Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ping - Steve Turner

http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw/118496-1.jpg

I need a nice rack for my planes. Thanks for the idea. Are your
planes also held in place with magnets?

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/22/2012 9:25 AM, Sonny wrote:
http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw/118496-1.jpg

I need a nice rack for my planes. Thanks for the idea. Are your
planes also held in place with magnets?

Sonny

Thanks. No, there are no magnets involved. The planes are held in place by
gravity, and by the lips on the wooden "retainers" that overlap the top surface
of the base of the plane at the leading and trailing edge. Not sure if a text
description is sufficient (if I were -MIKE- I'd make a video)... Let me try a
different approach: When the plane is in the rack, you can slide it upwards
about a half inch, but only a quarter inch is necessary for the bottom
(trailing) edge of the plane to clear the lip of the bottom retainer. At that
point, you can pull the bottom of the plane out towards you, then slide it back
down to clear the upper retainer and thus remove the plane from the rack.

Maybe I'll make a video. :-)

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

I understand the set up. Thanks. I couldn't see the top edge well
enough to see the upper lip/holder/slot aspect.... or maybe I didn't
know what exactly to look for, since my mindset was on magnets.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/22/12 3:31 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
Not sure if a text description is sufficient (if I were -MIKE- I'd make
a video)...
Maybe I'll make a video. :-)

Have one of your lovely daughters show you how to do it with your phone.
:-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 07:25:31 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw/118496-1.jpg

Very nice rack, DJ. It'd look even nicer in an exotic hardwood.

I need a nice rack for my planes. Thanks for the idea. Are your
planes also held in place with magnets?

Do NOT do that, Sonny. Magnetizing the sole of the plane only invites
it to pick up stray pieces of sharp metal which will scratch both your
projects and your planes.

He has a longer slot in the top retainer and both sides of the planes
are confined by the little rails. You lift and pull the bottom out
first to remove a plane. It's very nicely done.

-- Sir Winston Churchill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/22/2012 4:17 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 6/22/12 3:31 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
Not sure if a text description is sufficient (if I were -MIKE- I'd make
a video)...
Maybe I'll make a video. :-)

Have one of your lovely daughters show you how to do it with your phone. :-p

I'd probably have to fork over some bucks first. Like I don't do that every
day anyway. :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw/118496-1.jpg

Very nice rack, DJ. It'd look even nicer in an exotic hardwood.

Well I ain't DJ, but thanks. :-) I actually have quite a few more planes
where those came from, and some of them are on display on shelves in the house.
My wife actually approves of that! I might consider a nice hardwood display
rack in that case, but out in the shop I figured anything too nice was just
gonna get dusty and roughed up.

I need a nice rack for my planes. Thanks for the idea. Are your
planes also held in place with magnets?

Do NOT do that, Sonny. Magnetizing the sole of the plane only invites
it to pick up stray pieces of sharp metal which will scratch both your
projects and your planes.

He has a longer slot in the top retainer and both sides of the planes
are confined by the little rails. You lift and pull the bottom out
first to remove a plane.

Yep.

It's very nicely done.

Thanks again. It works very well. I'd be glad to take some more close-up
pictures or give more details if somebody wants to try to make one.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Do NOT do that, Sonny. Magnetizing the sole of the plane only invites
it to pick up stray pieces of sharp metal which will scratch both your
projects and your planes.

I would have probably found that out the hard way. Thanks.

He has a longer slot in the top retainer and both sides of the planes
are confined by the little rails. You lift and pull the bottom out
first to remove a plane.

Yep, I got it.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

*http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw/118496-1.jpg

Very nice rack, DJ. *It'd look even nicer in an exotic hardwood.

I need a nice rack for my planes. *Thanks for the idea. *Are your
planes also held in place with magnets?

Do NOT do that, Sonny. Magnetizing the sole of the plane only invites
it to pick up stray pieces of sharp metal which will scratch both your
projects and your planes.

VERY good advice.....I tell ya... that C-less...

Ping - Steve B Sonny Woodworking 1 June 12th 12 02:00 AM
Ping Steve B Robert Swinney Metalworking 0 February 4th 10 01:55 AM
PING Charlie turner websites Tom Nie Woodturning 2 September 16th 07 12:21 PM
PING Steve Knight J T Woodworking 21 June 26th 06 08:55 PM
Ping Steve Paterson Gunner Metalworking 3 August 2nd 05 06:41 PM