Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shopping upright band saw

I want to buy an upright band saw, but don't want to spend an arm and a leg.
I can live with a gently used one. What would a complete stand alone stand
up model with about a 12" throat cost? And what brands would I look for.
I'd like to find a gently used American made, say 10-20 years old.

TIA

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/25/2012 2:22 PM, Steve B wrote:
I want to buy an upright band saw, but don't want to spend an arm and a leg.
I can live with a gently used one. What would a complete stand alone stand
up model with about a 12" throat cost? And what brands would I look for.
I'd like to find a gently used American made, say 10-20 years old.

Where you located--I've a 10" 30+ yr-old Craftsman on a homebrew stand
that is fine for what it is size-wise. I'd only be looking to move it
because I've decided I really want to be able to resaw some sizable
stuff and this doesn't have the capacity height-wise (altho w/ a
suitable blade it'll do anything that can fit in it).

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote in
:

I want to buy an upright band saw, but don't want to spend an arm and
a leg. I can live with a gently used one. What would a complete stand
alone stand up model with about a 12" throat cost? And what brands
would I look for. I'd like to find a gently used American made, say
10-20 years old.

TIA

Steve

Here's what I've got in my saw:
1 HP 14" saw: $350
Cool Blocks: $20
"Zero" Clearance insert $10-20?
Riser Block (Powermatic, but fits Jet): $70
New tension knob & shaft (old one was messed up): $15
Lower brush wheel: $7

So you may be looking at around the $500 mark for 12" capacity and a few
small upgrades. (The blades run around $15-30, but aren't included in
the estimate. You'll probably want a new blade when you buy a saw.)

For comparison, a new Laguna costs around $1500 for something similarly
equipped.

Bonus information: There's quite a bit to a bandsaw and its settings.
It's worth buying a book or two on the subject. The two I have were
written by Mark Duginske and Lonnie Bird. Just do an Amazon Search on
the authors names and the books will come up.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/25/2012 9:48 PM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message ...

Where you located--I've a 10" 30+ yr-old Craftsman ...

SW Utah.

Oh, yeah, I recall that now...used to service online coal analyzers at
various mines/coal-fired plants there; particularly Huntington Station
on Huntington River at end of canyon. It's about 30 mi or so SW of
Price. Always arranged to have a weekend to play somewhere out there
when went.

Anyway, too far from SW KS to be worth the shipping unless you have
trouble locating anything else which seems as though would be highly
unlikely if have at least a modicum of patience.

Posted to rec.woodworking

SW Utah.

Using Cedar City as reference, the closest I can find one is in
Riverside, Ca. near LA, 6 hours away. http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucitsrh/
The picture is distorted. Google the model to find a better pic.

You might can find one on Craigslist. Las Vegas has several on their
list, but not sure these are what you're looking for.
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/searc...inAsk=&maxAsk=

I see there is a military or other govt base just NW of Las Vegas.
Keep an eye out on this auction site: http://www.govliquidation.com/

There were 2 available in Las Vegas back in February:
http://www.irsauctions.com/popups/bi...KLBKG&id=15695
and
http://www.irsauctions.com/popups/bi...2R5SS&id=15690

There's been several IRS (Industrial Recovery Services) sales in
Nevada and Utah over the past year. Keep an eye out on that site,
also.

And there's the AuctionZip website. There should be tools, at times,
at local auctions near you. Use AuctionZip to locate them.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/25/2012 12:22 PM, Steve B wrote:
I want to buy an upright band saw, but don't want to spend an arm and a leg.
I can live with a gently used one. What would a complete stand alone stand
up model with about a 12" throat cost? And what brands would I look for.
I'd like to find a gently used American made, say 10-20 years old.

TIA

Steve

I would look for a Delta or Powermatic 14" .

I would "try" to find something in the 1960-1970 time
frame. Most 14" band saws are a direct descendent of the
Delta 28-200.

They started making these machines in 1930's.

There are NO parts that you can not currently buy for any
of the 28-xxx machines that I have ever heard of.

They are readily available on CL or Ebay.

There are others but the 28-2XX remains the every day machine
for a lot of shops.

I know a few guys on owwm.org who do nothing but collect (Delta) band saws.

I lean toward Delta because of the parts availability.