM

[...]

Opinions versus facts. What I say are my opinions. I think I was paid
what I was worth at most if not all points in my career. I know that
others in similar positions and with similar capabilities were paid less
and others more, but that is besides the point. My point is that many
people in lower positions, tomato pickers, clerks, whatever, are paid
insufficient wages, and yes paying them more would make everything more
expensive. You may or may not agree, but my opinion is that more income
equality would benefit our society.

--
Best regards
Han

Tim Daneliuk August 16th 12 04:24 PM

More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

On 08/16/2012 09:56 AM, Han wrote:
SNIP

Opinions versus facts. What I say are my opinions. I think I was paid
what I was worth at most if not all points in my career. I know that
others in similar positions and with similar capabilities were paid less
and others more, but that is besides the point. My point is that many
people in lower positions, tomato pickers, clerks, whatever, are paid
insufficient wages, and yes paying them more would make everything more
expensive. You may or may not agree, but my opinion is that more income
equality would benefit our society.

You're missing the point. Unless force it brought to bear to MAKE you
take a job, you're always "paid what you're worth" because you are
"worth" what the market will bear. If a job is offered at a price,
it is because the buyer (employer) values the work more than the money
they pay for it. If the seller (you) accepts the job, then you value
the money more highly than you do your time to do the work. Everyone
wins. You may not be making as much as you would LIKE or THINK you should
get, but that doesn't make you "worth" it. Again, this is true as long
as no one is pointing a gun at your head.

Relevant: http://jwh.fastmail.fm/essaysfolder....ays_market.htm
Tim Daneliuk

Han August 16th 12 04:25 PM

[...]

http://www.alipac.us/f12/ala-governo...rgeting-illega
l- immigrants-257760/

[...]

True, as well as false. My son-in-law teaches high school math in
Paterson, NJ (read ghetto school). He delights in the observation he is
making a difference there. He also is shown daily the deficiencies of
the local school system (Paterson isn't exactly an example of how to
educate kids), the indifference of parents, as well as the (lack of)
culture among the kids. So, yes, if you are gung-ho to get educated AND
get a committed mentor, you can get educated anywhere in the US. But it
is really tough in some environments.

especially when the economy turns sour. I think that covering the
difference between previous high wages and the lower wages in current
opportunities has been considered in some places.

That's absurd. Why the hell would I work at a high-stress job if the
government (you) is going to pay me to loaf?

I wasn't loafing, and the high-stress job I had, I eventually ditched.
Before that, though, I saw the high-stress job as a challenge, plus I was
paid enough to live. I was able to buy my first home, and now have
little debt on that home left. On the salary I made last, it would be
really, really tough to buy this house now with just a meager deposit.

[...]

I moved to the US because upon finishing my masters in Holland I got
offered a job as a technician in a Harvard lab, with the promise from my
Dutch professor (Laurens van Deenen) that if my work was good enough
there, I would get a (Dutch) PhD. My alternative was compulsory military
service (in 1969, there was a draft in Holland). I got a J-1 visa, later
converted to a green card by reason of me being indispensable for the
lab's work. My wife got an interview with a highly regarded professor at
the Mass General Hospital for a technician's job, so we could live in
Cambridge, Mass, not the cheapest place on earth. I took the chance
because it seemed the way to start a career. I was unemployed for a 3
months (long story), but found a job in New York that I stayed with for
34 years. So yes, I did "fail" at some point, but was lucky/capable
enough to get going again. So, one thing led to another, and as many, but
not all in similar positions, I stayed in the US, not too far from where
my grandchildren live. My son-in-law and daughter-in-law think we might
the right choice, did and do the right things. Now I got pertussis and
have to overcome that cough ...

--
Best regards
Han

Han August 16th 12 04:26 PM

More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Jesus, Han. You really -are- a liberal. sigh OK, how long did
farmers (and others who employ illegals) have to comply with laws
which were already on the books? How long did they have between the
time the bill was introduced and passed? The time frame is likely
_years, not just months. Why hadn't they rehired _legal_ replacements
during those many months and years, hmm?

This was sprung on them fairly fast. Perhaps they had hoped that the law
would be overturned and gambled wrong.

--
Best regards
Han

Han August 16th 12 04:32 PM

More On The Gibson Guitar Fine For Wood Use

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

If people hadn't been living so _far_ above their means in the first
place, the reduction wouldn't hurt nearly as bad and wouldn't cause
many of them to lose their homes, etc.

Yes, and yes. They believed what were essentially slick second hand car
salesmen, both with their extravagant homes and mortgages. The
homeowners and construction workers got punished, but some other equally
guilty ones didn't. Did you read that the higher-ups in MFGlobal were
punished? Not criminally, they weren't. And they were in my opinion
criminally negligent as were many other banking execs, but as my buddy
the ex-New York banking inspector says, there was plausable denial (my
words). No provable offenses. As the Germans used to say "Das habe ich
nicht gewusst".

I also believe that many, if not most, middle management jobs
shouldn't have ever existed, so don't get me started there. ;)

Aw, shucks, really? grin.

It'll hurt, with millions losing their jobs, but we need to shear off
all the unnecessary governmental divisions NOW. Duplication is really
rampant when as many as 30 agencies cover the same tasks. I don't
even want to hear about deficits when they can be immediately reversed
by cutting the minions who spend them. I want to see the US -debt-
start going down and down in my lifetime, please!

I'm with you there. But that is a job for Congress. And you know what?
I'm afraid it'll never happen.

--
Best regards
Han