DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/344253-ot-real-reason-global-warming-ba-ha-ha.html)

Leon[_7_] July 28th 12 07:23 PM

OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

http://screen.yahoo.com/quot-door-to...4-70e58b73187a

-MIKE- July 28th 12 07:53 PM

On 7/28/12 1:23 PM, Leon wrote:
http://screen.yahoo.com/quot-door-to...4-70e58b73187a

There's an underground coal mine fire in New Straitsville, OH which has
been burning for 120 years.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Han July 28th 12 07:56 PM

OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

-MIKE- wrote in
:

On 7/28/12 1:23 PM, Leon wrote:
http://screen.yahoo.com/quot-door-to...-over-40-years
-30115437.html?pb_list=23dce613-c500-43f0-9134-70e58b73187a

There's an underground coal mine fire in New Straitsville, OH which
has been burning for 120 years.

And Centralia, PA ...

--
Best regards
Han

tiredofspam July 28th 12 08:00 PM

OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

On 7/28/2012 2:56 PM, Han wrote:
-MIKE- wrote in
:

On 7/28/12 1:23 PM, Leon wrote:
http://screen.yahoo.com/quot-door-to...-over-40-years
-30115437.html?pb_list=23dce613-c500-43f0-9134-70e58b73187a

There's an underground coal mine fire in New Straitsville, OH which
has been burning for 120 years.

And Centralia, PA ...

And one that has been burning in NJ I believe Jersey City for 30 or 40 years

Dave[_52_] July 28th 12 08:01 PM

OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 13:23:04 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
http://screen.yahoo.com/quot-door-to...4-70e58b73187a

The "REAL" reason for global warming is the French. European French,
Quebec French, take your pick.

HeyBub[_3_] July 28th 12 08:42 PM

Leon wrote:
http://screen.yahoo.com/quot-door-to...4-70e58b73187a

Nonsense. Global Warming is caused, or at least started, by the "AIDS Quilt"
project.

Just Wondering July 29th 12 12:21 AM

On 7/28/2012 1:01 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 13:23:04 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
http://screen.yahoo.com/quot-door-to...4-70e58b73187a

The "REAL" reason for global warming is the French. European French,
Quebec French, take your pick.

Nah, it's all the hot air and flatulence Congress puts out.

Keith nuttle July 29th 12 01:31 AM

On 7/28/2012 7:21 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 7/28/2012 1:01 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 13:23:04 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
http://screen.yahoo.com/quot-door-to...4-70e58b73187a

The "REAL" reason for global warming is the French. European French,
Quebec French, take your pick.

Nah, it's all the hot air and flatulence Congress puts out.

I think it is caused by the flatulence from the trillions of animals on
earth.

Han July 29th 12 02:04 AM

OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

http://screen.yahoo.com/quot-door-to...over-40-years-
30115437.html?pb_list=23dce613-c500-43f0-9134-70e58b73187a

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/op...-of-a-climate-
change-skeptic.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all
and for another commentary:
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/201...l-koch-funded-
study-finds-global-warming-is-real-on-the-high-end-and-essentially-all-due-
to-carbon-pollution/
--
Best regards
Han

Larry Jaques[_4_] July 29th 12 03:53 AM

On 29 Jul 2012 01:04:52 GMT, Han wrote:

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

http://screen.yahoo.com/quot-door-to...over-40-years-
30115437.html?pb_list=23dce613-c500-43f0-9134-70e58b73187a

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/op...-of-a-climate-
change-skeptic.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all
and for another commentary:
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/201...l-koch-funded-
study-finds-global-warming-is-real-on-the-high-end-and-essentially-all-due-
to-carbon-pollution/

Jeeze, is it April 1st again already?

--
It takes as much energy to wish as to plan.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Han July 29th 12 01:04 PM

OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

http://screen.yahoo.com/quot-door-to...r-over-40-year

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/201...hell-koch-fund
ed-
study-finds-global-warming-is-real-on-the-high-end-and-essentially-all-
due- to-carbon-pollution/

Jeeze, is it April 1st again already?

Sorry, Larry. This is an early birthday present for you.

