DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   The creek is drowning you guys. (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/341717-creek-drowning-you-guys.html)

tiredofspam May 30th 12 10:23 PM

The creek is drowning you guys.

Wow Woodpeckers announced a Fibonacci gauge and not one of you mentioned it.

But all the bitching about the creekkkkkkkkkkkkk .....

Larry[_7_] May 31st 12 12:16 AM

The creek is drowning you guys.

tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote in
:

Wow Woodpeckers announced a Fibonacci gauge and not one of
you mentioned it.

But all the bitching about the creekkkkkkkkkkkkk .....

I saw that but I don't have a clue how it would be used. Wanting
to figure out a use for it and can't. If I wanted to follow the
"golden ratio" rule wouldn't it be pretty easy to multiply by
1.6, mark it and cut?

I'd be interested in knowing what use you thing it would be...

Larry

Leon[_7_] May 31st 12 05:24 AM

On 5/30/2012 4:23 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Wow Woodpeckers announced a Fibonacci gauge and not one of you mentioned
it.

But all the bitching about the creekkkkkkkkkkkkk .....

It seems Woodpeckers might be trying to come up with too many single
production tools.

Leon[_7_] May 31st 12 05:25 AM

On 5/30/2012 6:16 PM, Larry wrote:
tiredofspamnospam.nospam.com wrote in
:

Wow Woodpeckers announced a Fibonacci gauge and not one of
you mentioned it.

But all the bitching about the creekkkkkkkkkkkkk .....

I saw that but I don't have a clue how it would be used. Wanting
to figure out a use for it and can't. If I wanted to follow the
"golden ratio" rule wouldn't it be pretty easy to multiply by
1.6, mark it and cut?

I'd be interested in knowing what use you thing it would be...

Larry

Like using a calculator to add 2+3. '~)

RonB[_2_] May 31st 12 01:55 PM

On May 30, 4:23*pm, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
Wow Woodpeckers announced a Fibonacci gauge and not one of you mentioned it.

But all the bitching about the creekkkkkkkkkkkkk .....

Awwww -- Don't worry about the creek. I have been shot a couple of
times for commenting on the increasing level of OT and non-labeled OT
content. But so far rec.woodworking is still halfway clean in that
respect. The "Creek" string gives the guys who are more worried about
politics, Oldsmobile, gas prices, screwed up California laws and
whatever else that post has degenerated into; than actual woodworking,
a single spot on which to focus. Just imagine if 800+ posts as silly
as those had been sprinkled across the entire group. Some groups have
done that and have become useless.

I hope it doesn't happen here. But after lurking here for 10-15 years
there does seem to be a trend.

RonB

Swingman May 31st 12 02:23 PM

On 5/31/2012 7:55 AM, RonB wrote:

I hope it doesn't happen here. But after lurking here for 10-15 years
there does seem to be a trend.

I've been here the same length of time and I notice nothing different in
that respect. There's always been the BAD's, the various Bennett Wars,
the "man in the doorway", the Joe W. Woodpecker's, ad infinitum.

Nothing has changed but some of the names ...

I do miss Apeman ... and all those naked pictures he used to email you
of his "wife"/"girlfriend"/"whatever". ;)

Remember the guy who gave everyone on the wReck who wanted one, a
website on his server?

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

tiredofspam May 31st 12 02:56 PM

The creek is drowning you guys.

Nothing, I was wondering why everything was off topic and nothing on
topic...

The only thing I saw on topic was how thing can a floor board be.
Someone released a new tool and nothing... nada...

I just thought I bring you back to bitching about tools woodworking
tools. :-)

John Grossbohlin[_2_] May 31st 12 04:15 PM

"tiredofspam" nospam.nospam.com wrote in message
Nothing, I was wondering why everything was off topic and nothing on
topic...

The only thing I saw on topic was how thing can a floor board be.
Someone released a new tool and nothing... nada...

