Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Uh-oh

More on Project Thickness Sander: So I finished gluing up the plywood
discs to the 1 inch steel shaft. Bearings arrived today. OD of the
shaft turns out to be 1.003. ID of the bearings a smidge under 1.
Needless to say Part A doesn't go into Part B.

I don't want to start over, so is there anyway I can reduce about 10
linear inches of shaft by about .004? Could a machine shop do this with
the discs attached? If so, what's a fair price for that kind of service?

Thanks

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote in :

More on Project Thickness Sander: So I finished gluing up the plywood
discs to the 1 inch steel shaft. Bearings arrived today. OD of the
shaft turns out to be 1.003. ID of the bearings a smidge under 1.
Needless to say Part A doesn't go into Part B.

I don't want to start over, so is there anyway I can reduce about 10
linear inches of shaft by about .004? Could a machine shop do this with
the discs attached? If so, what's a fair price for that kind of service?

rec.crafts.metalworking might be a better place to ask.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/28/2012 6:56 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
More on Project Thickness Sander: So I finished gluing up the plywood
discs to the 1 inch steel shaft. Bearings arrived today. OD of the shaft
turns out to be 1.003. ID of the bearings a smidge under 1. Needless to
say Part A doesn't go into Part B.

I don't want to start over, so is there anyway I can reduce about 10
linear inches of shaft by about .004? Could a machine shop do this with
the discs attached? If so, what's a fair price for that kind of service?

Thanks

Larry

Can you put the shaft in a DP chuck and use a file on the spinning shaft?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes a machine shop could reduce it no problem.

Depends on where you live. Here in NJ quite a bit. Out in the midwest in
rural areas much less.

On 6/28/2012 7:56 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

I don't want to start over, so is there anyway I can reduce about 10
linear inches of shaft by about .004? Could a machine shop do this with
the discs attached? If so, what's a fair price for that kind of service?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
Gramp's shop wrote in
:

More on Project Thickness Sander: So I finished gluing up the plywood
discs to the 1 inch steel shaft. Bearings arrived today. OD of the
shaft turns out to be 1.003. ID of the bearings a smidge under 1.
Needless to say Part A doesn't go into Part B.

I don't want to start over, so is there anyway I can reduce about 10
linear inches of shaft by about .004? Could a machine shop do this with
the discs attached? If so, what's a fair price for that kind of service?

rec.crafts.metalworking might be a better place to ask.

Come on over to the metalworking group. Ignore the politics, and plonk the
usual suspects. Under them all, there is still a wealth of information, and
you will probably find help for your problem.

Some fits actually used heat on one part, and dry ice on the other, but I am
not sure if that would work with those tolerances, and you might destroy the
part. For sure, it would be a bugger to get off if it did go on.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:

I don't want to start over, so is there anyway I can reduce about 10
linear inches of shaft by about .004? Could a machine shop do this
with
the discs attached? If so, what's a fair price for that kind of
service?

--------------------------------------
It's a job for a reamer and a lathe.

Depends what you have available for barter.

Probably cost me a 12 pack.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

I had a 3" diameter (X 2') shaft reduced by a machinist friend. He
chucked it up and sanded it to size, then polished it with finer
sandpaper. Didn't take much time, 5-10 minutes. Being a friend, he
didn't charge me, but I would think any charge would be nominal.

If you have a local tech school nearby, a student might do it for a
gratuity fee. This would be a task a student is capable of.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Update:

Futzed around with my grinder then took a whack at it with my little Ryobi sander. Made progress with both, but figured I'd be at it for hours. Machine shop couldn't help as I have already affixed the discs for the drum. I have a buddy who does a lot of small engine work and dropped it off at his house along with the bearings. An hour later, he's back at my house with the bearings installed.

All's well that ends well. Just need to wire the motor and hook things up to true the drum and I'm good to go.

Thanks for the good suggestions.

Larry

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, June 29, 2012 3:07:51 PM UTC-4, Gramp's shop wrote:
Update:
An hour later, he's back at my house with the bearings installed.

All's well that ends well. Just need to wire the motor and hook things up to true the drum and I'm good to go.

Thanks for the good suggestions.

Larry

Don't forget to drop back by RCM and let us know how well the sander works. Lloyd and I have a slight disagreement with the possible need for precision ground shafting to prevent vibration.

Glad you got your problem solved.

Dan

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramp's shop" wrote in message ...

More on Project Thickness Sander: So I finished gluing up the plywood
discs to the 1 inch steel shaft. Bearings arrived today. OD of the
shaft turns out to be 1.003. ID of the bearings a smidge under 1.
Needless to say Part A doesn't go into Part B.

I don't want to start over, so is there anyway I can reduce about 10
linear inches of shaft by about .004? Could a machine shop do this with
the discs attached?
It would be no problem for a real machine shop. Good luck finding one of
those.