The latest Koch brothers-financed study to definitively demonstrate that
global warming is a hoax has found exactly the opposite of what they
wanted:
Global warming is real, and at least 70% if not all is caused by man.
At least that is what I gather from all the buzz about this indeed
definitive study by reputable scientists (AFAIKT).

--
Best regards
Han

Leon[_7_] July 29th 12 03:28 PM

OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

On 7/29/2012 7:04 AM, Han wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote in
:

[...]

I can assure you 99.999999999999999999999999% of global warming is
caused by the sun.

Take away the sun and see how much of the heat we have now remains.

Dave in Texas July 29th 12 03:48 PM

OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

"Leon" wrote in message

On 7/29/2012 7:04 AM, Han wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote in
:

[...]

When a boy scout uses a magnifying glass to start a fire "I can assure
you 99.999999999999999999999999% of the heat needed to ignite the fuel is
caused by the sun." I doubt some dumb magnifying glass plays ANY role.

Dave in Texas

Larry Jaques[_4_] July 29th 12 04:44 PM

OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

On 29 Jul 2012 12:04:22 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On 29 Jul 2012 01:04:52 GMT, Han wrote:

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

http://screen.yahoo.com/quot-door-to...r-over-40-year
s- 30115437.html?pb_list=23dce613-c500-43f0-9134-70e58b73187a

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/op...-of-a-climate-
change-skeptic.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all
and for another commentary:
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/201...hell-koch-fund
ed-
study-finds-global-warming-is-real-on-the-high-end-and-essentially-all-
due- to-carbon-pollution/

Jeeze, is it April 1st again already?

Sorry, Larry. This is an early birthday present for you.

Gee, thanks. g It's next week, BTW. (59)

The latest Koch brothers-financed study to definitively demonstrate that
global warming is a hoax has found exactly the opposite of what they
wanted:
Global warming is real, and at least 70% if not all is caused by man.
At least that is what I gather from all the buzz about this indeed
definitive study by reputable scientists (AFAIKT).

The ThinkProgress site is suspect: liberals twisting facts once again.
The hockey stick graph is a real good clue to that without research.
Their "study" indicating that "NRA Members Agree: More Gun Regulation
Makes Sense" is such bull**** I can't stand it. I wonder how long it
took them to find that many liberals with guns who were NRA members-
in-name-only. Or did they just have liberals buy memberships to
support that "study"?

And if AGWK is at the high end of predictions, why has each IPCC study
since the first shown -less- warming than first reported? They
stairstep down. My guess is that the computer models are being
updated as they find new data to make them more, or at least
_somewhat_, reliable.

Have you read the Koch report on their server or Muller's report, or
just this completely cooked-up page at TP? (Fitting initials. I think
of toilet paper when reading their dung.) I'm off to find the real
reports now. It's no wonder that TP didn't link it, and I'm surprised
that they linked Muller's.

Han July 29th 12 05:28 PM

OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On 29 Jul 2012 12:04:22 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
m:

On 29 Jul 2012 01:04:52 GMT, Han wrote:

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

http://screen.yahoo.com/quot-door-to...for-over-40-ye
ar s- 30115437.html?pb_list=23dce613-c500-43f0-9134-70e58b73187a

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/op...on-of-a-climat
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/201...bshell-koch-fu
nd ed-
study-finds-global-warming-is-real-on-the-high-end-and-essentially-al
l- due- to-carbon-pollution/

Jeeze, is it April 1st again already?

Sorry, Larry. This is an early birthday present for you.

Gee, thanks. g It's next week, BTW. (59)

I know. Somehow my FB tells me it is soon. Btw, you're too young to be
so curmudgeonly grin.

The latest Koch brothers-financed study to definitively demonstrate
that global warming is a hoax has found exactly the opposite of what
they wanted:
Global warming is real, and at least 70% if not all is caused by man.
At least that is what I gather from all the buzz about this indeed
definitive study by reputable scientists (AFAIKT).

The ThinkProgress site is suspect: liberals twisting facts once again.
The hockey stick graph is a real good clue to that without research.
Their "study" indicating that "NRA Members Agree: More Gun Regulation
Makes Sense" is such bull**** I can't stand it. I wonder how long it
took them to find that many liberals with guns who were NRA members-
in-name-only. Or did they just have liberals buy memberships to
support that "study"?

