Posted to rec.woodworking

Default In search of a box joint

Bought a jig and it seems to work much better than my home-made one.
Got out my old Craftsman dado set and cut a few quarter inch ones.
Those saws were made BC (before carbide) are OK for regular dados but
the cutter blades are not flat. The outer 1" is thinner than the body
on each side. So a quarter inch dado in end grain is really a quarter
inch with a thin strip of wood left in the center.

Hope triumphed over common sense and I bought a wobble dado blade.
Sure enough it wobbles and the dados it makes look like little arched
doorways. Not good for box joints.

I sent it back and bought a stacked dado set from HF. Set up the two
cutters and ran a few test cuts. This time the cut looked like an "M"
with a shallow top. I checked the blades and the carbide inserts were
not all ground alike. Some had a flat top and some were canted. It
appeared that the teeth were ground by an opium addict with a dremel
tool and a diamond blade.

So plan D calls for a real set of dado blades I guess. Still learning
at 72 that saving money is not cheap.
--
G.W. Ross

And I thought phrenology with a
ball-peen hammer was a dying art!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 05:00:19 -0400, "G. Ross"
wrote:
So plan D calls for a real set of dado blades I guess. Still learning
at 72 that saving money is not cheap.

They're expensive but they're what you want/need.
http://www.ptreeusa.com/freud_dado_sets.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2012 5:00 AM, G. Ross wrote:
Bought a jig and it seems to work much better than my home-made one. Got
out my old Craftsman dado set and cut a few quarter inch ones. Those saws

snip...

When it comes to simple box joints in reasonably thin material (= 3/4")
I've always found that a router table beats a table saw. Setup is faster
and you don't have to fiddle with shims and spacers to achieve the proper
slot width as you do with a dado blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

John McGaw wrote:
On 7/2/2012 5:00 AM, G. Ross wrote:
Bought a jig and it seems to work much better than my home-made one. Got
out my old Craftsman dado set and cut a few quarter inch ones. Those saws

snip...

When it comes to simple box joints in reasonably thin material (= 3/4")
I've always found that a router table beats a table saw. Setup is faster
and you don't have to fiddle with shims and spacers to achieve the proper
slot width as you do with a dado blade.

Don't have room for my router table in the shop. It is in the
un-heated, un-cooled portion of the shop. 104 degrees yesterday. I
hate to use a router, anyway.

--
G.W. Ross

And I thought phrenology with a
ball-peen hammer was a dying art!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
So plan D calls for a real set of dado blades I guess. Still learning
at 72 that saving money is not cheap.

They're expensive but they're what you want/need.
http://www.ptreeusa.com/freud_dado_sets.htm

Thanks! Just what I wanted Just ordered it from Amazon ($10 cheaper).

--
G.W. Ross

And I thought phrenology with a
ball-peen hammer was a dying art!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2012 4:00 AM, G. Ross wrote:

So plan D calls for a real set of dado blades I guess. Still learning
at 72 that saving money is not cheap.

As you found out, the ATB "set" (alternate top bevel) of many
woodworking table saw blades is not conducive to finger joints, or
dadao/groove where a flat bottom is required.

What you had yet to learn was how to buy a table saw blade for a
particular job ... Dave now has you set up with the right tool for the
job.

Which jig did you get?

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2012 7:40 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/2/2012 4:00 AM, G. Ross wrote:

So plan D calls for a real set of dado blades I guess. Still learning
at 72 that saving money is not cheap.

As you found out, the ATB "set" (alternate top bevel) of many
woodworking table saw blades is not conducive to finger joints, or
dadao/groove where a flat bottom is required.

What you had yet to learn was how to buy a table saw blade for a
particular job ... Dave now has you set up with the right tool for the
job.

Which jig did you get?

IIRC he got the iBox. I am breaking mine out soon after you leave this
morning. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 7/2/2012 4:00 AM, G. Ross wrote:

So plan D calls for a real set of dado blades I guess. Still learning
at 72 that saving money is not cheap.

As you found out, the ATB "set" (alternate top bevel) of many
woodworking table saw blades is not conducive to finger joints, or
dadao/groove where a flat bottom is required.

What you had yet to learn was how to buy a table saw blade for a
particular job ... Dave now has you set up with the right tool for the
job.

Which jig did you get?

First I got the WoodSmith kit, made the jig and it works so-so. Then I
bought the aluminum one (WoodSmith) and like it a lot. The ATB on
the HF saw is more RTB (random top bevel). Some flat, some with the
bevel on one side, none that I could see had a bevel on the other side.

