Posted to rec.woodworking

Default really OT.

Have any of you wood pro had to deal with wrongful dismissal?If so ,can you
share details that don't implicate legal action.

Sal

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/26/12 2:56 PM, sal wrote:
Have any of you wood pro had to deal with wrongful dismissal?If so ,can you
share details that don't implicate legal action.

Sal

Check with your state's employment bureau or equivalent and ask them
about the law.
TN is a fire-at-will state, meaning you can be fired for any reason at
all, as long as it's not because of race, religion, disability, etc.
Meaning you can be fired because the boss just doesn't like your
attitude... OR because he's a racist a-hole... he just has to say it was
for a different reason. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 7/26/12 2:56 PM, sal wrote:
Have any of you wood pro had to deal with wrongful dismissal?If so
,can you share details that don't implicate legal action.

Sal

Check with your state's employment bureau or equivalent and ask them
about the law.
TN is a fire-at-will state, meaning you can be fired for any reason at
all, as long as it's not because of race, religion, disability, etc.
Meaning you can be fired because the boss just doesn't like your
attitude... OR because he's a racist a-hole... he just has to say it
was for a different reason. :-)

Correct. It is very dependent upon the state you live in. Like TN, NY is a
Work-At-Will state, which means an employer is not obligated to keep you in
their employ (not withstanding a legal contract), for any reason at all.
They are free to dismiss you at their pleasure, for any reason or for no
reason at all. In a Work-At-Will state, there is almost no such things as
wrongful dismissal unless there is a violation of some protected status,
violation of union negotiations, or the like.

Other states are Right-To-Work states and the rights of the employee are
much different in those states.

You really should talk to your state employment bureau as -MIKE- suggested.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 14:56:46 -0500, sal wrote:

Have any of you wood pro had to deal with wrongful dismissal?If so ,can
you share details that don't implicate legal action.

Sal

I suppose you would like answers that won't land you in jail?
Alabama is an at will state, unless you have a written contract your
only recourse is to take your licks and get another job.

Laws vary, as MIKE said, check your state laws.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:79100$5011f1d0
:

Correct. It is very dependent upon the state you live in. Like TN, NY is a
Work-At-Will state, which means an employer is not obligated to keep you in
their employ (not withstanding a legal contract), for any reason at all.
They are free to dismiss you at their pleasure, for any reason or for no
reason at all. In a Work-At-Will state, there is almost no such things as
wrongful dismissal unless there is a violation of some protected status,
violation of union negotiations, or the like.

Other states are Right-To-Work states and the rights of the employee are
much different in those states.

"Right-to-Work" means something rather different than you think.

We just went through that here in Indiana; it was a pretty contentious issue here. "Right-to-
Work" means that state law prohibits making employment contingent on membership in a
labor union.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 01:44:19 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

[...]

Correct. The opposite of "right-to-work" is "closed shop". I believe the
antonym of "at will" is "implied contract".
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
news:79100$5011f1d0 :

[...]

I can accept that. We hear the term thrown about here in NY because we are
not one, but I never really had the reason to dig into that myself.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/26/12 8:44 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

TN is both right to work and hire/fire at will. Policies/rules for both
are often contained under the same legislation, so using one term in the
context of expressing the other could be explained by that.

I've only had to deal with "right to work" on rare occasion. The old
guard of the local musician union would try to get you to sign up with
the union at the bigger shows in town. They'd be like, "Hey, you need
to sign this paper if you want to get paid for this gig." I'd say, "No
I don't, Tennessee is a right-to-work state," then turn around and walk
away.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote in :

TN is both right to work and hire/fire at will.

So is Indiana -- now. We've been "employment at will" for as long as I've lived here, but "right
to work" only since the middle of March.

Posted to rec.woodworking

sal wrote:
Have any of you wood pro had to deal with wrongful dismissal?If so
,can you share details that don't implicate legal action.

Sal

Man up and move on.

I once told a vice president "If you ever again curse me in front of my
subordinates, I'll hit you so hard your mother will die."

****er fired me.

I learned valuable lessons from that episode, chief of which was: There is
no "warn," there is only "do."

