Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Re-purpose white oak flooring

Tore out the 16x11 room full of white oak I laid not paying attention
that was supposed to be red oak. Now looking to find a use for what's
left. The boards have been de-nailed by sawing into shorter lengths (12
to 48 inches) and will probably finish out after removing the tongue and
groove and planing the back at about 1/2 to 5/8" thick and a hair under
2" wide.

Any ideas?
--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Barker wrote:
Tore out the 16x11 room full of white oak I laid not paying attention
that was supposed to be red oak. Now looking to find a use for what's
left. The boards have been de-nailed by sawing into shorter lengths (12
to 48 inches) and will probably finish out after removing the tongue and
groove and planing the back at about 1/2 to 5/8" thick and a hair under
2" wide.

Any ideas?

A good wood-burning heater in the shop comes to mind. It won't notice
the T&G.

--
G.W. Ross

If all goes well, you've overlooked
something!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/10/2012 10:04 AM, G. Ross wrote:
Steve Barker wrote:
Tore out the 16x11 room full of white oak I laid not paying attention
that was supposed to be red oak. Now looking to find a use for what's
left. The boards have been de-nailed by sawing into shorter lengths (12
to 48 inches) and will probably finish out after removing the tongue and
groove and planing the back at about 1/2 to 5/8" thick and a hair under
2" wide.

Any ideas?

A good wood-burning heater in the shop comes to mind. It won't notice
the T&G.

+1 thanks for the reply! I do heat with wood in the house. Don't have
an official wood shop yet.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:56:36 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

Tore out the 16x11 room full of white oak I laid not paying attention
that was supposed to be red oak. Now looking to find a use for what's
left. The boards have been de-nailed by sawing into shorter lengths (12
to 48 inches) and will probably finish out after removing the tongue and
groove and planing the back at about 1/2 to 5/8" thick and a hair under
2" wide.

Any ideas?

You could make lumber for HO scale railroad cars, Steve.

Or sub-miniature viking longboats?

--
We are always the same age inside.
-- Gertrude Stein
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Barker wrote in
:

Tore out the 16x11 room full of white oak I laid not paying attention
that was supposed to be red oak. Now looking to find a use for what's
left. The boards have been de-nailed by sawing into shorter lengths
(12 to 48 inches) and will probably finish out after removing the
tongue and groove and planing the back at about 1/2 to 5/8" thick and
a hair under 2" wide.

Any ideas?

I'd probably glue the pieces together to make panels for whatever
project needed them. Actually, I've got a use for them now, as I'm
building a work table that sits on drawers.

T&G could be very nice for a desk base, as thicker material on the
outside would give the flooring room to expand and contract along its
width while keeping everything still locked in place. I had one project
where I used individual vertical panels, and while it looks nice enough
the panels can move independantly.

If nothing else, they'll be close to the right width to use as risers
for your railroad. It probably wouldn't hurt to use it for some of the
benchwork as well.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/10/2012 10:49 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

If nothing else, they'll be close to the right width to use as risers
for your railroad. It probably wouldn't hurt to use it for some of the
benchwork as well.

Yeah, I'd have never sawn it up until had the need...nails will come out
and aren't _necessarily_ a fatal defect.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Any ideas? -- Steve Barker remove the "not" from my address to email

Sounds like some good material for making trays. Box joint or dovetail joints with some prefinished 1/4" maple or birch ply bottoms.

White Oak color ideas.
1. Natural (sorta)
- Hand wiped wash coat of thinned clear shellac
- Hand wiped dark gel stain, remove 95% so it just remains in the grain lines to add nice contrast.
- Over finish with shellac, wiping poly or spray lacquer
- Rub out and wax with scrub pad or steel wool then buff

2. Mission Oak (sorta)
- Raise grain with warm water and lightly hand sand with 320 after dry to remove raised grain
- Dye with Transtint Mission Brown or similar color by using water mixture (not alcohol). Watch joints for dewicking for at least a half an hour and dab away extra dye as it seeps out of joints.
- seal with thinned coat of shellac (any color you like)
- Like natural, pop the grain by wiping over a dark gel stain (or oil stain even) and wipe away 95%.
- Over coat with shellac, hand wiped poly or sprayed shellac and wax out. Can use garnet or orange shellac or others to add more depth of color.

You can get a nice antiqued look by leaving some of the gel stain in the corners, etc or by using black wax and doing the same.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Barker wrote:
Tore out the 16x11 room full of white oak I laid not paying attention
that was supposed to be red oak. Now looking to find a use for what's
left. The boards have been de-nailed by sawing into shorter lengths
(12 to 48 inches) and will probably finish out after removing the
tongue and groove and planing the back at about 1/2 to 5/8" thick and
a hair under 2" wide.

Any ideas?

It is good for anything for which you want a good, solid, stabile (and
stable) hard wood. Flexible too. It is generally what I use for shop jigs.
Much better than red oak, for sure.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

(12 to 48 inches) and will probably finish out after removing the tongue and
groove and planing the back at about 1/2 to 5/8" thick and a hair under
2" wide.

Any ideas?

Small corner cabinet, eye level, maybe for the bathroom above the
counter top?

Router bit storage cabinet?

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Barker" wrote:

Tore out the 16x11 room full of white oak I laid not paying
attention that was supposed to be red oak. Now looking to find a
use for what's left.

Tool tote box, trivets.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Steve Barker" wrote:

Tore out the 16x11 room full of white oak I laid not paying
attention that was supposed to be red oak. Now looking to find a
use for what's left.

Tool tote box, trivets.

Oh hell - don't look for a use for it... stock pile it. A use will come
along.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Barker wrote:
Tore out the 16x11 room full of white oak I laid not paying attention
that was supposed to be red oak. Now looking to find a use for what's
left. The boards have been de-nailed by sawing into shorter lengths (12
to 48 inches) and will probably finish out after removing the tongue and
groove and planing the back at about 1/2 to 5/8" thick and a hair under
2" wide.

Any ideas?

A good wood-burning heater in the shop comes to mind. It won't notice
the T&G.

WHITE oak?

What a waste.
It makes good boat building material.