While I am for gun control, I think that the NRA has driven too many
people to buy guns, so that I am almost feeling forced to go and get some
too. I'll let you all know when I do, so you can get body armor ...
grin

And if AGWK is at the high end of predictions, why has each IPCC study
since the first shown -less- warming than first reported? They
stairstep down. My guess is that the computer models are being
updated as they find new data to make them more, or at least
_somewhat_, reliable.

Have you read the Koch report on their server or Muller's report, or
just this completely cooked-up page at TP? (Fitting initials. I think
of toilet paper when reading their dung.) I'm off to find the real
reports now. It's no wonder that TP didn't link it, and I'm surprised
that they linked Muller's.

Let me know when you find reliable reports denying the Muller paper.

--
It takes as much energy to wish as to plan.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Sometimes it is better to plan and act on your suspicions, than to just
sit and wait.
-- Han Broekman

--
Best regards
Han

Dave in Texas July 29th 12 05:42 PM

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

[...]

To wit:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/op...c.html?_r=1&hp

Swingman July 29th 12 07:31 PM

On 7/29/2012 11:28 AM, Han wrote:

Let me know when you find reliable reports denying the Muller paper.

Available for anyone who bothers to read their FAQ?

http://berkeleyearth.org/faq/

Can look no further than their own words to understand that they
themselves imply their guess is apparently as good as any other, and to
also understand that thus far their study is taking into account land
data ONLY and is, by their own admission, far from complete:

quote

Berkeley Earth has not yet begun to analyze ocean temperatures (we hope
to do this in the next year), so the plotted data is land only. Land
warms more than oceans, so when we include the ocean we expect the total
global warming to be less.

/quote

Has Global Warming Stopped?

quote

This exercise simply shows that the decadal fluctuations are too large
to allow us to make decisive conclusions about long term trends based on
close examination of periods as short as 13 to 15 years.

/quote

Do Judith Curry and Richard Muller disagree?

quote

Below is a joint statement by Judith Curry and Richard Muller:

In recent days, statements we've made to the media and on blogs have
been characterized as contradictory. They are not.

We have both said that the global temperature record of the last 13
years shows evidence suggesting that the warming has slowed. Our new
analysis of the land-based data neither confirms nor denies this
contention. If you look at our new land temperature estimates, you can
see a flattening of the rise, or a continuation of the rise, _depending
on the statistical approach you take_

Continued global warming "skepticism" is a proper and a necessary part
of the scientific process. The Wall St. Journal Op-Ed by one of us
(Muller) seemed to take the opposite view with its title and subtitle:
"The Case Against Global-Warming Skepticism -- There were good reasons
for doubt, until now." But those words were not written by Muller. The
title and the subtitle of the submitted Op-Ed were "Cooling the Warming
Debate - Are you a global warming skeptic? If not, perhaps you should
be. Let me explain why." The title and subtitle were changed by the
editors without consulting or seeking permission from the author.
Readers are encouraged to ignore the title and read the content of the
Op-Ed.

We do not agree with each other on every feature of climate change. We
have had vigorous discussions, for example, on the proper way to analyze
hurricane records. Such disagreements are an essential part of the
scientific process.

/quote

So much for putting your faith in incomplete studies. LOL

www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Han July 29th 12 08:59 PM

OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

Swingman wrote in
:

On 7/29/2012 11:28 AM, Han wrote:

[...]

OK. At least there is still room for debate, and it isn't a closed deal

-MIKE- July 29th 12 09:25 PM

OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

On 7/29/12 2:59 PM, Han wrote:
Swingman wrote in
:

On 7/29/2012 11:28 AM, Han wrote:

[...]

The onus does not fall on us to prove that something does *not* exist.
It is always the responsibility of those who say the sky is falling to
prove it is.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Doug Winterburn July 29th 12 09:51 PM

OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

On 07/29/2012 12:59 PM, Han wrote:
Swingman wrote in
:

On 7/29/2012 11:28 AM, Han wrote:

[...]