I just thought I bring you back to bitching about tools woodworking
tools. :-)

Maybe the problem is that many of us have been here for so long we have
pretty much run out of our own woodworking questions and the web-based
discussion sites have pulled in the bulk of the "new blood" ?? The big
commercial sites, like FWW and PWW, have surely attracted people who would
never find the newsgroups.... and the many ISPs that have dropped the
newsgroups have limited the pool of new blood. We old school guys are going
the way of the dinosaurs? Do we need to evolve? ;~) How?????
Rec.Woodworking t-shirts that have instructions on setting up news
readers??? ;~)

John

RonB[_2_] June 1st 12 03:09 AM

The creek is drowning you guys.

On May 31, 10:15*am, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:
[...]

I suspect at least some of them spend more time at a keyboard that in
the shop.

RonB

RonB[_2_] June 1st 12 03:10 AM

wrote:
"tiredofspam" nospam.nospam.com wrote in message

.. .

[...]

And look what I am doing now. See ya - heading for the shop!

RonB

Bill[_37_] June 1st 12 05:13 AM

RonB wrote:

I suspect at least some of them spend more time at a keyboard that in
the shop.

RonB

Well, that's part of the point. Left to other forces, many of us might
lead less-balanced lives. The expectation, for instance, that there are
folks here waiting to see me finish my workbench is helpful!

From my point of view, whatever time I can get in the shop is a good
thing. That includes, shimming a door, finishing my drywall, priming and
painting, installing wiring and EMT and light fixtures, as well as
thinking about and doing woodworking projects (albeit small ones).

It's a fair bet I wouldn't be having anywhere near so much "fun" without
this group! Every new thing I learn to do earns me a unit of "fun".

This week I learned I can't cut a 2by4 with a CS and a speed square
nicely, unless I clamp it down. I guess I need 2 hands on the saw or the
saw wanders away, especially towards the end of the cut. I tried 3x in
a row, and the board just got shorter and shorter and shorter. If
anyone has a suggestion for this, I'd be interested (as the clamping
approach is not as fast). Maybe if I saw everyday I'll "hulk-up" a bit.

Bill

Lee Michaels[_3_] June 1st 12 06:13 AM

The creek is drowning you guys.

"Bill" wrote

This week I learned I can't cut a 2by4 with a CS and a speed square
nicely, unless I clamp it down. I guess I need 2 hands on the saw or the
saw wanders away, especially towards the end of the cut. I tried 3x in a
row, and the board just got shorter and shorter and shorter. If anyone
has a suggestion for this, I'd be interested (as the clamping approach is
not as fast). Maybe if I saw everyday I'll "hulk-up" a bit.

You obviously need a board stretcher. Just ask at the lumber yard. They
will know what you are talking about...

Swingman June 1st 12 12:29 PM

On 5/31/2012 11:13 PM, Bill wrote:

This week I learned I can't cut a 2by4 with a CS and a speed square
nicely, unless I clamp it down. I guess I need 2 hands on the saw or the
saw wanders away, especially towards the end of the cut. I tried 3x in a
row, and the board just got shorter and shorter and shorter. If anyone
has a suggestion for this, I'd be interested (as the clamping approach
is not as fast). Maybe if I saw everyday I'll "hulk-up" a bit.

A quality tool and blade ... one you can handle, and sharp, respectively.

Sounds like you're missing one or both?

Instead of the speed square try this:

http://www.dannylipford.com/video/ci...rosscut-guide/

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

John Grossbohlin[_2_] June 1st 12 01:13 PM

"Bill" wrote in message

This week I learned I can't cut a 2by4 with a CS and a speed square
nicely, unless I clamp it down. I guess I need 2 hands on the saw or the
saw wanders away, especially towards the end of the cut. I tried 3x in a
row, and the board just got shorter and shorter and shorter. If anyone
has a suggestion for this, I'd be interested (as the clamping approach is
not as fast). Maybe if I saw everyday I'll "hulk-up" a bit.

Makes me wonder which way you have the square on the board.... point facing
toward you or away. I find towards works much better than away as the
force of holding the square against the wood and pushing the saw oppose each
other. I've seen others use the speed square with the point pointing away
which puts both forces in the same direction and slippage/canting happens
more easily. Just a thought...

John

tiredofspam June 1st 12 03:10 PM

The creek is drowning you guys.

Bill, thats ridiculous.