--
G.W. Ross

He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2012 4:00 AM, G. Ross wrote:

So plan D calls for a real set of dado blades I guess. Still learning
at 72 that saving money is not cheap.

As you found out, the ATB "set" (alternate top bevel) of many
woodworking table saw blades is not conducive to finger joints, or
dadao/groove where a flat bottom is required.

What you had yet to learn was how to buy a table saw blade for a
particular job ... Dave now has you set up with the right tool for the
job.

Which jig did you get?

IIRC he got the iBox. I am breaking mine out soon after you leave this
morning. ;~)

I feel better now, mines still in the box too. I took it out & played
with it, then decided no playing until I get moved into the new
addition and have everything put away. How have medicare so going
tomorrow to get my leg fixed and hopefully be able to stand for more
then 1/2 hr.

Mike M

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2012 4:00 AM, G. Ross wrote:

[...]

I had a job that I need to complete and deliver and vowed to not try the
iBox out until I was finished. Hoping to do that today, yesterday got
filled quickly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2012 2:00 AM, G. Ross wrote:

So plan D calls for a real set of dado blades I guess. Still learning
at 72 that saving money is not cheap.

Yep...cheap is cheap...try the good stuff, and stay out of the
bargain basement.

http://www.freudtools.com/p-316-box-...utter-set.aspx

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
On 7/2/2012 2:00 AM, G. Ross wrote:

So plan D calls for a real set of dado blades I guess. Still learning
at 72 that saving money is not cheap.

Yep...cheap is cheap...try the good stuff, and stay out of the
bargain basement.

http://www.freudtools.com/p-316-box-...utter-set.aspx

It's on the way. Delivery date 5 July.

--
G.W. Ross

He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
On 7/2/2012 2:00 AM, G. Ross wrote:

So plan D calls for a real set of dado blades I guess. Still learning
at 72 that saving money is not cheap.

Yep...cheap is cheap...try the good stuff, and stay out of the
bargain basement.

http://www.freudtools.com/p-316-box-...utter-set.aspx

Got the blades 2 days ago, finished tuning the jig and am cutting
perfect box joints for the first time in my life!

--
G.W. Ross

There is no time like the pleasant.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 04:18:32 -0400, "G. Ross"
Got the blades 2 days ago, finished tuning the jig and am cutting
perfect box joints for the first time in my life!

Try to remember that feeling of satisfaction you got the moment you
fitted those box joints together and saw they were perfect.

It doesn't come often in life, but when it does, that moment is to be
treasured.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/7/2012 12:52 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 04:18:32 -0400, "G. Ross"
Got the blades 2 days ago, finished tuning the jig and am cutting
perfect box joints for the first time in my life!

Try to remember that feeling of satisfaction you got the moment you
fitted those box joints together and saw they were perfect.

It doesn't come often in life, but when it does, that moment is to be
treasured.

Also expressed in thought as: "Dayum!,I'm good!"

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 12:59:25 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 7/7/2012 12:52 PM, Dave wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 04:18:32 -0400, "G. Ross"
Got the blades 2 days ago, finished tuning the jig and am cutting
perfect box joints for the first time in my life!

Try to remember that feeling of satisfaction you got the moment you
fitted those box joints together and saw they were perfect.

It doesn't come often in life, but when it does, that moment is to be
treasured.

Also expressed in thought as: "Dayum!,I'm good!"

Swingy, you're modest, humble, and PROUD of it, aintcha?

--
Truth loves to go naked.
--Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/7/2012 1:18 AM, G. Ross wrote:

Got the blades 2 days ago, finished tuning the jig and am cutting
perfect box joints for the first time in my life!

Yup...it's that warm and fuzzy feeling all over again.

It just can't be beat to have clean, tight fitting joint.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 04:18:32 -0400, "G. Ross"
Got the blades 2 days ago, finished tuning the jig and am cutting
perfect box joints for the first time in my life!

Found a new toy for you.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...14&cat=51&ap=1

Enjoy!
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
"G. Ross" writes:

So plan D calls for a real set of dado blades I guess.

I made some first attempts at box joints today.
Dismal failure. While operator error was primary, the jig I was
using wasn't friendly to the beginner.

I recalled this thread.

Just ordered an iBox and Freud Box Joint set.

Still learning
at 72 that saving money is not cheap.

I'm only 50, but trying to learn the same lesson.
(In my case, that a cheap router table is, well, cheap. But it is
okay for fence work.)

--
|Drew Lawson | If you're not part of the solution |
| | you're part of the precipitate. |