Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I owe a debt of grattitude to one of you.

I don't remember who it was who mentioned Charles Niel's video on
controlling tear out using the scalloping technique.

But just a few minutes ago I routed some maple that had the grain going
in the wrong direction. Instead of climb cutting I tried the scalloping
technique. AWESOME. Both stiles were chamfered using the scallop then
cleanup routine. I had left a lambs tongue at both ends and no tear
out.. easy clean... WOW!!!!

Thank you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/8/12 12:36 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
I don't remember who it was who mentioned Charles Niel's video on
controlling tear out using the scalloping technique.

But just a few minutes ago I routed some maple that had the grain going
in the wrong direction. Instead of climb cutting I tried the scalloping
technique. AWESOME. Both stiles were chamfered using the scallop then
cleanup routine. I had left a lambs tongue at both ends and no tear
out.. easy clean... WOW!!!!

Thank you.

Link?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/8/2012 1:05 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/8/12 12:36 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
I don't remember who it was who mentioned Charles Niel's video on
controlling tear out using the scalloping technique.

But just a few minutes ago I routed some maple that had the grain going
in the wrong direction. Instead of climb cutting I tried the scalloping
technique. AWESOME. Both stiles were chamfered using the scallop then
cleanup routine. I had left a lambs tongue at both ends and no tear
out.. easy clean... WOW!!!!

Link?

He calls is "bump cutting":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l4suyL84-w

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/8/2012 1:26 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Thanks, I didn't have the post anymore, so I couldn't remember what the
link was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l4suyL84-w

One of those benefits from late night browsing of non-UseNet headers on
an RSS feed.

LOL ... surprised I disremembered it.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/8/2012 1:05 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 5/8/12 12:36 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
I don't remember who it was who mentioned Charles Niel's video on
controlling tear out using the scalloping technique.

But just a few minutes ago I routed some maple that had the grain going
in the wrong direction. Instead of climb cutting I tried the scalloping
technique. AWESOME. Both stiles were chamfered using the scallop then
cleanup routine. I had left a lambs tongue at both ends and no tear
out.. easy clean... WOW!!!!

Link?

He calls is "bump cutting":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l4suyL84-w

Thanks. I've always done that but never seem to remember to do it until
I have a big chip-out! Now I have a name to call it to go along with the
swearing at myself. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

The Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act and Debt Cancellation Ablang Home Ownership 3 March 13th 10 03:37 PM
DECLARE WAR ON DEBT okrpt1 Home Repair 1 February 19th 08 07:04 PM
Debt vs GDP Joseph2K Electronic Schematics 0 February 16th 08 05:26 AM
Dead Car Debt Stuart Home Ownership 5 April 3rd 07 04:33 PM
Credit Debt - What to do first? Billy Joan Kane Home Ownership 8 June 26th 05 03:18 PM