I can cut a pretty good square using my foot to keep the 2x4 off the
ground... It's not hard.

Now get to work..

On 6/1/2012 12:13 AM, Bill wrote:
RonB wrote:

I suspect at least some of them spend more time at a keyboard that in
the shop.

RonB

Well, that's part of the point. Left to other forces, many of us might
lead less-balanced lives. The expectation, for instance, that there are
folks here waiting to see me finish my workbench is helpful!

From my point of view, whatever time I can get in the shop is a good

Bill[_37_] June 1st 12 11:20 PM

John Grossbohlin wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message

This week I learned I can't cut a 2by4 with a CS and a speed square
nicely, unless I clamp it down. I guess I need 2 hands on the saw or
the saw wanders away, especially towards the end of the cut. I tried
3x in a row, and the board just got shorter and shorter and shorter.
If anyone has a suggestion for this, I'd be interested (as the
clamping approach is not as fast). Maybe if I saw everyday I'll
"hulk-up" a bit.

Makes me wonder which way you have the square on the board.... point
facing toward you or away. I find towards works much better than away as
the force of holding the square against the wood and pushing the saw
oppose each other. I've seen others use the speed square with the point
pointing away which puts both forces in the same direction and
slippage/canting happens more easily. Just a thought...

Well, that IS an interesting thought. You may have identified the crux
of the problem. I've been using it point away, because I liked the idea
of having my fingers behind, rather than in front of, the saw. But as
you point out, there is a conflict of interest. IIRC, I needed to wrap
my fingers around other end anyway to get the blade through.

FWIW, I'm using a maybe 1970's Craftman, ~15Amp CS I picked up at an
auction for about $12. I'm using this blade (new): Avanti 7-1/4 in. x 60
Tooth Fine Finish Circular Saw Blade, which I expected should be fine
since I'm cutting soft wood.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...kuId=202847711

John

Larry W June 2nd 12 12:23 AM

The creek is drowning you guys.

In article , Bill wrote:
John Grossbohlin wrote:

...snipped...
FWIW, I'm using a maybe 1970's Craftman, ~15Amp CS I picked up at an
auction for about $12. I'm using this blade (new): Avanti 7-1/4 in. x 60
Tooth Fine Finish Circular Saw Blade, which I expected should be fine
since I'm cutting soft wood.

A 60 tooth blade is not appropriate for cutting dimensional lumber with
a hand held circular saw, especially an old an tired one. It will take
a lot less effort and you'll get better results with something like 24
teeth for framing lumber being held by hand. The 60 tooth blade is
more suited to 1x stock or plywood that is securely supported or
clamped down.

Bill[_37_] June 2nd 12 04:50 AM

The creek is drowning you guys.

Larry W wrote:
In , wrote:
...snipped...
FWIW, I'm using a maybe 1970's Craftman, ~15Amp CS I picked up at an
auction for about $12. I'm using this blade (new): Avanti 7-1/4 in. x 60
Tooth Fine Finish Circular Saw Blade, which I expected should be fine
since I'm cutting soft wood.

A 60 tooth blade is not appropriate for cutting dimensional lumber with
a hand held circular saw, especially an old an tired one. It will take
a lot less effort and you'll get better results with something like 24
teeth for framing lumber being held by hand. The 60 tooth blade is
more suited to 1x stock or plywood that is securely supported or
clamped down.

It's the first and only CS blade I have bought, so I don't have much to
compare it to. It's getting the job done. I DID FIND your remarks
informative. A 24 tooth blade leave me with a "rougher" cut, wouldn't
it? This blade is leaving me with a smooth cut (which is what I
wanted). When you say "better results", do you mean speed-wise?

BTW, I noticed that the CS is not Craftsman, it's Black & Decker (which
I inadvertantly equated via the old Sears Roebuck and Co.). Same
difference, I think.

Bill[_37_] June 2nd 12 05:06 AM

The creek is drowning you guys.

Bill wrote:
Larry W wrote:
In , wrote:
...snipped...
FWIW, I'm using a maybe 1970's Craftman, ~15Amp CS I picked up at an
auction for about $12. I'm using this blade (new): Avanti 7-1/4 in. x 60
Tooth Fine Finish Circular Saw Blade, which I expected should be fine
since I'm cutting soft wood.