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote:
sal wrote:
Have any of you wood pro had to deal with wrongful dismissal?If so
,can you share details that don't implicate legal action.

Sal

Man up and move on.

I once told a vice president "If you ever again curse me in front of my
subordinates, I'll hit you so hard your mother will die."

****er fired me.

I learned valuable lessons from that episode, chief of which was: There is
no "warn," there is only "do."

Do first, warn afterwards ...

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

I once told a vice president "If you ever again curse me in front of
my subordinates, I'll hit you so hard your mother will die."

****er fired me.

Some guys just don't know how to take a threat - or a promise! That is one
of the best lines I've ever heard though!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Have any of you wood pro had to deal with wrongful dismissal?If so ,can you
share details that don't implicate legal action. Sal

Check with your state's employment bureau or equivalent and ask them
about the law.

Agree .. Call your local labor office and ask.

TN is a fire-at-will state, meaning you can be fired for any reason at
all, as long as it's not because of race, religion, disability, etc.
Meaning you can be fired because the boss just doesn't like your
attitude... OR because he's a racist a-hole... he just has to say it was
for a different reason. :-)

Same here in Ohio. I was let go while I was out recuperating from a
car accident. Rear-ended on the highway by a guy talking on his cell
while on my way to work. Boss called me two days before I was due back
to work and said don't bother, they replaced me. Two days later the
company posted my job for hire. Takes 6-12 mos training for my job not
counting the experience or education. I went elsewhere for more money.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/27/2012 7:22 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

I once told a vice president "If you ever again curse me in front of
my subordinates, I'll hit you so hard your mother will die."

****er fired me.

Some guys just don't know how to take a threat - or a promise! That is one
of the best lines I've ever heard though!

Yes it is!

But technically it's assault.
Follow up on it and it's assault and battery.
Then you not only get fired, you get a new state-approved boy-friend...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/26/2012 2:56 PM, sal wrote:
Have any of you wood pro had to deal with wrongful dismissal?If so ,can you
share details that don't implicate legal action.

Sal

To tell you the truth, if your were fired for a reasonable reason, you
screwed up, move on. If you were fired for an unreasonable reason you
really don't want to be working for that guy/company anyway. You really
don't want to force them to rehire you, life will be miserable.

Oddly when I was 20 I was fired by my store manager, that was fine with
me, he was an a-hole. The following morning I was contacted by his boss
and he convinced to come back to work for the company in another store,
I did and my boss that fired me was then fired. About 1 year later I
was managing my own company store.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/27/2012 7:35 AM, HeyBub wrote:
sal wrote:
Have any of you wood pro had to deal with wrongful dismissal?If so
,can you share details that don't implicate legal action.

Sal

Man up and move on.

I once told a vice president "If you ever again curse me in front of my
subordinates, I'll hit you so hard your mother will die."

****er fired me.

I learned valuable lessons from that episode, chief of which was: There is
no "warn," there is only "do."

It is always better to ask for forgiveness than to give a warning...
slight twist...

Besides that, you got no gratification..
He got it all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 09:59:12 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

To tell you the truth, if your were fired for a reasonable reason, you
screwed up, move on. If you were fired for an unreasonable reason you
really don't want to be working for that guy/company anyway. You really
don't want to force them to rehire you, life will be miserable.

Oddly when I was 20 I was fired by my store manager, that was fine with
me, he was an a-hole. The following morning I was contacted by his boss
and he convinced to come back to work for the company in another store,
I did and my boss that fired me was then fired. About 1 year later I
was managing my own company store.

In the 80's recession, the company I worked for was cutting back. The
GM suggested I be fired. Instead, he was fired, as well as another
guy and I was promoted. You just never know where the chips will
fall.
Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

I once told a vice president "If you ever again curse me in front of
my subordinates, I'll hit you so hard your mother will die."

****er fired me.

Some guys just don't know how to take a threat - or a promise! That
is one of the best lines I've ever heard though!

Yes it is!

But technically it's assault.
Follow up on it and it's assault and battery.
Then you not only get fired, you get a new state-approved
boy-friend...

If an assault falls on no ears but the victim, it's nothing.

Not for nothing does my mother have "SON" tattooed on her bicep.