That would be man caused global warming. Global warming in general has
been occurring for the last 10,000 years or so since the last major ice
age. Since ice ages occur cyclically and have a tendency to scrape a
lot of stuff off land, it might be nice if we were able to prevent the
next one so that cities like New York, Chicago, etc aren't erased.
Well, maybe New York ;-)

--
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure,the creed of ignorance, and the
gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery"

Mike Marlow[_2_] July 29th 12 10:15 PM

Han wrote:

While I am for gun control, I think that the NRA has driven too many
people to buy guns, so that I am almost feeling forced to go and get
some too. I'll let you all know when I do, so you can get body armor

Now that has to be the first time I've ever heard that statement. I like
you Han, but I have to say - you publish some weird ideas here. The NRA has
driven too many people to buy guns? That's certainly a novel thought. I'm
no huge fan of the NRA, though I am a gun owner. I'd have to believe you
have never even looked at what the NRA is all about.

--

-Mike-

Larry Jaques[_4_] July 29th 12 10:26 PM

On 29 Jul 2012 19:59:02 GMT, Han wrote:

OK. At least there is still room for debate, and it isn't a closed deal
that global warming is a hoax.

Han, global warming alarmism (AGWK) is indeed a hoax. It has lies,
misread data, imperfect models, and exaggerations all rolled into one
nasty True Belief religion. It's sorta like Obamunism.

I'm with you in wanting CO2 emissions considerably reduced, but I
don't believe humans need to change their way of life to do it; Only
their attitude.

Swingman July 30th 12 12:06 AM

OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

Larry Jaques

P.S: I think you'd like _Hard Green_ by Peter Huber. Let's do the
most good with the least cost now, then work on the rest.

DAGS "Bjorn Lomborg"... not a denier, but a voice of reason with regard to
policies concerning changing global climate, reviled and almost
professionally ruined by the AGW crowd in a most repulsive manner. If you
can't grasp that these alarmist' are very often blind, bigoted, and totally
without scruples, you're part of the problem.

--
www.ewoodshop.com

CW[_8_] July 30th 12 12:08 AM

OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

While I am for gun control
So am I. Sight picture, breath control and trigger squeeze. Done correctly,
these things increase control dramatically.

Han July 30th 12 01:50 AM

OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Han, global warming alarmism (AGWK) is indeed a hoax. It has lies,
misread data, imperfect models, and exaggerations all rolled into one
nasty True Belief religion. It's sorta like Obamunism.

I'm really not sure whether whether alarm is necessary. I think there is
a real heads up, that we can't go on the way we have been going. I'm
sure that some of that has to do with presentation and interpretation -
on the sides of both alarmists and denyers/deniers.

I am trying to read Ron Paul's book Liberty defined, and have gotten to
the E(ducation). So far it is to me a mixture of naive belief in the
good of the natural mechanisms of free trade and laissez faire that human
interactions will always lead to the best, although there are some tenets
of Paul's that I could agree with. I'll have to see how much further I
can get through the book. As far as Obamunism is concerned, Romneycare
in Mass was the example, and by all accounts that I have rather
successful, including the mandate and the penalties. Is the ACA a good
compromise? It is a compromise. On all sides there has been give and
take, and as usual (give Paul his due), the medical industry has
influenced through lobbying the law WAY too much. Since Congress lives
by slogans, bribery and sleight of hand, it is difficult to see how it
can be rectified. I hope it will self-adjust once in effect, but in
spite of my hope, I am a doubting Thomas as well.

I'm with you in wanting CO2 emissions considerably reduced, but I
don't believe humans need to change their way of life to do it; Only
their attitude.

That's a start. But I do believe that an attitude adjustment comes darn
close to a change in the way of life. One good thing of this recession
is that we are learning to be more frugal (overall, some more than
others, and some very, very painfully).

--
Best regards
Han

Larry Jaques[_4_] July 30th 12 02:31 AM

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 18:06:20 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Larry Jaques

P.S: I think you'd like _Hard Green_ by Peter Huber. Let's do the
most good with the least cost now, then work on the rest.

DAGS "Bjorn Lomborg"... not a denier, but a voice of reason with regard to
policies concerning changing global climate, reviled and almost
professionally ruined by the AGW crowd in a most repulsive manner. If you
can't grasp that these alarmist' are very often blind, bigoted, and totally
without scruples, you're part of the problem.

