Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The "Other" Way to Make Bowls & Boxes

I always enjoy new(er) good ideas when I come across them
Here's another way to make bowls and boxes ... without a lathe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=_GG1R-D7W_A#!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 4, 9:19*pm, Casper wrote:
I always enjoy new(er) good ideas when I come across them
Here's another way to make bowls and boxes ... without a lathe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=_GG1R-D7W_A#!

Very nice! Beautiful stuff she makes...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Marty wrote:
On Jun 4, 9:19 pm, wrote:
I always enjoy new(er) good ideas when I come across them
Here's another way to make bowls and boxes ... without a lathe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=_GG1R-D7W_A#!

Very nice! Beautiful stuff she makes...

Yes, I found it quite interesting too! I'll remember the way she used
Forstner bits.
Posted to rec.woodworking

She makes some really nice stuff. When I first ran across her book, I
was amazed at the idea of making a bowl from a flat piece of wood.

I looked at my lathe and said, "well? what do you have to say for
yourself now??" It still hasn't responded.

I haven't tried to make one of her bowls yet, but I did get a Dewalt
scroll saw and plan on giving it a go this summer.

Hope I still remember my geometry!

I always enjoy new(er) good ideas when I come across them
Here's another way to make bowls and boxes ... without a lathe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=_GG1R-D7W_A#!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/5/2012 8:33 AM, Casper wrote:
She makes some really nice stuff. When I first ran across her book, I
was amazed at the idea of making a bowl from a flat piece of wood.

I looked at my lathe and said, "well? what do you have to say for
yourself now??" It still hasn't responded.

I haven't tried to make one of her bowls yet, but I did get a Dewalt
scroll saw and plan on giving it a go this summer.

Hope I still remember my geometry!

I always enjoy new(er) good ideas when I come across them
Here's another way to make bowls and boxes ... without a lathe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=_GG1R-D7W_A#!

She does make very pretty stuff and here is another take on "ring"
construction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n4uY9oJ-tA

This tool started out it's life at the Port-a-Nails plant in
Wilmington,NC.

I have never heard the complete story on the tool but it does some
cool craft stuff.

Posted to rec.woodworking

She does make very pretty stuff and here is another take on "ring"
construction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n4uY9oJ-tA

This tool started out it's life at the Port-a-Nails plant in
Wilmington,NC.

I have never heard the complete story on the tool but it does some
cool craft stuff. Pat Barber

Thanks for the video link. I've never seen this tool before. I've been
to several woodworking shows over the last ten years or so and have
not once seen this tool shown. I'm surprised, especially since I think
some scrollers and turners would love the idea.

It certainly would make cretion faster than cutting on the scrollsaw.
I'm going to pass this on to the members of my turners guild and
carvers guild. We don't have a local scrollers guild but we have
plenty of folks in both others that own, use and love scrolling.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/15/2012 6:37 AM, Casper wrote:
She does make very pretty stuff and here is another take on "ring"
construction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n4uY9oJ-tA

This tool started out it's life at the Port-a-Nails plant in
Wilmington,NC.

I have never heard the complete story on the tool but it does some
cool craft stuff. Pat Barber

Thanks for the video link. I've never seen this tool before. I've been
to several woodworking shows over the last ten years or so and have
not once seen this tool shown. I'm surprised, especially since I think
some scrollers and turners would love the idea.

It certainly would make cretion faster than cutting on the scrollsaw.
I'm going to pass this on to the members of my turners guild and
carvers guild. We don't have a local scrollers guild but we have
plenty of folks in both others that own, use and love scrolling.

Yep...the craft crowd would love this thing. I'm not sure why it's not
marketed more than it is, but I have seen on in person and it's for real.

Here is the web site I found:

http://www.ringmasterlathe.com/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Ya but I can cut scraps as narrow as 3/4 x 3/4 into segments all day on
my cheap $59 miter saw . The price kills it for me.

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/Jerryohio-2/LILOFFTOP
http://community.webtv.net/Jerryohio-2/TomatoPlant