Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drum sander

Any of you folks built a drum sander or have plans to recommend?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramp's shop" wrote:

Any of you folks built a drum sander or have plans to recommend?

------------------------------
Based on the rates charged by commercial shops, why bother?

Last time I used one it was $25 for first 15 minutes and $1/minute
after.

You can get a slot of sanding done for $30.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 8, 8:47*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Gramp's shop" wrote:
Any of you folks built a drum sander or have plans to recommend?

------------------------------
Based on the rates charged by commercial shops, why bother?

Last time I used one it was $25 for first 15 minutes and $1/minute
after.

You can get a slot of sanding done for $30.

Lew

Agreed on the cost aspect, Lew, but the convenience of having a small
drum sander in my shop is worth a few bucks, assuming I can cobble it
together for under $100. I've used a local yard and their prices are
quite reasonable, but they are 30 minutes away.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 20:35:16 -0500, Gramp's shop wrote:

Any of you folks built a drum sander or have plans to recommend?

A quick Google will turn up lots of plans. The cost appears to be $200
and up. I got curious enough to look at the plans for one at the low end
and it was manual feed with the sandpaper attached with velcro.

Considering all that, by the time the cost got to $300 or more I'd start
looking for a used one. I've got the Jet 10-20 and am happy with it.
See if you can find one used.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/8/2012 8:35 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Any of you folks built a drum sander or have plans to recommend?

http://woodgears.ca/sander/thickness.html

Scroll down for a link for plans.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/8/2012 6:35 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Any of you folks built a drum sander or have plans to recommend?

I have not built this one but I do remember seeing the plans in ShopNotes

http://www.shopnotes.com/plans/thickness-sander/

Dan
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/9/2012 6:05 PM, Dan Coby wrote:
On 6/8/2012 6:35 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Any of you folks built a drum sander or have plans to recommend?

I have not built this one but I do remember seeing the plans in ShopNotes

http://www.shopnotes.com/plans/thickness-sander/

That looks pretty interesting. Might be a fun little project, and useful too
(assuming it works). If anybody HAS built this thing I'd be interested in
hearing how it went and how well it works for you.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Wood Magazine also published plans for a drum sander. I've got the
special publication "Woodworking Tools You Can Make" that has a
reprint of the article and plans. I'll scan them if you need the
article.

There's also a set of plans on this site:

http://woodgears.ca/sander/plans/printer.html

On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 19:16:26 -0500, Steve Turner
wrote:

On 6/9/2012 6:05 PM, Dan Coby wrote:
On 6/8/2012 6:35 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Any of you folks built a drum sander or have plans to recommend?

I have not built this one but I do remember seeing the plans in ShopNotes

http://www.shopnotes.com/plans/thickness-sander/

That looks pretty interesting. Might be a fun little project, and useful too
(assuming it works). If anybody HAS built this thing I'd be interested in
hearing how it went and how well it works for you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 6/9/2012 6:05 PM, Dan Coby wrote:
On 6/8/2012 6:35 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
Any of you folks built a drum sander or have plans to recommend?

I have not built this one but I do remember seeing the plans in ShopNotes

http://www.shopnotes.com/plans/thickness-sander/

That looks pretty interesting. Might be a fun little project, and useful too
(assuming it works). If anybody HAS built this thing I'd be interested in
hearing how it went and how well it works for you.

I have a second copy of Fine Woodworking's _On Making and Modifying
Machines_ if anyone's interested. $10.98, including USA postage.

They have a really cool double 16" disk sander and several models of
thickness sanders/abrasive planers. Want to build a CNC radial arm
saw? (Radio Alarm Saw to you, Bill.)

Walking beam saw which can cut 12" beams and a 34-1/2" throat!

Lotsa cool stuff.

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramp's shop" wrote in message
news
Any of you folks built a drum sander or have plans to recommend?

I would think one could find a dead table saw top, or some type of similar,
and a motor, and pulleys and belts and stuff, and make a decent one. Last
time I needed an electric motor, I got a 2.5 hp for my cement mixer for $20
on craigslist. They don't have to be precision accurate, although anyone
paying attention to details, and having average skills should be able to
make one that is reasonably so. I'd say $100 would be a good estimate, and
that would give you a changeable gear ratio (say from a dead drill press),
and a chuck to change spindles.

Keyword: scrounge.

Steve