Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Multitools

I've got the HF multitool, and it's loud, noisy, and vibrates the whole
tool and not just the bit. I believe this is normal for a tool that cheap,
so I've been wondering if anyone's used the other copies that sell for
around $100.

How well do some of the others work? I'm not inclined to buy a Fein
because of how little I need the HF version.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
I've got the HF multitool, and it's loud, noisy, and vibrates the
whole tool and not just the bit. I believe this is normal for a tool
that cheap, so I've been wondering if anyone's used the other copies
that sell for around $100.

How well do some of the others work? I'm not inclined to buy a Fein
because of how little I need the HF version.

Not a very good answer, but I did use the one we had on display at HD when I
worked there. I'd like to say it was a Bosch, but I'm just not sure. Same
kind of experience. It may just be a quirk of these tools.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Have no fear. The Fein is noisy and vibrates too.
I have tested it.

The Rockwell is quite and smooth I tested that too. But I have the
Dremel I bought it before I tested the Rockwell. Had I known I might
have bought the Rock...

The Fein is just too pricey for my use. Although I have used it quite a
bit more than I thought.

On 5/28/2012 10:36 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
I've got the HF multitool, and it's loud, noisy, and vibrates the whole
tool and not just the bit. I believe this is normal for a tool that cheap,
so I've been wondering if anyone's used the other copies that sell for
around $100.

How well do some of the others work? I'm not inclined to buy a Fein
because of how little I need the HF version.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/28/2012 9:41 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
I've got the HF multitool, and it's loud, noisy, and vibrates the
whole tool and not just the bit. I believe this is normal for a tool
that cheap, so I've been wondering if anyone's used the other copies
that sell for around $100.

How well do some of the others work? I'm not inclined to buy a Fein
because of how little I need the HF version.

Not a very good answer, but I did use the one we had on display at HD when I
worked there. I'd like to say it was a Bosch, but I'm just not sure. Same
kind of experience. It may just be a quirk of these tools.

I have the Bosch version and love it! Handy little tool when you need
to do some precision cutting in close or very close quarters. Works on
the same principle as the medical community's Stryker Saw. Installing
some flooring and had to undercut some existing, installed woodwork.
This is just the ticket. Allows me to sneak right up on the dry wall
without damaging it.

Quick tip for undercutting door jambs as well... Took my Porter Cable
557 Biscuit Cutter and set the blade accordingly. Made quick work of
the door jambs. Quick, clean, cheap!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 28, 9:36*pm, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
I've got the HF multitool, and it's loud, noisy, and vibrates the whole
tool and not just the bit. *I believe this is normal for a tool that cheap,
so I've been wondering if anyone's used the other copies that sell for
around $100.

How well do some of the others work? *I'm not inclined to buy a Fein
because of how little I need the HF version.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Which HF tool do you have? I have their top of line on that retails
for around $70 but is on sale often for $45 which as what I paid. I
know they have one or two below it in price.

I am pretty happy with mine. It makes a strong, audible buss but I
wouldn't call it noisy. It cuts wood better than I ever expected and
the metal blade will take a small screw or nail off quickly. When I
bought mine it was kind of a whim but I have used it quite a bit.

RonB

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote in
:

Which HF tool do you have? I have their top of line on that retails
for around $70 but is on sale often for $45 which as what I paid. I
know they have one or two below it in price.

I am pretty happy with mine. It makes a strong, audible buss but I
wouldn't call it noisy. It cuts wood better than I ever expected and
the metal blade will take a small screw or nail off quickly. When I
bought mine it was kind of a whim but I have used it quite a bit.

RonB

RonB

Just the basic one with the tail. It was one of the cheapest ones.

Every time I use it the noise and excessive vibration (I'm sensitive to
vibration) make me wonder about buying a better tool.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/28/2012 8:52 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in
:

Which HF tool do you have? I have their top of line on that retails
for around $70 but is on sale often for $45 which as what I paid. I
know they have one or two below it in price.

I am pretty happy with mine. It makes a strong, audible buss but I
wouldn't call it noisy. It cuts wood better than I ever expected and
the metal blade will take a small screw or nail off quickly. When I
bought mine it was kind of a whim but I have used it quite a bit.

RonB

RonB

Just the basic one with the tail. It was one of the cheapest ones.

Every time I use it the noise and excessive vibration (I'm sensitive to
vibration) make me wonder about buying a better tool.

Puckdropper

I have the Dremel, mainly because I have an extensive collection of
Dremel tools, all of which have performed well for me over the years in
my model railroad hobby. Haven't used it much, but some, and honestly
don't recall the noise level with it - probably wasn't paying all that
much attention. I do know that it worked well for what I needed done at
the time.

