Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default PING: Bill - How's the workbench coming along?

Those square holes on the ends of the deck
screws are supposed to rest parallel with the ground, aren't they? : )

Yes. Tests show up to 10% loss in holding power if oriented differently
in horizontal installations.
It has to do with magnetic equilibrium, and if not parallel, they can
actually unscrew themselves trying to equalize. Statiscally, an
equal number should try to screw themselves in tighter, but why
take the chance?
If you look carefully, some brands have some curvature approaching
the socket. This is to counteract variations in flux from the Earth's
curvature. In a vertical installation, the shank taper takes care of it.
Seems to have little effect, but the argument rages on.

I am surprised how much the legs can still be manipulated. I plan to

next put on the long stretchers at the top, and then manipulate (maybe
using some rope), until I am satisfied, and then measure and cut and
install the other strechers.

Mine was also wobbly on the dry fit, but rock solid when I tightened
everything up.

I'd be happy to post some jpgs after I finish the trim glue-up tomorrow
as long as you promise not to whine about yEnc. They would be in
the binaries group.

--J

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'd be happy to post some jpgs after I finish the trim glue-up
tomorrow as long as you promise not to whine about yEnc. They would
be in
the binaries group.

Well hell Joe - just don't encode it - problem solved.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/31/2012 10:07 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

I'd be happy to post some jpgs after I finish the trim glue-up
tomorrow as long as you promise not to whine about yEnc. They would
be in
the binaries group.

Well hell Joe - just don't encode it - problem solved.

He either does not know HOW to leave it unencoded, or he refuses. He already
had about twenty people tell him that they weren't going to bother looking at
any yEnc encoded images, but instead of bowing to the wishes of the
overwhelming majority he just acted like a stubborn jackass. A trend which
continues I see.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe wrote:

I'd be happy to post some jpgs after I finish the trim glue-up tomorrow
as long as you promise not to whine about yEnc. They would be in
the binaries group.

--J

I don't know what yEnc is, but please make a post here if you post some
pics!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe wrote:
Those square holes on the ends of the deck

screws are supposed to rest parallel with the ground, aren't they? : )

Yes. Tests show up to 10% loss in holding power if oriented differently
in horizontal installations.
It has to do with magnetic equilibrium, and if not parallel, they can
actually unscrew themselves trying to equalize. Statiscally, an
equal number should try to screw themselves in tighter, but why
take the chance?
If you look carefully, some brands have some curvature approaching
the socket. This is to counteract variations in flux from the Earth's
curvature. In a vertical installation, the shank taper takes care of it.
Seems to have little effect, but the argument rages on.

Is Joe a mechanical engineer or something like that?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 31 May 2012 23:40:33 -0400, Bill wrote:

Joe wrote:
Those square holes on the ends of the deck

screws are supposed to rest parallel with the ground, aren't they? : )

Yes. Tests show up to 10% loss in holding power if oriented differently
in horizontal installations.
It has to do with magnetic equilibrium, and if not parallel, they can
actually unscrew themselves trying to equalize. Statiscally, an
equal number should try to screw themselves in tighter, but why
take the chance?
If you look carefully, some brands have some curvature approaching
the socket. This is to counteract variations in flux from the Earth's
curvature. In a vertical installation, the shank taper takes care of it.
Seems to have little effect, but the argument rages on.

Is Joe a mechanical engineer or something like that?

Naw, he's a chef, in'e? Owner of Joe's Morgue, Bar, and Grill.
"You stab 'em, we slab 'em. You kill 'em, we grill 'em."

--
In reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings
we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to
Posted to rec.woodworking

Probably not, probably someone who just decided to DO IT
instead of talk about it.

On 5/31/2012 11:40 PM, Bill wrote:
Joe wrote:
Those square holes on the ends of the deck

screws are supposed to rest parallel with the ground, aren't they? : )

Yes. Tests show up to 10% loss in holding power if oriented differently
in horizontal installations.
It has to do with magnetic equilibrium, and if not parallel, they can
actually unscrew themselves trying to equalize. Statiscally, an
equal number should try to screw themselves in tighter, but why
take the chance?
If you look carefully, some brands have some curvature approaching
the socket. This is to counteract variations in flux from the Earth's
curvature. In a vertical installation, the shank taper takes care of it.
Seems to have little effect, but the argument rages on.

Is Joe a mechanical engineer or something like that?

PING: Bill - How's the workbench coming along? Joe Woodworking 3 June 1st 12 02:36 AM
PING: Bill - How's the workbench coming along? Joe Woodworking 0 May 31st 12 01:27 PM
Ping: Bill Steve[_43_] Woodworking 1 March 8th 10 04:19 AM
How's that pool coming, Iggy? SteveB[_10_] Metalworking 30 March 5th 09 04:09 AM