A 60 tooth blade is not appropriate for cutting dimensional lumber with
a hand held circular saw, especially an old an tired one. It will take
a lot less effort and you'll get better results with something like 24
teeth for framing lumber being held by hand. The 60 tooth blade is
more suited to 1x stock or plywood that is securely supported or
clamped down.

I read into the fact that it would work for plywood that it was "plenty
of blade" for the job. Evidently, the "stability" of the plywood is an
important factor (and one I did not consider). Thanks!

Bill

CW[_8_] June 2nd 12 05:58 AM

The creek is drowning you guys.

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message
m...

"Bill" wrote in message

This week I learned I can't cut a 2by4 with a CS and a speed square
nicely, unless I clamp it down. I guess I need 2 hands on the saw or the
saw wanders away, especially towards the end of the cut. I tried 3x in a
row, and the board just got shorter and shorter and shorter. If anyone
has a suggestion for this, I'd be interested (as the clamping approach is
not as fast). Maybe if I saw everyday I'll "hulk-up" a bit.

Makes me wonder which way you have the square on the board.... point facing
toward you or away. I find towards works much better than away as the
force of holding the square against the wood and pushing the saw oppose each
other. I've seen others use the speed square with the point pointing away
which puts both forces in the same direction and slippage/canting happens
more easily. Just a thought...
It also has the advantage that you can keep an eye on your thumb. Cut off a
finger, you can adapt. Cut off a thumb and life becomes rather difficult.

Bill[_37_] June 2nd 12 09:25 AM

The creek is drowning you guys--Bill's project update

tiredofspam wrote:
Bill, thats ridiculous.

I can cut a pretty good square using my foot to keep the 2x4 off the
ground... It's not hard.

Now get to work..

Thank you for the encouragement! : )

I took a picture and updated my website tonight for anyone who is
curious whether I really ever do any work!

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Cheers,
Bill

Eric[_15_] June 2nd 12 12:47 PM

"Bill" wrote in message ...

tiredofspam wrote:
Bill, thats ridiculous.

I can cut a pretty good square using my foot to keep the 2x4 off the
ground... It's not hard.

Now get to work..

Thank you for the encouragement! : )

I took a picture and updated my website tonight for anyone who is
curious whether I really ever do any work!

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Cheers,
Bill

====
How many workbenches is that now? Without checking the reflections in
shiny objects, I see three, so far.

--
Eric

John Grossbohlin[_2_] June 2nd 12 01:40 PM

"Eric" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message ...

I took a picture and updated my website tonight for anyone who is
curious whether I really ever do any work!

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Cheers,
Bill

====
How many workbenches is that now? Without checking the reflections in
shiny objects, I see three, so far.

This discussion reminds me of a friend of mine whom I see only
occasionally.... I knew he was a member of my woodworking club years ago and
when I saw him over the years I'd ask what he'd been working on in his shop.
Several times in a row, spread over several years he responded "nothing at
the moment." Then one time he admitted that the only thing he'd ever made
was the shop itself... it's sort of become a tool museum! A couple years
ago, after his parent's passed away, he moved into his parent's home and
sold his own home. He's slowly been building a new shop... "to house your
tool collection" I asked? ;~)

John

John Grossbohlin[_2_] June 2nd 12 01:53 PM

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah... I hate it when that happens. ;~)

Swingman June 2nd 12 02:48 PM

On 6/1/2012 11:58 PM, CW wrote:

It also has the advantage that you can keep an eye on your thumb. Cut
off a finger, you can adapt. Cut off a thumb and life becomes rather
difficult.

ROTFL ... yep, the "opposing thumb" (and an elbow that bends so you can
reach your mouth) is indeed the backbone (NPI) of civilization as we
know it.

Ask any cat or dog. :)

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Swingman June 2nd 12 03:20 PM

On 6/2/2012 3:25 AM, Bill wrote:
tiredofspam wrote:
Bill, thats ridiculous.

I can cut a pretty good square using my foot to keep the 2x4 off the
ground... It's not hard.