Matt
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/28/2012 10:52 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Just the basic one with the tail. It was one of the cheapest ones.

Every time I use it the noise and excessive vibration (I'm sensitive to
vibration) make me wonder about buying a better tool.

Puckdropper

Just realized I didn't really address your core question regarding the
multitools. I think it's the nature of the beast, Puckdropper. It's
the vibration that makes the tool function so it's pretty hard to do
away with that. If they cushion the tool itself, then the tool, when
held, will be less rigid as it "attacks" the material it's cutting.

Both the tool and the material being cut have to be held somewhat
rigidly in place. If they aren't, you're not going to cut anything,
just mar it a bit.g

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 29, 7:38*am, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:
On 5/28/2012 10:52 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Just the basic one with the tail. *It was one of the cheapest ones.

Every time I use it the noise and excessive vibration (I'm sensitive to
vibration) make me wonder about buying a better tool.

Puckdropper

Just realized I didn't really address your core question regarding the
multitools. *I think it's the nature of the beast, Puckdropper. *It's
the vibration that makes the tool function so it's pretty hard to do
away with that.

I think that is a good point. Frankly I was amazed at how well the
thing took on 2x4's. We built a garden shed a year or so ago and
when I got the roof on and sheeted I spied down the edge of the rafter-
ends and had a few ends protruding out of line just a bit. I was
thinking how fun it was going to be to trim them with a hand saw,
because that was the only tool that would would fit in the tight
quarters. Then I remembered the multitool and figured "what the heck
- worth a try." Approaching from the wide side, the tool buzzed its
way through those 2x's in seconds. I had the entire problem solved
in 10 minutes or so, after marking.

The multitool is one tool I bought with absolutely no apparent need.
I didn't really know what I needed it for but assumed something would
come up. Sure did. In addition to door frame trimming they
advertise, it is useful for all kinds of stuff once you realize its
capability. Quite often it just gets me out of a self imposed jam.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 28, 10:36*pm, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
I've got the HF multitool, and it's loud, noisy, and vibrates the whole
tool and not just the bit. *I believe this is normal for a tool that cheap,
so I've been wondering if anyone's used the other copies that sell for
around $100.

How well do some of the others work? *I'm not inclined to buy a Fein
because of how little I need the HF version.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

When I sold my last business a year ago, all my tools were
included....Except my CNC and a few other tools.
So I had to re-buy some tools I was going to need again. I bought a HF
Multitool and was very happy to get my Fein back when the balance of
the business transaction fell through and I got all my tools back. I
immediately gave the HF away and came to the conclusion that in my
search to replace the Fein, I had played/tried many Multi tools. NONE
come close to the Fein.

That's not some elitist banter but a basic fact. Yes it costs more,
but worth every penny. I actually does what it is supposed to do. And
spending that extra money, buys you a tool you look to use rather than
a tool you're trying to avoid.

My 2¢

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
I've got the HF multitool, and it's loud, noisy, and vibrates the
whole tool and not just the bit. I believe this is normal for a tool
that cheap, so I've been wondering if anyone's used the other copies
that sell for around $100.

How well do some of the others work? I'm not inclined to buy a Fein
because of how little I need the HF version.

Not a very good answer, but I did use the one we had on display at HD when I
worked there. I'd like to say it was a Bosch, but I'm just not sure. Same
kind of experience. It may just be a quirk of these tools.

Quick tip for the vibration on the HF: Try to use it with the blade
at 90 degrees to the workpiece (body parallel) when you can. It can
really reduce the vibration.

I have the Bosch version and love it! Handy little tool when you need
to do some precision cutting in close or very close quarters. Works on
the same principle as the medical community's Stryker Saw. Installing
some flooring and had to undercut some existing, installed woodwork.
This is just the ticket. Allows me to sneak right up on the dry wall
without damaging it.

Quick tip for undercutting door jambs as well... Took my Porter Cable
557 Biscuit Cutter and set the blade accordingly. Made quick work of
the door jambs. Quick, clean, cheap!

Cool.

--
When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake.
-- Stephanie Barron
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 29 May 2012 06:27:45 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
That's not some elitist banter but a basic fact. Yes it costs more,
but worth every penny. I actually does what it is supposed to do. And
spending that extra money, buys you a tool you look to use rather than
a tool you're trying to avoid.

Bah! Admit it. You stole one of Leon's Festool complimentary
paragraphs and replaced every 'Festool' with 'Fein'.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 29 May 2012 03:52:54 +0000, Puckdropper wrote:

Just the basic one with the tail. It was one of the cheapest ones.

