Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Broke a bandsaw blade

I broke a bandsaw blade today, a big bang (no new life in THIS universe)
and the blade was broken. Looks like stress due to the dulling blade
cutting through several logs and perhaps a twist from when the piece moved
on the sled caused the failure.

My question is this: Is there anything I should watch out for when I put
another blade on? The top wheel got stuck on the sheet metal up top, but a
gentle whack with a mallet solved that issue.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article om,
Puckdropper wrote:

I broke a bandsaw blade today, a big bang (no new life in THIS universe)
and the blade was broken. Looks like stress due to the dulling blade
cutting through several logs and perhaps a twist from when the piece moved
on the sled caused the failure.

My question is this: Is there anything I should watch out for when I put
another blade on? The top wheel got stuck on the sheet metal up top, but a
gentle whack with a mallet solved that issue.

This is probably a good excuse to do a tune-up on the saw... check for
co-planar wheels, check the blocks or bearings, tires, etc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 13 Jun 2012 00:07:46 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I broke a bandsaw blade today, a big bang (no new life in THIS universe)
and the blade was broken. Looks like stress due to the dulling blade
cutting through several logs and perhaps a twist from when the piece moved
on the sled caused the failure.

My question is this: Is there anything I should watch out for when I put
another blade on?

Yes, make sure the blades teeth point down. (DAMHIKT).
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

If this is a delta 14" take a look at the piece that hung up.
It's prone to bending at least according to Iturra... He has a new
better piece. If mine ever goes I'll get his... since my post doesn't
track straight up and down and his somehow remedies that.

On 6/12/2012 8:07 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
I broke a bandsaw blade today, a big bang (no new life in THIS universe)
and the blade was broken. Looks like stress due to the dulling blade
cutting through several logs and perhaps a twist from when the piece moved
on the sled caused the failure.

My question is this: Is there anything I should watch out for when I put
another blade on? The top wheel got stuck on the sheet metal up top, but a
gentle whack with a mallet solved that issue.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
eb.com...
I broke a bandsaw blade today, a big bang (no new life in THIS universe)
and the blade was broken. Looks like stress due to the dulling blade
cutting through several logs and perhaps a twist from when the piece moved
on the sled caused the failure.

My question is this: Is there anything I should watch out for when I put
another blade on? The top wheel got stuck on the sheet metal up top, but
gentle whack with a mallet solved that issue.

I'd check the tires for cuts....

A few weeks back I had a tire break while doing a lot of resawing of large
pine boards. I didn't even notice as the saw kept cutting just fine as the
wheel itself is crowned. It wasn't until I was cleaning up and found the
broken tire laying in the bottom of the saw that I knew the tire broke. I
thought that was really weird! It was one of the tight fitting, non-rubber
tires and it appears to have broken at the joint as it was a perfectly
straight break.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote in
:

If this is a delta 14" take a look at the piece that hung up.
It's prone to bending at least according to Iturra... He has a new
better piece. If mine ever goes I'll get his... since my post doesn't
track straight up and down and his somehow remedies that.

It's a 14" Jet. Everything seemed ok, but that was only during a quick
onceover trying to figure out how to get the top wheel free again. I'll
have to take a closer look at it.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
:

[...]

I was planning on changing the tires anyway, so maybe I'll delay putting
a blade on until the new ones get here. One of them moved on me a couple
days ago as I was putting a different blade on, so I figured it was time
to replace them.

This bandsaw has taught me a lot about bandsaws, but it sure does gobble
up the parts...

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

My credo has been "To really learn about something bust it and then fix it!"

I took the opportunity to go over my whole bandsaw and tweak it after the
tire broke. It worked much better afterwards with the tweaking, new tire and
new blade.... I had been running it nearly non-stop for a couple-three days
so the improvement was very noticeable.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article om,
Puckdropper wrote:

I broke a bandsaw blade today, a big bang (no new life in THIS universe)
and the blade was broken. Looks like stress due to the dulling blade
cutting through several logs and perhaps a twist from when the piece
moved on the sled caused the failure.

My question is this: Is there anything I should watch out for when I put
another blade on? The top wheel got stuck on the sheet metal up top, but
a gentle whack with a mallet solved that issue.