His _Skeptic_ book adorns my shelf. He's the opposite of Muller, in
that he was a greenie and became a skeptic.

HeyBub[_3_] July 30th 12 12:52 PM

OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

Han wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Han, global warming alarmism (AGWK) is indeed a hoax. It has lies,
misread data, imperfect models, and exaggerations all rolled into one
nasty True Belief religion. It's sorta like Obamunism.

I'm really not sure whether whether alarm is necessary. I think
there is a real heads up, that we can't go on the way we have been
going. I'm sure that some of that has to do with presentation and
interpretation - on the sides of both alarmists and denyers/deniers.

Why can't we go on the way we have been going? Either GW is beyond our
capacity to influence it and we have to adjust to the result or we have to
revert to a time of lesser energy use.

If the former, we build dikes around costal cities and take similar steps to
mitigate the effects. If the latter, we regress to a time when life was
painful, brutal, and short.

The WORST reaction is to act as if GW was caused by civilization but find
out later that GW is natural and beyond our ability to do anything about it.

That's a start. But I do believe that an attitude adjustment comes
darn close to a change in the way of life. One good thing of this
recession is that we are learning to be more frugal (overall, some
more than others, and some very, very painfully).

I'll play: Why is living frugally a Good Thing(tm)?

Consider the chap who harkens to your definition by buying a canoe instead
of a yacht. Dozens of yacht builders don't get the work, ship's chandlers,
able-bodied seamen, and others are likewise missing out on employment, and
so on.

Or perhaps the family who opt for a teepee instead of a mansion; again, no
home builders, suppliers of materials, no tax revenue, on-and-on.

Bottom line: If one is convinced that living off of nuts and berries is
sufficient, what happens to innovation, improvements in the human condition,
and the future of humanity?

HeyBub[_3_] July 30th 12 12:56 PM

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 18:06:20 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Larry Jaques

P.S: I think you'd like _Hard Green_ by Peter Huber. Let's do the
most good with the least cost now, then work on the rest.

DAGS "Bjorn Lomborg"... not a denier, but a voice of reason with
regard to policies concerning changing global climate, reviled and
almost professionally ruined by the AGW crowd in a most repulsive
manner. If you can't grasp that these alarmist' are very often
blind, bigoted, and totally without scruples, you're part of the
problem.

His _Skeptic_ book adorns my shelf. He's the opposite of Muller, in
that he was a greenie and became a skeptic.

Lomborg is rational. In essence, most of his work centers around priorities.

For example, the amount of money spent to prevent 3 cancer deaths a year by
eliminating some obscure chemical from refinery smokestacks would be enough
to test EVERY newborn black baby for sickle-cell anemia, thereby saving
THOUSANDS of lives per year.

Han July 30th 12 01:12 PM

OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Han wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote in
:

[...]

How about a middle way? We WILL need to build defenses like the Dutch
around some of our habitats. But we can also try to minimize the CO2
(etc, etc) we produce.

[...]

Didn't know you were a Keynesian spendthrift grin! Spend and inflate,
or spend and tax? which will it be? While I do think that just firing
everyone who could possibly be missed might also not be a good thing,
going the Spanish route of (very temporary) "prosperity" by borrowing and
spending on all kinds of luxuries is definitely a recipe for disaster.
That is playing out in Europe and Florida.

One can be frugal without being miserly, methinks. We are being frugal
by only having 1 car, a 2005 Grand (well ...) Caravan, but we went on an
Alaska vacation earlier this year ...

--
Best regards
Han

Han July 30th 12 01:21 PM

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

I like that idea of testing for hemoglobin S. I did that in a research
project in the middle '60s, I believe in 1967. it is really cheap. Now
what are you going to do when you find HbS in a baby? There still is no
good cure or treatment for sickle cell anemia ...

--
Best regards
Han

Larry Jaques[_4_] July 30th 12 02:56 PM

OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

On 30 Jul 2012 12:21:24 GMT, Han wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in
om:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 18:06:20 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Larry Jaques

P.S: I think you'd like _Hard Green_ by Peter Huber. Let's do the
most good with the least cost now, then work on the rest.