Every time I use it the noise and excessive vibration (I'm sensitive to
vibration) make me wonder about buying a better tool.

I bought that one as well. Took it back when the blade kept coming
loose. Was asked if I got it tight. Told him I would have needed
Archimedes lever to get it any tighter. Got a blank look.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/28/2012 10:52 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Just the basic one with the tail. It was one of the cheapest ones.

Every time I use it the noise and excessive vibration (I'm sensitive to
vibration) make me wonder about buying a better tool.

Puckdropper

Just realized I didn't really address your core question regarding the
multitools. I think it's the nature of the beast, Puckdropper. It's the
vibration that makes the tool function so it's pretty hard to do away
with that. If they cushion the tool itself, then the tool, when held,
will be less rigid as it "attacks" the material it's cutting.

Because I own a Fein, I can't say that I agree with perhaps your
speculation. I have never really noticed a vibration that I find
objectionable with the Fein. I am not going to say there is no
vibration, I don't won a tool that does not vibrate to some extent. On
the other hand most that buy the HF model tend to mention the vibration
often. I don't know about HF but the Fein uses a set up of gears
similar to a jigsaw. The HF model may on the other hand work like
electric shears that your barber uses and does simply vibrate.

You get what you pay for.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/29/12 8:27 AM, Robatoy wrote:
And
spending that extra money, buys you a tool you look to use rather than
a tool you're trying to avoid.

My 2¢

*THAT* is the best way I've ever heard that feeling expressed.

I have the HF and for 18 bucks (coupon), I'm thinking of getting another
because they are disposable at that price. But Rob just nailed it (pun).

Every time I think I may need to use it, a little part in the back of my
brain goes through this checklist of other tools/techniques I could try
to accomplish the task without using the HF multi-tool. It's not really
a conscious thought process or maybe it's done in denial, but it's
there. It probably has more to do with the blades than the actual tool.
Blades aside, that thing is very loud and will numb your hands if you
don't wear some padded gloves.

In any case, I'm guessing the Fein is a tool you look for any excuse to
use, not any excuse not to use.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 28, 9:36*pm, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
I've got the HF multitool, and it's loud, noisy, and vibrates the whole
tool and not just the bit. *I believe this is normal for a tool that cheap,
so I've been wondering if anyone's used the other copies that sell for
around $100.

How well do some of the others work? *I'm not inclined to buy a Fein
because of how little I need the HF version.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

I'm now using the Dremel after some problems with the early HF single
speed. I found the HF would not hold the blade for more than a few
seconds, regardless of how hard I cranked down on the allen bolt. I'm
generally pleased with the Dremel, although I don't use it often. But
for those hard to reach little trim jobs, it is fine.

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 29, 2:30*pm, Pat Barber wrote:
On 5/29/2012 6:27 AM, Robatoy wrote:

That's not some elitist banter but a basic fact. Yes it costs more,
but worth every penny. I actually does what it is supposed to do. And
spending that extra money, buys you a tool you look to use rather than
a tool you're trying to avoid.

My 2¢

I have had the older Fein for about 10 years and it remains a excellent
niche tool. It will do things no other tool can do.

That said, the Bosch I have tried seemed to be a VERY similar tool.

The Bosch is as close as it gets, but I still prefer the Fein when
'leaning' into the tool.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
. com...

On 5/28/2012 10:52 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Just the basic one with the tail. It was one of the cheapest ones.

Every time I use it the noise and excessive vibration (I'm sensitive to
vibration) make me wonder about buying a better tool.

Puckdropper

Just realized I didn't really address your core question regarding the
multitools. I think it's the nature of the beast, Puckdropper. It's
the vibration that makes the tool function so it's pretty hard to do
away with that.
If that were the case, jigsaws would all shake. Seeing as only the low end
ones do so, it is not an insurmountable problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article m,
Puckdropper wrote:

Every time I use it the noise and excessive vibration (I'm sensitive to
vibration) make me wonder about buying a better tool.

I've got the Dremel and find that vibration varies with the material
being cut, how sharp the blade I'm using is, and angle of cut (as
C-Less said).

Recently I had to trim some cheap sh*t laminate flooring at some odd
angles and found that my hand muscles actually locked. I was unable to
straighten my thumb from the gripping position.

--
Woodworking and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 29 May 2012 03:52:54 +0000, Puckdropper wrote:

Just the basic one with the tail. It was one of the cheapest ones.

