Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Door hinge mortise:

I would like to cut mortises in a door for hinges but have no Idea how to
set up a router jig for that purpose.Could someone start me on the right
track? I have used a chisel before to do the job but the results are not
good.

Sal

Posted to rec.woodworking

sal wrote:
I would like to cut mortises in a door for hinges but have no Idea how to
set up a router jig for that purpose.Could someone start me on the right
track? I have used a chisel before to do the job but the results are not
good.

Sal

I have no experience with the job, but I have a feeling a picture is
worth a thousand words. I would suggest seeing if there is something on
YouTube.com

Good luck!
Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

sal wrote:
I would like to cut mortises in a door for hinges but have no Idea
how to set up a router jig for that purpose.Could someone start me on
the right track? I have used a chisel before to do the job but the
results are not good.

For not much money you can get a routering mortise jig, probably at the box
store.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hold on people I just realized I was lazy, googled and found a lot of info
also cheap mortise jigs so please ignore.

Sal

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 16:53:41 -0500, "sal" wrote:

I would like to cut mortises in a door for hinges but have no Idea how to
set up a router jig for that purpose.Could someone start me on the right
track? I have used a chisel before to do the job but the results are not
good.

Here you go, in januwine Chinglish!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP26gvWDXoc

And one in some kind of English:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYReLwLucLE
(His definition of "flush" differs from mine.)

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 24, 5:53*pm, "sal" wrote:
I would like to cut mortises in a door for hinges but have no Idea how to
set up a router jig for that purpose.Could someone start me on the right
track? I have used a chisel before to do the job but the results are not
good.

Sal

Sharp scribing knife and an even sharper chisel. Rough to
within 1/16" of the scribe line and pare to finish -- making the
first chop at the line mashes it and spoils the fit. That last
1/16" pops off square, clean, and dead on the mark.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 24, 5:53 pm, "sal" wrote:
I would like to cut mortises in a door for hinges but have no Idea how to
set up a router jig for that purpose.Could someone start me on the right
track? I have used a chisel before to do the job but the results are not
good.

Sal

Sharp scribing knife and an even sharper chisel. Rough to
within 1/16" of the scribe line and pare to finish -- making the
first chop at the line mashes it and spoils the fit. That last
1/16" pops off square, clean, and dead on the mark.

Router planes (like the Stanley 71 and 71-1/2) are wonderful tools.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 24, 5:53 pm, "sal" wrote:
I would like to cut mortises in a door for hinges but have no Idea how to
set up a router jig for that purpose.Could someone start me on the right
track? I have used a chisel before to do the job but the results are not
good.

Sal

Sharp scribing knife and an even sharper chisel. *Rough to
within 1/16" of the scribe line and pare to finish -- making the
first chop at the line mashes it and spoils the fit. *That last
1/16" pops off square, clean, and dead on the mark.

Router planes (like the Stanley 71 and 71-1/2) are wonderful tools.

Easier to fine tune the cutter depth than a tailed router.