Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I guess I'll need a much bigger table saw...

6 inch thick, 30 foot long plywood panels!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/05/sc...=2&ref=science

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
m...
6 inch thick, 30 foot long plywood panels!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/05/sc...=2&ref=science

Oops... just saw someone else posted this a short time ago!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 11, 4:54*am, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:
6 inch thick, 30 foot long plywood panels!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/05/sc...ns-for-cross-l...

with 1-1/2" thick "veneer". :-)

Neat stuff actually. I have been discussing using it for building
housing in the North (especially in First Nation communities) with
Douglas Cardinal.

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
6 inch thick, 30 foot long plywood panels!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/05/sc...ns-for-cross-l...

with 1-1/2" thick "veneer". :-)

Neat stuff actually. I have been discussing using it for building
housing in the North (especially in First Nation communities) with
Douglas Cardinal.

Structurally, it may have its merits, but I really have to wonder if from a
practical standpoint, it will ever be widely embraced. Now you need cranes,
etc., etc., etc. Maybe not insurmountable on paper, but I just wonder if it
will be embraced in the field.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

wrote:
6 inch thick, 30 foot long plywood panels!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/05/sc...ns-for-cross-l

with 1-1/2" thick "veneer". :-)

Neat stuff actually. I have been discussing using it for building
housing in the North (especially in First Nation communities) with
Douglas Cardinal.

Structurally, it may have its merits, but I really have to wonder if
from a practical standpoint, it will ever be widely embraced. Now you
need cranes, etc., etc., etc. Maybe not insurmountable on paper, but
I just wonder if it will be embraced in the field.

See the simple retort on This Old House, where they used semi-prefab
superinsuated poured concrete. The cost of materials and extra equipment
was more than made up for by speed and simplicity of construction (I
forgot what episode). Also, ask Swingman ...

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

wrote:
6 inch thick, 30 foot long plywood panels!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/05/sc...ns-for-cross-l

with 1-1/2" thick "veneer". :-)

Neat stuff actually. I have been discussing using it for building
housing in the North (especially in First Nation communities) with
Douglas Cardinal.

Structurally, it may have its merits, but I really have to wonder if
from a practical standpoint, it will ever be widely embraced. Now
you need cranes, etc., etc., etc. Maybe not insurmountable on
paper, but I just wonder if it will be embraced in the field.

See the simple retort on This Old House, where they used semi-prefab
superinsuated poured concrete. The cost of materials and extra
equipment was more than made up for by speed and simplicity of
construction (I forgot what episode). Also, ask Swingman ...

You might be right, but neither TOH, nor Karl spoke about this technology.
There are differences. Besides that - contractors may feel the cost is
justified - from their perspective, but that is only one part of the cost
consideration. Don't tell me that you believe contractors are as concerned
for their customer's pocketbook as they are for their own...

--

-Mike-