Every time I use it the noise and excessive vibration (I'm sensitive
to vibration) make me wonder about buying a better tool.

I bought that one as well. Took it back when the blade kept coming
loose. Was asked if I got it tight. Told him I would have needed
Archimedes lever to get it any tighter. Got a blank look.

1. Use a lock washer.
2. Employ a longer hex-nut wrench.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/29/2012 11:22 AM, Robatoy wrote:

The Bosch is as close as it gets, but I still prefer the Fein when
'leaning' into the tool.

Yep...it's a really tough tool that is difficult to duplicate.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
I've got the HF multitool, and it's loud, noisy, and vibrates the
whole tool and not just the bit. I believe this is normal for a tool
that cheap, so I've been wondering if anyone's used the other copies
that sell for around $100.

You can spend in the neighborhood of $100 for a Dremel model or similar.
Check your local Craigslist - I see them advertised there from time to time.

Or you can spend fifty cents for ear plugs

Your choice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 29 May 2012 11:22:25 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On May 29, 2:30*pm, Pat Barber wrote:
On 5/29/2012 6:27 AM, Robatoy wrote:

That's not some elitist banter but a basic fact. Yes it costs more,
but worth every penny. I actually does what it is supposed to do. And
spending that extra money, buys you a tool you look to use rather than
a tool you're trying to avoid.

My 2¢

I have had the older Fein for about 10 years and it remains a excellent
niche tool. It will do things no other tool can do.

That said, the Bosch I have tried seemed to be a VERY similar tool.

The Bosch is as close as it gets, but I still prefer the Fein when
'leaning' into the tool.

Robatoy, good point. I have the Fein. If I lean into the tool the
vibration of the "handle" does increase a lot. I find it best to use
less pressure and let the blade do the cutting.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On May 29, 2:30 pm, Pat wrote:
On 5/29/2012 6:27 AM, Robatoy wrote:

That's not some elitist banter but a basic fact. Yes it costs more,
but worth every penny. I actually does what it is supposed to do. And
spending that extra money, buys you a tool you look to use rather than
a tool you're trying to avoid.

My 2¢

I have had the older Fein for about 10 years and it remains a excellent
niche tool. It will do things no other tool can do.

That said, the Bosch I have tried seemed to be a VERY similar tool.

The Bosch is as close as it gets, but I still prefer the Fein when
'leaning' into the tool.

Robatoy, good point. I have the Fein. If I lean into the tool the
vibration of the "handle" does increase a lot. I find it best to use
less pressure and let the blade do the cutting.

The Fein reps told me to move the blade back and forth as if you were
slicing bread.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/28/2012 8:36 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
I've got the HF multitool, and it's loud, noisy, and vibrates the whole
tool and not just the bit. I believe this is normal for a tool that cheap,
so I've been wondering if anyone's used the other copies that sell for
around $100.

How well do some of the others work? I'm not inclined to buy a Fein
because of how little I need the HF version.

Puckdropper

I have the Bosch multitool with the changeable head. I use it more for
sanding than for cutting and I wouldn't be without it.

Max
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On May 29, 2:30 pm, Pat wrote:
[...]

I learned to do that with my HF multifunction tool by playing with it
and seeing that it worked best that way. On vertical cuts, I cut
deepest in the bottom, then work up, letting the sawdust drop as it's
cut. A bit of air keeps the blade cooler and the sawdust out of the
kerf, too, when you're near a compressor.

--
Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice.
-- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Robatoy, good point. I have the Fein. If I lean into the tool the
vibration of the "handle" does increase a lot. I find it best to use
less pressure and let the blade do the cutting.

The Fein reps told me to move the blade back and forth as if you were
slicing bread.

Both are excellent points. ALWAYS let the tool do the work. Leaning
into the work (too much) does little other than heat up and mess up the
blade. I find with the Bosch that a light touch and slowly moving the
blade back and forth works wonders. Really, it's not unlike sawing
through 2x or 4x stock with a handsaw. You always seem to make more
progress "attacking" it in stages. Remove half or so of the stock on an
angle, shift your angle and cur straight across, repeat until you're
through it. YMMV but that's how I recall it (even though it's been a
long time since I attacked anything with a handsaw (but I still own
several)g

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

The thing to understand is that the teeth are close together and have to
be moved more than the tool stroke to keep debris cleared out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Of course. Let the tool do the work. However, when leaning into a
Fein, it keeps on cutting, but doesn't stall the blade even though the
overall experience becomes tingly.
When you 'lean into' a HF...the blade stops and all the vibes go right
to the body. If you want a tool you can 'lean into' get an axe..LOL