Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Boat wood

I am doing some cleaning up on my boat. It is an old beater, but I want it
to look nicer. I want to select some wood that will last to make a couple
of trays to sit fishing hardware, or to put in a hole for a drink holder.

The boat will be kept under a shade and a cover, and not left in the
weather. Is there a wood that I can buy without going to a specialty store,
say the oak at Home Depot? I need less than 4 board feet, and that is
counting on using 1/2" thick materials. Of course, the sealer would be
important. I have Varathane clear.

Thanks.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:
I am doing some cleaning up on my boat. It is an old beater, but I
want it to look nicer. I want to select some wood that will last to
make a couple of trays to sit fishing hardware, or to put in a hole
for a drink holder.
The boat will be kept under a shade and a cover, and not left in the
weather. Is there a wood that I can buy without going to a specialty
store, say the oak at Home Depot? I need less than 4 board feet, and
that is counting on using 1/2" thick materials. Of course, the
sealer would be important. I have Varathane clear.

Undertaking a very similar task with my son Steve, we are leaning towards
the composite decking material. Zero maintenance. Seems like it would make
a good fit in a boat. Interested to hear how your decision process plays
out.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Hondouras Mahogany or plantation teak.

Anything else and your kidding yourself.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:
I am doing some cleaning up on my boat. It is an old beater, but I
want it to look nicer. I want to select some wood that will last to
make a couple of trays to sit fishing hardware, or to put in a hole
for a drink holder.
The boat will be kept under a shade and a cover, and not left in the
weather. Is there a wood that I can buy without going to a specialty
store, say the oak at Home Depot? I need less than 4 board feet, and
that is counting on using 1/2" thick materials. Of course, the
sealer would be important. I have Varathane clear.

Keep it top coated and you can use anything you want to use. You won't find
much beyond oak, poplar or birch at HD and the oak is red, not white.

Of course, teak is always nice and weathers well if you forget to top coat
sometime. Mahogany too, including African and Philippine (meranti).

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/5/2012 2:38 PM, Steve B wrote:
I am doing some cleaning up on my boat. It is an old beater, but I want it
to look nicer. I want to select some wood that will last to make a couple
of trays to sit fishing hardware, or to put in a hole for a drink holder.

The boat will be kept under a shade and a cover, and not left in the
weather. Is there a wood that I can buy without going to a specialty store,
say the oak at Home Depot? I need less than 4 board feet, and that is
counting on using 1/2" thick materials. Of course, the sealer would be
important. I have Varathane clear.

Thanks.

Steve

I have found mahogany at Lowes. If you use Mahogany I would do a teak
oil finish rather than varnish or something similar. The oil finishes
need to be wiped on, at least once per year, but look nicer than varnish
as the age. Varnishes crack oils do not.

Posted to rec.woodworking

White oak is very rot resistant.
I think cedar , mohogany, and teak are like wise.

What about marine grade ply?

My thinking on boats is epoxy finish then spar finish over epoxy.
But then again, I have not built a boat.

On 6/5/2012 2:38 PM, Steve B wrote:
I am doing some cleaning up on my boat. It is an old beater, but I want it
to look nicer. I want to select some wood that will last to make a couple
of trays to sit fishing hardware, or to put in a hole for a drink holder.

The boat will be kept under a shade and a cover, and not left in the
weather. Is there a wood that I can buy without going to a specialty store,
say the oak at Home Depot? I need less than 4 board feet, and that is
counting on using 1/2" thick materials. Of course, the sealer would be
important. I have Varathane clear.

Thanks.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a 1950 cedar lapstrake front deck mahogany that I did with epoxy 2
coats and then spar varnish it sometimes sits uncovered for days it has
stood up very well. Epoxy needs to be covered it will not take kindly to uv.

Sal
"Steve B" wrote in message
I am doing some cleaning up on my boat. It is an old beater, but I want it
to look nicer. I want to select some wood that will last to make a couple
of trays to sit fishing hardware, or to put in a hole for a drink holder.

