Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Forstener bit or ?

I need to drill 3/4" holes in 1/2" oak and the hole I get with a forstener is what I like, although as I'm covering the hole with a grommet, beauty isn't everything.

Trouble with the forstener is they don't last long AT ALL and I haven't seen anything like a more durable carbide tipped one etc. (?)

Using a spade bit is a pain as they're hard to get true and have to clamp etc.

Maybe I should do a hole saw but what do you think? Need something I can use to do a good quantity, reliably.

Do they make a carbide forstener? Haven't seen anything.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/9/2012 11:27 AM, mkr5000 wrote:
I need to drill 3/4" holes in 1/2" oak and the hole I get with a forstener is what I like, although as I'm covering the hole with a grommet, beauty isn't everything.

Trouble with the forstener is they don't last long AT ALL and I haven't seen anything like a more durable carbide tipped one etc. (?)

Using a spade bit is a pain as they're hard to get true and have to clamp etc.

Maybe I should do a hole saw but what do you think? Need something I can use to do a good quantity, reliably.

Do they make a carbide forstener? Haven't seen anything.

Absolutely. You can get them at most at any cabinet supply, including
WoodCraft. Freud makes them for sure.

That said, I've got HSS Forstner's that I've been using for years on oak
and they're still sharp.

The key to keeping them (HSS) sharp is running the bit at the proper rpm:

http://www.infinitytools.com/PDF/For...SpeedChart.pdf

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

mkr5000 wrote:
I need to drill 3/4" holes in 1/2" oak and the hole I get with a
forstener is what I like, although as I'm covering the hole with a
grommet, beauty isn't everything.

Trouble with the forstener is they don't last long AT ALL and I
haven't seen anything like a more durable carbide tipped one etc. (?)

Using a spade bit is a pain as they're hard to get true and have to
clamp etc.

Don't understand this statement. If you are inserting a gromet, and beauty
isn't everything, then a spade bit should easily give you the precision and
cleanliness of hole that you need. Why do you find a spade bit hard to get
true? That should not be the case.

Maybe I should do a hole saw but what do you think? Need something I
can use to do a good quantity, reliably.

You seem to be asking for something that is somewhat at odds with what you
have described as your need. Just what is it that you are hoping to
achieve?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks -- I'll head over to Woodcraft, they're near me.

As far as the spade not being true, it's really my piece of &^$% drill press.
Too much wobble.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/9/12 11:51 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
mkr5000 wrote:
I need to drill 3/4" holes in 1/2" oak and the hole I get with a
forstener is what I like, although as I'm covering the hole with a
grommet, beauty isn't everything.

Trouble with the forstener is they don't last long AT ALL and I
haven't seen anything like a more durable carbide tipped one etc. (?)

Using a spade bit is a pain as they're hard to get true and have to
clamp etc.

Don't understand this statement. If you are inserting a gromet, and beauty
isn't everything, then a spade bit should easily give you the precision and
cleanliness of hole that you need. Why do you find a spade bit hard to get
true? That should not be the case.

I've drilled some pretty amazing holes with a *new* spade bit.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/9/12 12:22 PM, mkr5000 wrote:
Thanks -- I'll head over to Woodcraft, they're near me.

As far as the spade not being true, it's really my piece of &^$% drill press.
Too much wobble.

Probably caused by run-out and it won't improve with a better bit.
There should be a set screw on the press, somewhere around the shaft, to
tighten up the run-out.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, that or you need to remove the chuck and clean the morse taper,
then reinsert the chuck.

BTW a fostener can be resharpened multiple times. Just sharpen the flat,
then the bevel, then take the burr off the flat.

I use a small diamond file, 3 or 4 swipes is all it needs of fine and
super fine to get it sharp again...

On 7/9/2012 2:31 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/9/12 12:22 PM, mkr5000 wrote:
Thanks -- I'll head over to Woodcraft, they're near me.

As far as the spade not being true, it's really my piece of &^$% drill
press.
Too much wobble.

Probably caused by run-out and it won't improve with a better bit.
There should be a set screw on the press, somewhere around the shaft, to
tighten up the run-out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"tiredofspam" nospam.nospam.com wrote in message
Yes, that or you need to remove the chuck and clean the morse taper, then reinsert
the chuck.

BTW a fostener can be resharpened multiple times. Just sharpen the flat, then the
bevel, then take the burr off the flat.

I use a small diamond file, 3 or 4 swipes is all it needs of fine and super fine to
get it sharp again...

Or get one of these files.
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...=1,43072,43089
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/9/2012 11:27 AM, mkr5000 wrote:
I need to drill 3/4" holes in 1/2" oak and the hole I get with a forstener is what I like, although as I'm covering the hole with a grommet, beauty isn't everything.

Trouble with the forstener is they don't last long AT ALL and I haven't seen anything like a more durable carbide tipped one etc. (?)

Probably because of the quality you bought. I have probably drilled
1000 plus holes with a sing 1.375 Forstner bit.

Using a spade bit is a pain as they're hard to get true and have to clamp etc.

Maybe I should do a hole saw but what do you think? Need something I can use to do a good quantity, reliably.

Do they make a carbide forstener? Haven't seen anything.

How many holes do you need to drill. A decent HSS Forster should last
you a very long time.

Yes there are carbide Forstners but IMHO they are not as sharp and
don't cut quite as cleanly as a HSS bit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 09:27:32 -0700 (PDT), mkr5000
wrote:

I need to drill 3/4" holes in 1/2" oak and the hole I get with a forstener is what I like, although as I'm covering the hole with a grommet, beauty isn't everything.

Trouble with the forstener is they don't last long AT ALL and I haven't seen anything like a more durable carbide tipped one etc. (?)

Using a spade bit is a pain as they're hard to get true and have to clamp etc.

True. Try one of the new Bosch Daredevil spade bits though.
Absolutely marvelous bit, scary-fast aggressive cut, clean hole!

Sure do. First google hit: http://tinyurl.com/7642xom

--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 09:27:32 -0700, mkr5000 wrote:

Trouble with the forstener is they don't last long AT ALL and I haven't
seen anything like a more durable carbide tipped one etc. (?)

Yes, there are carbide ones out there. but I haven't seen excessive wear
on any good quality HSS Forstners.

Or try a HSS brad point unless it's a blind hole and the tip might poke
through.

Spade bits are for carpenters :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

mkr5000 wrote:

Trouble with the forstener is they don't last long AT ALL and I
haven't
seen anything like a more durable carbide tipped one etc. (?)

---------------------------------
Don't buy garbage.

I had a set of Freud carbide forstners (1/4"-1" & 1-3/8" for Blum
hinges).

They worked just fine.

BTW, based on tests run at Cerritos college, forstner bits should be
fed as rapidly as possible to get best results.

Have fun

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

mkr5000 wrote in news:14f197d8-d19c-4a08-b9a9-81254ce58ec5
@googlegroups.com:

I need to drill 3/4" holes in 1/2" oak and the hole I get with a forstener is what I like, although

as I'm covering the hole with a grommet, beauty isn't everything.

Trouble with the forstener is they don't last long AT ALL and I haven't seen anything like a

more durable carbide tipped one etc. (?)

You mean, that's the trouble with *cheap* Forstner bits. A good Forstner bit should last for
years. Either you're using really cheap junk bits, or you're running them way too fast and/or at
too high a feed rate.