This is probably a good excuse to do a tune-up on the saw... check for
co-planar wheels, check the blocks or bearings, tires, etc.

Out of curiousity how do you check for co-planarity of the wheels? My
bandsaw is fairly new, but I'm curious how it's done.

--
Al Dunstan, Software Engineer
OptiMetrics, Inc.

make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the
deficiencies."
- C. A. R. Hoare

Posted to rec.woodworking

You take the table off and anything that restricts putting a level or
straight edge against the wheels.

Both wheels are co-planar when they touch the wheels at 4 points.

So first start with the very top and bottom of the wheels stick a
straight edge/level across them. Then move out to 2 other points on each
side of center. It should still touch at 4 points. If not adjust ..

On my delta w/riser block I had to remove the pins in the riser block.
Delta had no idea how to drill the block or the frame so the whole thing
was twisted. Do what you have to to get it in line. Once you do the
cutting performance is greatly enhanced.

On 6/13/2012 2:09 PM, A. W. Dunstan wrote:

Out of curiousity how do you check for co-planarity of the wheels? My
bandsaw is fairly new, but I'm curious how it's done.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , A. W.
Dunstan wrote:

Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article om,
Puckdropper wrote:

I broke a bandsaw blade today, a big bang (no new life in THIS universe)
and the blade was broken. Looks like stress due to the dulling blade
cutting through several logs and perhaps a twist from when the piece
moved on the sled caused the failure.

My question is this: Is there anything I should watch out for when I put
another blade on? The top wheel got stuck on the sheet metal up top, but
a gentle whack with a mallet solved that issue.

This is probably a good excuse to do a tune-up on the saw... check for
co-planar wheels, check the blocks or bearings, tires, etc.

Out of curiousity how do you check for co-planarity of the wheels? My
bandsaw is fairly new, but I'm curious how it's done.

The quick answer is "use a straight edge".

Snag a copy of Duginske's "Bandsaw Handbook"... It's a good resource.

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
eb.com:

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
:

[...]

Don't forget to inflate the tires to the proper pressure.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/14/2012 5:37 PM, noone wrote:
Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in

I was planning on changing the tires anyway, so maybe I'll delay
putting a blade on until the new ones get here. One of them moved on
me a couple days ago as I was putting a different blade on, so I
figured it was time to replace them.

This bandsaw has taught me a lot about bandsaws, but it sure does
gobble up the parts...

Puckdropper

Don't forget to inflate the tires to the proper pressure.

And rotate them every 3000 miles ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote in
:

On 6/14/2012 5:37 PM, noone wrote:
Don't forget to inflate the tires to the proper pressure.

And rotate them every 3000 miles ...

Wait, you're supposed to rotate them every 3000 miles?! I thought I was
supposed to do that soon before and during each use. No wonder they need
to be changed!

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:55:15 -0500, Swingman wrote:
Don't forget to inflate the tires to the proper pressure.

And rotate them every 3000 miles ...

And when the treads are worn down and they're bare, it's time to
replace them...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote in
:

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:55:15 -0500, Swingman wrote:
Don't forget to inflate the tires to the proper pressure.

And rotate them every 3000 miles ...

And when the treads are worn down and they're bare, it's time to
replace them...

Bandsaw tires are more like drag slicks... How can you tell with those?
(Not the bandsaw tires.)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
b.com...
Dave wrote in
:

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 17:55:15 -0500, Swingman wrote:
Don't forget to inflate the tires to the proper pressure.
And rotate them every 3000 miles ...

And when the treads are worn down and they're bare, it's time to
replace them...

Bandsaw tires are more like drag slicks... How can you tell with those?
(Not the bandsaw tires.)

In either case, when there is more of the tire on the ground than on the
wheel it's time to change them...

Bandsaw blade help Chris Woodworking 5 December 2nd 07 10:19 AM
saw blade w/ broke tooth still safe? Pogo Metalworking 10 July 27th 07 04:32 PM
bad bandsaw blade???????? Derstine Metalworking 3 January 30th 06 07:00 PM
Bandsaw blade for 6061 Al alloy? What's a good blade size to buy? Eddie Metalworking 2 July 18th 05 08:27 AM
broke my bandsaw (whimper) Edwin Pawlowski Woodworking 10 August 7th 03 12:50 AM