Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Thickness sander, part II

One of the local turners has a Performax sander and kindly handled my
immediate need to clean up a couple of sections of glued up bowl segments.

I earlier asked about plans for a thickness sander. It occurs to me
that one approach might be to get an old planer (plentiful on CL) and
swap out the cutter head with a home built sanding drum. Maybe just
remove the blades and wrap some sandpaper around the head.

Easy, right?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 17:32:07 -0500, Gramp's shop wrote:

I earlier asked about plans for a thickness sander. It occurs to me
that one approach might be to get an old planer (plentiful on CL) and
swap out the cutter head with a home built sanding drum. Maybe just
remove the blades and wrap some sandpaper around the head.

Wouldn't the speed be way too fast?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/15/2012 6:34 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 17:32:07 -0500, Gramp's shop wrote:

I earlier asked about plans for a thickness sander. It occurs to me
that one approach might be to get an old planer (plentiful on CL) and
swap out the cutter head with a home built sanding drum. Maybe just
remove the blades and wrap some sandpaper around the head.

Wouldn't the speed be way too fast?

Feed speed would absolutely bee too fast, about 5 times too fast on the
slow setting.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/15/2012 7:15 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/15/2012 6:34 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 17:32:07 -0500, Gramp's shop wrote:

I earlier asked about plans for a thickness sander. It occurs to me
that one approach might be to get an old planer (plentiful on CL) and
swap out the cutter head with a home built sanding drum. Maybe just
remove the blades and wrap some sandpaper around the head.

Wouldn't the speed be way too fast?

Feed speed would absolutely bee too fast, about 5 times too fast on the
slow settW

My SWAG is that the motor drives the feed belt and the planer head
simultaneously, achieving different speeds through the size of the
pulleys. Would it be possible to reduce the feed rate by changing the
diameter of the pulley (assuming all that stuff is accessible)?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gramp's shop wrote:
On 6/15/2012 7:15 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/15/2012 6:34 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 17:32:07 -0500, Gramp's shop wrote:

I earlier asked about plans for a thickness sander. It occurs to me
that one approach might be to get an old planer (plentiful on CL)
and swap out the cutter head with a home built sanding drum. Maybe
just remove the blades and wrap some sandpaper around the head.

Wouldn't the speed be way too fast?

Feed speed would absolutely bee too fast, about 5 times too fast on
the slow settW

My SWAG is that the motor drives the feed belt and the planer head
simultaneously, achieving different speeds through the size of the
pulleys. Would it be possible to reduce the feed rate by changing the
diameter of the pulley (assuming all that stuff is accessible)?

Yes... assuming...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/15/2012 7:51 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
On 6/15/2012 7:15 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/15/2012 6:34 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 17:32:07 -0500, Gramp's shop wrote:

I earlier asked about plans for a thickness sander. It occurs to me
that one approach might be to get an old planer (plentiful on CL) and
swap out the cutter head with a home built sanding drum. Maybe just
remove the blades and wrap some sandpaper around the head.

Wouldn't the speed be way too fast?

Feed speed would absolutely bee too fast, about 5 times too fast on the
slow settW

My SWAG is that the motor drives the feed belt and the planer head
simultaneously, achieving different speeds through the size of the
pulleys. Would it be possible to reduce the feed rate by changing the
diameter of the pulley (assuming all that stuff is accessible)?

Typically the cutter head is driven by belts, the feed drive is driven
by a chain. You will have to locate different sized sprockets and
different length chain, and this is assuming that all of this will still
fit inside the housing.

Add to that most all better drum sanders have a variable speed in feed.
Depending on the hardness and width of the board you will want to use
different feed rates to help guard against burning the wood.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/15/2012 7:15 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/15/2012 6:34 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 17:32:07 -0500, Gramp's shop wrote:

I earlier asked about plans for a thickness sander. It occurs to me
that one approach might be to get an old planer (plentiful on CL) and
swap out the cutter head with a home built sanding drum. Maybe just
remove the blades and wrap some sandpaper around the head.

Wouldn't the speed be way too fast?

Feed speed would absolutely bee too fast, about 5 times too fast on the
slow settW

My SWAG is that the motor drives the feed belt and the planer head
simultaneously, achieving different speeds through the size of the
pulleys. Would it be possible to reduce the feed rate by changing the
diameter of the pulley (assuming all that stuff is accessible)?

Depends on what planer you're starting with...I'd have to look up the
parts diagrams on the little lunchbox guys that are prevalent if that's
what you're thinking of; the more bigger guys have a variable (or at
least two-speed drive mechanism for the feed rollers while the
cutterhead is fixed.

