Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Card scrapers, sharpen 'em bro!

Join in on some scraper sharpening discussion and see how I do it:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Forum...ead.php?tid=96

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/27/2012 12:27 PM, wrote:
Join in on some scraper sharpening discussion and see how I do it:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Forum...ead.php?tid=96

I guess that is "another" way to do it... seems tedious.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Not really tedious, but not really different than putting it in a vise
and filing, then stoning.
There is no need for the block... (it's just a crutch)
Everything else was pretty standard...

On 6/27/2012 2:11 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/27/2012 12:27 PM, wrote:
Join in on some scraper sharpening discussion and see how I do it:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Forum...ead.php?tid=96

I guess that is "another" way to do it... seems tedious.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Forrest sharpening time

Anyone send in a blade to Forrest recently?

What was the turnaround time? (I know it changes depending on workload
like everyone else) just looking for approx time.

My blade needs it, cleaning it didn't help..

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:11:23 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 6/27/2012 12:27 PM, wrote:
Join in on some scraper sharpening discussion and see how I do it:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Forum...ead.php?tid=96

I guess that is "another" way to do it... seems tedious.

Appreciate the feedback Leon. At the very least I hope you were entertained.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/27/2012 2:11 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/27/2012 12:27 PM, wrote:
Join in on some scraper sharpening discussion and see how I do it:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Forum...ead.php?tid=96

I guess that is "another" way to do it... seems tedious.

I use the Veritas set up now but used to simply clamp the scraper in
the vice, give it a couple of strokes with the file, run the burnisher
perpendicular to the scraper edge to round over the edge on both sides
and then slightly tilt the burnisher for one side then the next to
better form the edge on both sides. About half the work for twice the
results.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/27/2012 2:10 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Anyone send in a blade to Forrest recently?

What was the turnaround time? (I know it changes depending on workload
like everyone else) just looking for approx time.

My blade needs it, cleaning it didn't help..

Thanks

Last time for me, about 2 years ago it tool about 2~2.5 weeks. I keep a
spare on hand and put it on when one goes out.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Join in on some scraper sharpening discussion and see how I do it:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Forum...ead.php?tid=96

I guess that is "another" way to do it... seems tedious.

Appreciate the feedback Leon. At the very least I hope you were entertained.

The music was "fabulous". Keep up the good work Brian!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/27/2012 6:13 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
I don't know what the Veritas set is.
You don't have to use a file or burnisher?

You still have to file and burnish but you don't need a vise or clamp,
it is all hand held.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,43072,43089

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,310,41070

Oddly they show using a vise but I never use one.

On 6/27/2012 5:19 PM, Leon wrote:
he Veritas set up now but used to simply clamp the scraper in the vice,
give it a couple of strokes with the file, run the burnisher
perpendicular to the scraper edge to round over the edge on both sides
and then slightly tilt the burnisher for one side then the next to
better form the edge on both sides. About half the work for twice the
results.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Join in on some scraper sharpening discussion and see how I do it:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Forum...ead.php?tid=96

I guess that is "another" way to do it... seems tedious.

Appreciate the feedback Leon. At the very least I hope you were
entertained.

The music was "fabulous". Keep up the good work Brian!

LOL ...

Hey Brian, don't look now but your card scraper "holder" is already
~patented pending~ by FIG (Festool Investment Group), of which Leon is
the founder.

Instead of holding your card "scrapers", FIG uses it for holding a full
"hand" of Canasta cards:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...62312327223394

All kidding aside, good method on the sharpening of card scrapers as it
addresses the basics of what makes it work ... I basically use my
woodworking vise and a ******* file, followed up with a burnishing tool
to do something similar.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Oh! I am the FoFIG. I was not aware of that. ;~)

Still have the picture of the card holder with the domino kickstand? LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon, I have to see your shop :-)
You definetly have all the cool stuff.

I'll do it the old way, it only takes 1-2 minutes max.

BTW the reason that you stone sometimes over filing, or finish with a
stone, is you get a smooter cut.

When I have to do my #80, I stone it.