DAGS "Bjorn Lomborg"... not a denier, but a voice of reason with
regard to policies concerning changing global climate, reviled and
almost professionally ruined by the AGW crowd in a most repulsive
manner. If you can't grasp that these alarmist' are very often
blind, bigoted, and totally without scruples, you're part of the
problem.

His _Skeptic_ book adorns my shelf. He's the opposite of Muller, in
that he was a greenie and became a skeptic.

Lomborg is rational. In essence, most of his work centers around
priorities.

Ditto Huber. If I had to choose a "best book" regarding ecology and
sanity, it would have to be Huber's _Hard Green_.

For example, the amount of money spent to prevent 3 cancer deaths a
year by eliminating some obscure chemical from refinery smokestacks
would be enough to test EVERY newborn black baby for sickle-cell
anemia, thereby saving THOUSANDS of lives per year.

I like that idea of testing for hemoglobin S. I did that in a research
project in the middle '60s, I believe in 1967. it is really cheap. Now
what are you going to do when you find HbS in a baby? There still is no
good cure or treatment for sickle cell anemia ...

Some people abort when they test early and find gross genetic flaws.
I'd be ****ed forever at my parents if they'd allowed me to be born
with 3 legs, no eyes, or a lead crowbar in my back pocket.

--
When we are planning for posterity, we ought
to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

(comparing Paine to the current CONgress deep sigh)

Leon[_7_] July 30th 12 03:09 PM

On 7/30/2012 7:12 AM, Han wrote:

Didn't know you were a Keynesian spendthrift grin! Spend and inflate,
or spend and tax? which will it be? While I do think that just firing
everyone who could possibly be missed might also not be a good thing,
going the Spanish route of (very temporary) "prosperity" by borrowing and
spending on all kinds of luxuries is definitely a recipe for disaster.
That is playing out in Europe and Florida.

One can be frugal without being miserly, methinks. We are being frugal
by only having 1 car, a 2005 Grand (well ...) Caravan, but we went on an
Alaska vacation earlier this year ...

No need to be frugal if you have always lived with in your means and
planed for times like these.

My wife and I lived in our first starter home for 30 years. We
refinanced it 6 years in and paid an additional $300 per month for 6
years. The house was paid for in 1995 and as a result we have been debt
free ever since.

We always looked around us and wondered why we were still in this same
starter house 25+ years after moving in and saw people driving very
expensive cars and buying huge homes.

Well back in 2008 the answer came and as a result we were able to
finally afford/pay cash for a bigger new home.

We are still debt free.

It is a great feeling owing no one, but that only comes from only buying
what we can truly afford. I will add that we will finance short term if
the interest rate is "Zero" and if we can pay cash to begin with. We
have been very lucky to have had the wisdom and patience to wait until
we have truly earned what we choose to buy, this methodology has been
rewarding.

Larry Blanchard July 30th 12 05:21 PM

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 14:26:33 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Han, global warming alarmism (AGWK) is indeed a hoax. It has lies,
misread data, imperfect models, and exaggerations all rolled into one
nasty True Belief religion. It's sorta like Obamunism.

http://news.yahoo.com/skeptic-finds-...lobal-warming-
real-142616605.html

I'm sure you won't believe him either :-).

Swingman July 30th 12 05:37 PM

On 7/30/2012 11:21 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 14:26:33 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Han, global warming alarmism (AGWK) is indeed a hoax. It has lies,
misread data, imperfect models, and exaggerations all rolled into one
nasty True Belief religion. It's sorta like Obamunism.

http://news.yahoo.com/skeptic-finds-...lobal-warming-
real-142616605.html

I'm sure you won't believe him either :-).

Too bad you didn't bother to read the thread, or Muller's study.
Admittedly incomplete, it was thoroughly discussed a few posts back. :)

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Larry Jaques[_4_] July 30th 12 05:44 PM

OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 16:21:27 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 14:26:33 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Han, global warming alarmism (AGWK) is indeed a hoax. It has lies,
misread data, imperfect models, and exaggerations all rolled into one
nasty True Belief religion. It's sorta like Obamunism.

http://news.yahoo.com/skeptic-finds-...lobal-warming-
real-142616605.html

I'm sure you won't believe him either :-).