Just looking at some spec's, the Performax is 5" drum at 1700 rpm; the
13" little Delta is 2" cutterhead at 10000 rpm.

10000*2/(1700*5)

ans =
2.3529

So you'd need about a 2.5:1 reduction in cutterhead rpm to get the
surface speed roughly equivalent.

A more readily adaptable mechanism would be more like the Grizz or
similar--let's see the 15" G0453 is 3" at 5000 rpm -- more like it.

5000*3/(1700*5)

ans =
1.7647

But still 2:1, roughly.

The feed speed on the Performax is 0-12 fpm, the Grizz 16/30 fpm so the
slowest is 16/12=1.333X the fastest as well.

The ideas are similar but the scales are such it would be a pretty
significant modification.

Besides the speed issues, the small diameter cutter head means a much
smaller contact area for the paper which is also worse for burning the
work and likelihood of tearing paper, etc...and if you make the head
larger to counteract that, you make the speed problem even worse, of course.

Wouldn't say it's impossible; just going to be a lot of work for a
questionable result, probably...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/15/2012 5:51 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

My SWAG is that the motor drives the feed belt and the planer head
simultaneously, achieving different speeds through the size of the
pulleys. Would it be possible to reduce the feed rate by changing the
diameter of the pulley (assuming all that stuff is accessible)?

I think a new tool might be better money spent.

Jet bought the Performax sander line and they still produce
the 16-32 model that sells for under $1,000.

I would certainly start looking around at all the online flea
markets. I see those tools coming up for sale quite often.

The usual suspects like Craigs List and Ebay would be a start.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 08:40:39 -0700, Pat Barber wrote:

Jet bought the Performax sander line and they still produce the 16-32
model that sells for under $1,000.

Seems to be at or above $1000 when I look online. But the 10-20 is still
around $700. I bought one of those and am happy with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/18/2012 10:33 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 08:40:39 -0700, Pat Barber wrote:

Jet bought the Performax sander line and they still produce the 16-32
model that sells for under $1,000.

Seems to be at or above $1000 when I look online. But the 10-20 is still
around $700. I bought one of those and am happy with it.

The last I got quoted by my local guys "was" $930, which barely under
$1,000. I forgot about the 10-20, which is a pretty good deal.

I have often wondered about the actual sandpaper cost of these machines
.. I guess it should be mentioned that a "required" DC unit is necessary.

The other problem for me is the lack of a real Jet dealer network. You
rarely even see Jet products in stores any more, but that might be
regional thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 11:31:01 -0700, Pat Barber wrote:

I have often wondered about the actual sandpaper cost of these machines
. I guess it should be mentioned that a "required" DC unit is necessary.

I've been using mine mostly as a planer for highly figured woods. So I
probably use a sandpaper roll far longer than I should. Besides, they're
a pain to change. I'm just a hobbyist so I don't use the machine
heavily, but so far I have no complaints about sandpaper cost.

Boy, is a dust collector required! There's also a lot of dust left
inside when you're done. An air hose or a vacuum with a tiny pickup is
needed to clean that dust out. There's a lot that gets trapped inside
the drum - I don't know why.

The other problem for me is the lack of a real Jet dealer network. You
rarely even see Jet products in stores any more, but that might be
regional thing.

I don't know where you're at, but Woodcraft carries Jet. That's where I
got my 10-20.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/18/2012 4:56 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

The other problem for me is the lack of a real Jet dealer network. You
rarely even see Jet products in stores any more, but that might be
regional thing.

I don't know where you're at, but Woodcraft carries Jet. That's where I
got my 10-20.

The nearest Woodcraft for me is in Raleigh, N.C., which is a
150 mile ride....

I'm at the NC-SC state line on the coast.
Posted to rec.woodworking

The nearest Woodcraft for me is in Raleigh, N.C., which is a
150 mile ride....
I'm at the NC-SC state line on the coast. Pat Barber

I used to drive my mother from New Bern, NC to Raleigh a couple times
a month. Raleigh and Cary have her kind of shopping malls. I can't
complain, I always got a good meal or two out of the drive.

Plans for thickness sander Rob Mills Woodworking 1 February 24th 06 01:38 AM
Making Thickness Sander julvr Woodworking 6 January 19th 06 04:29 AM
Thickness sander Richard Woodworking 7 August 22nd 05 07:37 PM
Thickness Sander julvr Woodworking 4 March 7th 05 01:27 PM
Delta 12" Portable Thickness Planer or 22" Shop Built Thickness Sander? tillius Woodworking 11 December 21st 04 12:27 AM