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

I once told a vice president "If you ever again curse me in front of
my subordinates, I'll hit you so hard your mother will die."

****er fired me.

Some guys just don't know how to take a threat - or a promise! That
is one
of the best lines I've ever heard though!

Yes it is!

But technically it's assault.
Follow up on it and it's assault and battery.
Then you not only get fired, you get a new state-approved boy-friend...

That depends upon where the confrontation occurred.
In NYS, a charge of assault must have a physical injury, not just a
threat of injury.
NYS does not have a 'battery' charge by itself, or as part of another
charge.

http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article120.htm#p120.00

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 09:20:48 -0400, willshak
That depends upon where the confrontation occurred.
In NYS, a charge of assault must have a physical injury, not just a
threat of injury.
NYS does not have a 'battery' charge by itself, or as part of another
charge.

Really? What about a death threat?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 09:20:48 -0400, willshak
That depends upon where the confrontation occurred.
In NYS, a charge of assault must have a physical injury, not just a
threat of injury.
NYS does not have a 'battery' charge by itself, or as part of another
charge.

Really? What about a death threat?

My state too. The "classic" definition of "assault" is "Serious threat to
inflict serious bodily harm coupled with the present ability to carry out
said threat." That is, you can't "assault" someone over the telephone.

In Texas, the definition of "assault" includes the infliction of bodily harm
and/or the threat.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 14:47:50 -0500, "HeyBub"
My state too. The "classic" definition of "assault" is "Serious threat to
inflict serious bodily harm coupled with the present ability to carry out
said threat." That is, you can't "assault" someone over the telephone.

Hmmm. What if I call you on the phone, threaten to send you a bomb in
the mail unless you send me money and you record the conversation?
Sounds like an "assault" to me. Maybe it might be called something
else, but I'd hope it's still punishable one way or another.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 15:02:27 -0400, Dave wrote:

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 09:20:48 -0400, willshak
That depends upon where the confrontation occurred.
In NYS, a charge of assault must have a physical injury, not just a
threat of injury.
NYS does not have a 'battery' charge by itself, or as part of another
charge.

Really? What about a death threat?

I believe it would be classified as "menacing" and would be a class B
misdemeanor.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/28/2012 2:04 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 14:47:50 -0500, "HeyBub"
My state too. The "classic" definition of "assault" is "Serious threat to
inflict serious bodily harm coupled with the present ability to carry out
said threat." That is, you can't "assault" someone over the telephone.

Hmmm. What if I call you on the phone, threaten to send you a bomb in
the mail unless you send me money and you record the conversation?
Sounds like an "assault" to me. Maybe it might be called something
else, but I'd hope it's still punishable one way or another.

If you do that over the phone, it would be extortion. Assault requires
a face to face confrontation, with an imminent, credible threat of
physical force.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 17:22:39 -0600, Just Wondering
the mail unless you send me money and you record the conversation?
Sounds like an "assault" to me. Maybe it might be called something
else, but I'd hope it's still punishable one way or another.

If you do that over the phone, it would be extortion. Assault requires
a face to face confrontation, with an imminent, credible threat of
physical force.

Forget about the extortion part then. What if I don't like the way you
looked at me and I call you on the phone threatening to send a letter
bomb.

I believe that it's a chargeable offense, most anywhere in the US and
Canada.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/28/2012 6:50 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 17:22:39 -0600, Just Wondering
the mail unless you send me money and you record the conversation?
Sounds like an "assault" to me. Maybe it might be called something
else, but I'd hope it's still punishable one way or another.

If you do that over the phone, it would be extortion. Assault requires
a face to face confrontation, with an imminent, credible threat of
physical force.

Forget about the extortion part then. What if I don't like the way you
looked at me and I call you on the phone threatening to send a letter
bomb.

I believe that it's a chargeable offense, most anywhere in the US and
Canada.

I believe that would fall under "terroristic threats" and would include
a federal felony if acted (US MAIL)...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
Mike Marlow typed:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 7/26/12 2:56 PM, sal wrote:
[...]

And union if you're in one. I know IBEW covers a lot of stuff once they get
their fingers into a company's gonads. Precedence is their main tool from
what I've seen go down.