Now get to work..

Thank you for the encouragement! : )

I took a picture and updated my website tonight for anyone who is
curious whether I really ever do any work!

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Looking good so far, Bill.

Not to be critical, but the only thing that concerns me, strictly
judging from the photos, is that the legs may be too close together for
the height of the table?

It appears that much downward pressure on a benchtop overhang larger
than the end "aprons" may have a tendency to tip the bench.

Disregard if you have assured yourself that is not the case.

And you are going to put another "stretcher/apron" assembly toward the
bottom of the legs, right?

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Leon[_7_] June 2nd 12 03:21 PM

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

Granted the "whole thumb" half your thumb, not so bad. I really only
have trouble buttoning my right long sleeve button with half a left
thumb. ;~)

Larry Jaques[_4_] June 2nd 12 04:21 PM

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 08:48:05 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 6/1/2012 11:58 PM, CW wrote:

It also has the advantage that you can keep an eye on your thumb. Cut
off a finger, you can adapt. Cut off a thumb and life becomes rather
difficult.

ROTFL ... yep, the "opposing thumb" (and an elbow that bends so you can
reach your mouth) is indeed the backbone (NPI) of civilization as we
know it.

Ask any cat or dog. :)

The cats I asked HAHed and said "You servants had better watch
yourselves. Now get back to work. I want dinner and I want it NOW!
After that, I'll let you pet me for half an hour."

Dogs come when you call. Cats have answering services.

LJ, who is not a believer in pet ownership (either way.)

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her

Larry Jaques[_4_] June 2nd 12 04:34 PM

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 04:25:27 -0400, Bill wrote:

tiredofspam wrote:
Bill, thats ridiculous.

I can cut a pretty good square using my foot to keep the 2x4 off the
ground... It's not hard.

Now get to work..

Thank you for the encouragement! : )

I took a picture and updated my website tonight for anyone who is
curious whether I really ever do any work!

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

All I can say is "With that shallow leg spacing, he'd better lag that
puppy to the wall, or the vise will drag it down onto his toesies."

Lee Michaels[_3_] June 2nd 12 09:15 PM

The creek is drowning you guys--Bill's project update

"Swingman" wrote

Not to be critical, but the only thing that concerns me, strictly judging
from the photos, is that the legs may be too close together for the height
of the table?

It appears that much downward pressure on a benchtop overhang larger than
the end "aprons" may have a tendency to tip the bench.

Disregard if you have assured yourself that is not the case.

And you are going to put another "stretcher/apron" assembly toward the
bottom of the legs, right?

I agree. The only way a bench that narrow will be stable is if you pile 800
pounds on the bottom. That is commonly done for lathes. In fact I thought
it was a lathe bench when I looked at it. Those guys must have narrow
benches to get close to their turning. So they stack sand bags on the
bottom. This creates a stable base and cuts down on vibration.

Remember the comment I made about benches need to be heavy? If you are not
going to something really heavy, it must be wide enough to give a stable
work surface. Particularly if you are going to install a vise on there. I
have a fairly narrow bench in my shop. But it is made from solid maple and
always has tools stacked on the lower shelves. So I can get away with it.
It is very heavy.

Another suggestion I would make. If you are going to put a vise on there,
particularly a solid metal one that sits on top of the bench, think about
putting some additional wood underneath the bench to mount the vise to. A
heavy vise on a bench can introduce extra stresses on the bench. If some of
those stresses are shared by some kind of underlying structure, there is
less stress on the bench top. Of course, I will confess to building every
thing super strong. I guess that comes from seeing people hurt, growing up,
who built flimsy crap. Not me. One thing I have done on small benches like
this is to fasten numerous 2 X 4's or 6's to the top. Then install and
additional layer on top of this. I have even put down a layer of 2 X stock,
then plywood, then more sold stock over that. You can't have a top that is
too strong, heavy or sturdy!

Unless you are going to bolt this to the floor or wall, or pile on lots of
sandbags, I would expand the foot print of this thing.

tiredofspam June 2nd 12 10:41 PM

The creek is drowning you guys--Bill's project update

Bill I agree with everyone else. The legs are too close together.
I also believe that your stretcher underneath needs to come out on the
side toward your work side. Since you have indicated you are using ply
for the top, your support should go close to the edge, but allow
yourself some clamp space. This will support your work better at the
edge if you wish to hammer a nail into something.