Geeze, Larry, we (Wreck) just had this discussion. Pay attention.

Han July 30th 12 06:47 PM

On 7/30/2012 7:12 AM, Han wrote:

[...]

I am keeping the HELOC with $75K outstanding and 2.24% interest, for the
moment. I'm ready to pay it off when I decide to. That and the revolving
charge cards that get paid off every month is what I owe. It is indeed a
good feeling to not be in hock. Now I have to get the kids in that same
situation/frame of mind. Of course, we have been very lucky with well-
paying employment, but we did spend according to income, while saving up
for this retirement thing ...

--
Best regards
Han

Han July 30th 12 06:58 PM

news:eYedneEXUukb64vNnZ2dnUVZ_rKdnZ2d@earthlink. com:

wrote:

[...]

This is out of the realm of prenatal testing. It was a research project
to see whether sickle cell hemoglobin had independently evolved in
tropical America, as it had in Africa. The theory was (and is) that HbS
in heterozygotes (1 normal gene, 1 for HbS) affords a defense against
malaria, which also occurred in the Americas. We tested indigenous
Indians in Surinam who had had little if any exposure to whites or
African blacks. None tested had HbS, indicating that HbS is an
"African" "disease". While there have been many attempts with
treatments to correct in one way or another HbS, or to prevent the
sickling of the red cells that is the hallmark of the sickle cell
disease, none that I know of have really succeeded. It is a horrible
disease when you get really afflicted.

--
Best regards
Han

Mike Marlow[_2_] July 30th 12 07:24 PM

OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

Han wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Despite all of that - which I'm not sure I understand the way that it ties
into Larry's statement... I find Larry's statment to be quite unaware of
anything besides his own thinking. I know many children who have been born
with many crippling conditions. One in particular had broken over 200 bones
before he was 5 years old (OI - whatever that stands for...). Yet - that
child is very much alive and happy for that. Larry's statements do nothing
to reflect what people who are living and breathing air feel, and probabaly
do nothing more than to reflect what he would really feel if he was in fact
born with a condition of any sort.
--

-Mike-

Han July 30th 12 08:51 PM

OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Despite all of that - which I'm not sure I understand the way that it
ties into Larry's statement... I find Larry's statment to be quite
unaware of anything besides his own thinking. I know many children
who have been born with many crippling conditions. One in particular
had broken over 200 bones before he was 5 years old (OI - whatever
that stands for...). Yet - that child is very much alive and happy
for that. Larry's statements do nothing to reflect what people who
are living and breathing air feel, and probabaly do nothing more than
to reflect what he would really feel if he was in fact born with a
condition of any sort.

OI likely stands for Osteogenesis imperfecta. Osteo- means bone-
related, genesis means formation, imperfecta means it doesn't work
properly. See
http://teacherlink.ed.usu.edu/tlreso...PaulHearne.PDF
. Paul grew up in the house next to the one we occupied for 18 years.

He was the cheeriest of people (or however you'd like to express that).
He died rather horribly, but the ADA is his legacy ... And that has done
a lot of mostly good to a lot of people.

My personal feeling is that if there is a chance you can prevent a
lifetime of suffering, for instance by in vitro fertilization and
checking whether the embryo does suffer from a genetic defect, then you
should consider that. But it is REALLY FAR from me to say anything more,
considering the luck that we have had in our lives.
--
Best regards
Han

Mike Marlow[_2_] July 30th 12 10:16 PM

Han wrote:

My personal feeling is that if there is a chance you can prevent a
lifetime of suffering, for instance by in vitro fertilization and
checking whether the embryo does suffer from a genetic defect, then
you should consider that.

The point is... what is that "lifetime of suffering" that you and Larry talk
about? Fine for you to think about that in the context of your own perfect
lives, but do your really know anyone who lives these conditions? Have you
really ever met and gotten to know anyone who is really living through this
stuff - or are you guys just "deciding" for them what should be, based on
what you think, but do not know? I think both you and Larry have a lot to
learn...

--

-Mike-