On 6/27/2012 5:19 PM, Leon wrote:
he Veritas set up now but used to simply clamp the scraper in the vice,
give it a couple of strokes with the file, run the burnisher
perpendicular to the scraper edge to round over the edge on both sides
and then slightly tilt the burnisher for one side then the next to
better form the edge on both sides. About half the work for twice the
results.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Ha! Now I know what to do with my holders when the scrapers are dull, CANASTA!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/27/2012 2:11 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/27/2012 12:27 PM, wrote:
Join in on some scraper sharpening discussion and see how I do it:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Forum...ead.php?tid=96

I guess that is "another" way to do it... seems tedious.

I use the Veritas set up now but used to simply clamp the scraper in
the vice, give it a couple of strokes with the file, run the burnisher
perpendicular to the scraper edge to round over the edge on both sides
and then slightly tilt the burnisher for one side then the next to
better form the edge on both sides. About half the work for twice the
results.

I have a nice card scraper file holder and I don't burnish, I hone on
a 600 grit diamond plate. It's not quite as aggressive without a burr,
but that works very well for me.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks.

Was hoping that the 3-5 day turnaround they say on the website was
accurate.

I guess I have to use some old blades while it's out.

On 6/28/2012 9:54 AM, John Shear wrote:
Did mine a few weeks ago, and I was without the blade for two weeks.

John S.

On 06/27/2012 02:10 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Anyone send in a blade to Forrest recently?

What was the turnaround time? (I know it changes depending on workload
like everyone else) just looking for approx time.

My blade needs it, cleaning it didn't help..

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry, do you make dust or whisper thin shavings?
When you make dust, you are no better than using sandpaper.
When you make shavings you are cutting the wood.

I use it mostly for hard to handle wild figure, edging, it's great for
leveling the last little bit of home made edging. And for removing glue
on panels that I have put together.

I agree sometimes not having a hook is better, but with a hook it can be
a different world. Try it skewed too.

On 6/27/2012 2:11 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/27/2012 12:27 PM, wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/27/2012 2:11 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/27/2012 12:27 PM, wrote:
Join in on some scraper sharpening discussion and see how I do it:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Forum...ead.php?tid=96

I guess that is "another" way to do it... seems tedious.

I use the Veritas set up now but used to simply clamp the scraper in
the vice, give it a couple of strokes with the file, run the burnisher
perpendicular to the scraper edge to round over the edge on both sides
and then slightly tilt the burnisher for one side then the next to
better form the edge on both sides. About half the work for twice the
results.

I have a nice card scraper file holder and I don't burnish, I hone on
a 600 grit diamond plate. It's not quite as aggressive without a burr,
but that works very well for me.

I do the same thing Larry does, usually running the scraper across the diamond
plate at a slight skew, which perhaps gives an effect similar to the hook you
get from a burnisher. Works like a champ, resulting in a scraper that peels
off shavings just as beautifully as any other (more time consuming) method I've
used. That whole "burnishing to get the perfect hook" think is overrated if
you ask me.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/28/12 3:08 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
I have a nice card scraper file holder and I don't burnish, I hone on
a 600 grit diamond plate. It's not quite as aggressive without a burr,
but that works very well for me.

I do the same thing Larry does, usually running the scraper across the
diamond plate at a slight skew, which perhaps gives an effect similar to
the hook you get from a burnisher. Works like a champ, resulting in a
scraper that peels off shavings just as beautifully as any other (more
time consuming) method I've used. That whole "burnishing to get the
perfect hook" think is overrated if you ask me.

+1

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 27, 8:41*pm, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
Leon, I have to see your shop :-)
You definetly have all the cool stuff.

I'll do it the old way, it only takes 1-2 minutes max.

BTW the reason that you stone sometimes over filing, or finish with a
stone, is you get a smooter cut.

When I have to do my #80, I stone it.

Depends what I'm using the scraper for. For cutting
back old varnish, smooth single cut file and off to work.
For finish prep, joint with a 1200 DMT stone held on its
edge and the scraper elevated on a scrap of wood.

Dead square edges are good for bragging rights,
but not really necessary. An 88 or 92 degree
arris shaves wood as easily as a dead-on 90.000.
Stanley #80-type scraper blades are sharpened
to a fairly acute bevel, but work just fine. Sharpening
to a square bevel just gives you two extra cutting
edges per sharpening.