Also With that height, I would use at least 2x6 , maybe a 2x8 stretcher
between your legs (length wise) to prevent racking. You can do so along
the short side too. I would mortise it, but given your abilities, you
might try barrel bolts and bolting them. Or if you have a router
creating a pocket in the stretcher for a nut and bolting them.

Bill you sound like the generation X kids that need encouragement for
everything they do like even getting up in the morning. Wow great that
you got up... Wow it's great that you screwed four legs on...

How's that Bill? Am I getting better at encouragement?

Bill[_37_] June 2nd 12 11:14 PM

The creek is drowning you guys--Bill's project update

I took a picture and updated my website tonight for anyone who is
curious whether I really ever do any work!

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Cheers,
Bill

====
How many workbenches is that now? Without checking the reflections in
shiny objects, I see three, so far.

Yes, but none with a vise. There is a hollow door on old cabinets (I am
eager to abandon), a 3-legged kitchen table, a $7 (auction) Work-Mate
which doesn't close well but still has been very handy, and my saw
horses. The new one ought to be very handy.

Thank you for observing!

Bill

--
Eric

Bill[_37_] June 3rd 12 12:18 AM

Swingman wrote:
On 6/2/2012 3:25 AM, Bill wrote:
tiredofspam wrote:
Bill, thats ridiculous.

I can cut a pretty good square using my foot to keep the 2x4 off the
ground... It's not hard.

Now get to work..

Thank you for the encouragement! : )

I took a picture and updated my website tonight for anyone who is
curious whether I really ever do any work!

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Looking good so far, Bill.

Not to be critical, but the only thing that concerns me, strictly
judging from the photos, is that the legs may be too close together for
the height of the table?

It appears that much downward pressure on a benchtop overhang larger
than the end "aprons" may have a tendency to tip the bench.

Thank you for looking. A 26.5" long apron is supporting a 27.75" wide
top, so the benchtop overhang will only be 3/4" at the aprons. The
aprons extend 4.5" past the legs. So the legs span 17.5". My intuition
anticipates that the ratio of benchtop width to leg span = 27.75/17.5 ~
1.6, while larger than I might prefer, seems workable, especially given
the mass. The decision on top width was guided by the 9.25" width of
the SYP lumber at Menards, and other choices followed from the required
5"by5" area that my vice wants to occupy on top. Trying to maximize
support for the vise, one is led to positioning at least one leg where I
have it. 'Course, no one ways table legs have to be symetrical, but this
is my first table, and I don't want family and friends to think I
haven't seen a table before (j/k)!

The height is 40". Is there a "back of the envelope" way to estimate
it's stability? 40/17.5 ~ 2.3? (good enough?).

If is doesn't work out, I can reposition the legs outward, without any
modification all all to the long stretchers, without unreasonable
inconvenience, since I'm not planning to glue the top down. I could
make all 4 short aprons out of one 2by4. The inconvenience is dealing
with those square ("Robertson") deck screw heads which my drill is rough
on. Next time aouund I will be seeking deck screws with Torx heads!!!
If anyone else is considering a similar project they would do well to
observe that remark!

Disregard if you have assured yourself that is not the case.

And you are going to put another "stretcher/apron" assembly toward the
bottom of the legs, right?

Absolutely! Hopefully, this evening!

Bill[_37_] June 3rd 12 12:21 AM

The creek is drowning you guys--Bill's project update

Lee Michaels wrote:

"Swingman" wrote

[...]

All comments noted and appreciated! I think I'll complete version 1,
since I'm almost there, and proceed accordingly.

Thanks,
Bill

Bill[_37_] June 3rd 12 02:12 AM

tiredofspam wrote:

Bill you sound like the generation X kids that need encouragement for
everything they do like even getting up in the morning. Wow great that
you got up... Wow it's great that you screwed four legs on...

How's that Bill? Am I getting better at encouragement?