The boat will be kept under a shade and a cover, and not left in the
weather. Is there a wood that I can buy without going to a specialty
store, say the oak at Home Depot? I need less than 4 board feet, and that
is counting on using 1/2" thick materials. Of course, the sealer would be
important. I have Varathane clear.

Thanks.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
On 6/5/2012 2:38 PM, Steve B wrote:
I am doing some cleaning up on my boat. It is an old beater, but I want
it
to look nicer. I want to select some wood that will last to make a
couple
of trays to sit fishing hardware, or to put in a hole for a drink holder.

The boat will be kept under a shade and a cover, and not left in the
weather. Is there a wood that I can buy without going to a specialty
store,
say the oak at Home Depot? I need less than 4 board feet, and that is
counting on using 1/2" thick materials. Of course, the sealer would be
important. I have Varathane clear.

Thanks.

Steve

I have found mahogany at Lowes.

Which mahogany was it, most likely it was lauan mahogany, which has no
resemblance to real mahogany except for a brownish-red color.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 11:38:31 -0700, Steve B wrote:

I am doing some cleaning up on my boat. It is an old beater, but I want
it to look nicer. I want to select some wood that will last to make a
couple of trays to sit fishing hardware, or to put in a hole for a drink
holder.

I'd be tempted to use cedar. If you want 1/2" material look through the
stacks of fence boards to find ones with enough clear pieces. They're
about 5/8" thick in most cases, but after you plane down the cedar to
smooth it (a thickness sander is best) you'll have about 1/2".

No matter which wood you wind up using, I'd seal all sides with SealCoat
and then add U/V resistant poly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/5/2012 2:22 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I am doing some cleaning up on my boat. It is an old beater, but I
want it to look nicer. I want to select some wood that will last to
make a couple of trays to sit fishing hardware, or to put in a hole
for a drink holder.
The boat will be kept under a shade and a cover, and not left in the
weather. Is there a wood that I can buy without going to a specialty
store, say the oak at Home Depot? I need less than 4 board feet, and
that is counting on using 1/2" thick materials. Of course, the
sealer would be important. I have Varathane clear.

Undertaking a very similar task with my son Steve, we are leaning towards
the composite decking material. Zero maintenance. Seems like it would make
a good fit in a boat. Interested to hear how your decision process plays
out.

Sorry Mike, but there is no such thing as zero maintenance in the boat
world.

break

Steve, before the Varathane goes on, consider epoxy coating ala West
System?

Three coats of that - washed and sanded smooth between coats -
then the varnish for UV protection...

http://www.wessex-resins.com/westsystem/use-guides.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard wrote:

Sorry Mike, but there is no such thing as zero maintenance in the boat
world.

Boat - a hole in the water that you pour money into...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/5/2012 1:38 PM, Steve B wrote:
I am doing some cleaning up on my boat. It is an old beater, but I want it
to look nicer. I want to select some wood that will last to make a couple
of trays to sit fishing hardware, or to put in a hole for a drink holder.

The boat will be kept under a shade and a cover, and not left in the
weather. Is there a wood that I can buy without going to a specialty store,
say the oak at Home Depot? I need less than 4 board feet, and that is
counting on using 1/2" thick materials. Of course, the sealer would be
important. I have Varathane clear.

Thanks.

Steve

Heart grade redwood. IPe. Azek and other man mades. Teak. Real
mahogany. White oak (NOT red). Yellow pine. Western red cedar.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 20:20:02 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Richard wrote:

Sorry Mike, but there is no such thing as zero maintenance in the boat
world.

Boat - a hole in the water that you pour money into...

BOAT is actually an acronym: "Bring out another thousand"

RC Boat hiruma222 Electronics Repair 0 September 2nd 07 03:28 AM
RC Boat hiruma222 Electronics Repair 0 September 2nd 07 03:27 AM
Boat wood Larry and a Cat named Dub Home Repair 4 April 10th 07 05:19 PM
Need a Boat? Stoutman Woodworking 21 December 19th 06 10:22 PM
wood car/boat mel Woodworking 3 July 29th 05 03:23 PM