Awe, you may as well get off that theme. I DO enjoy communicating with
others. Because I find encouragement from the newsgroup (or magazines,
books, etc.), doesn't mean that I am asking you to provide it for me.
Just listening to a musical performance used to inspire me to play my
guitar. Viewing art inspires me to draw. Reading inspires me to think.
It may surprise you that an important part of my profession is
motivating people to think/work. Some kinds of work are 2nd nature to
me, others less so--especially since I got married. : )
You think you work more than me? I will caution you that you have to go
some to do that.

Eric[_15_] June 3rd 12 04:07 AM

"Bill" wrote in message ...

I took a picture and updated my website tonight for anyone who is
curious whether I really ever do any work!

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Cheers,
Bill

====
How many workbenches is that now? Without checking the reflections in
shiny objects, I see three, so far.

Yes, but none with a vise. There is a hollow door on old cabinets (I am
eager to abandon), a 3-legged kitchen table, a $7 (auction) Work-Mate
which doesn't close well but still has been very handy, and my saw
horses. The new one ought to be very handy.

Thank you for observing!

Bill

=========

Haha!

Don't blame your tools!

As long as you're having fun. Sounds like me. Organization freak!
A clean workshop is the sign of a dirty mind. Wait! Well, something like
that?
--

Eric

Eric[_15_] June 3rd 12 04:11 AM

"Bill" wrote in message ...

tiredofspam wrote:

[...]

I think he was hinting about you getting your legs screwed off in the
morning and wanted to hear details??

Any pics?

--

Eric

Eric[_15_] June 3rd 12 04:19 AM

"Bill" wrote in message ...

Swingman wrote:
[...]

==========

I'll second that! All those in favour?
Should we make up an official ballot?

--

Eric

Puckdropper[_2_] June 3rd 12 04:29 AM

Bill wrote in :

[...]

One thing you can try that should be simple and easy is to clamp a 2x on
the stretcher at the proposed distance. Push down on the very end and
see how hard it is to make the bench structure move. You basically have
a lever at that point, although not as simple as described in the
textbooks. *g*

If is doesn't work out, I can reposition the legs outward, without any
modification all all to the long stretchers, without unreasonable
inconvenience, since I'm not planning to glue the top down. I could
make all 4 short aprons out of one 2by4. The inconvenience is dealing
with those square ("Robertson") deck screw heads which my drill is
rough on. Next time aouund I will be seeking deck screws with Torx
heads!!! If anyone else is considering a similar project they would do
well to observe that remark!

It might be worth finding a different bit. The fit between bit and
screw needs to be tight and the bits should fit solidly into the screw.

My experience with the Phillips bits has been that there's a bunch of
bits out there that kinda work ok with Phillips "general purpose" or
"drywall" screws and only 1 or two that really work well with them. I
imagine it's the same for square drive.

Are you predrilling before attempting to drive the screws? It really
does help, even if you're not close to the edge where it's required.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Bill[_37_] June 3rd 12 05:30 AM

Puckdropper wrote:

One thing you can try that should be simple and easy is to clamp a 2x on
the stretcher at the proposed distance. Push down on the very end and
see how hard it is to make the bench structure move. You basically have
a lever at that point, although not as simple as described in the
textbooks. *g*

Yes Puck, I have been thinking about the vertical (downward) vector that
needs to be supported. And, that the distance from the leg (fulcrum) of
the origin of that vector relates directly to the force exerted on the
leg by that vector. So if someone sets something heavy right on the
edge, I wouldn't want the table to break or cartwheel.

So at this point, we have 5" of distance past the fulcrum. I'm curious
to do the experiment you suggested and see what it takes to lift the
back legs off of the ground, or perhaps, break 5" off of the apron (s).
Wagers? ;)

Everyone knows it is easier to push over a longer pole than a shorter
pole. I would expect excessive horizontal force to result in the
screws/wood breaking loose. Intuitively, I think my pole analogy should
apply to the bench, but you have to accept that the force is being
applied at the feet (due to friction?) to make it work. I think this is
correct. I don't claim to be knowledgable about physics. I am just
trying to apply the basic leverage relation.

Cheers,
Bill