Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Online deal on Irwin Quick Grips?

Anybody know where to get a decent deal on Irwin Quick Grips?

I see IRWIN SET150 at Amazon for 52.69 (free slow shipping).

http://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-SET150-6...cm_rdp_product

Another at Home Depot that's touted as being better than at
Amazon, but seems to me that it is all mini clamps, that it does
not include two standard size clamps that the Amazon deal
apparently does include.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

Thanks.

--
Feel free to snip the links.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

eBay
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, May 5, 2012 12:45:05 AM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
Anybody know where to get a decent deal on Irwin Quick Grips?

I see IRWIN SET150 at Amazon for 52.69 (free slow shipping).

http://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-SET150-6...cm_rdp_product

Another at Home Depot that's touted as being better than at
Amazon, but seems to me that it is all mini clamps, that it does
not include two standard size clamps that the Amazon deal
apparently does include.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

Thanks.

--
Feel free to snip the links.

I wouldn't count on those quick grips for serious clamp ups. You really need F style clamps. YMMV

RP
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Doe" wrote in message ...

Anybody know where to get a decent deal on Irwin Quick Grips?

I see IRWIN SET150 at Amazon for 52.69 (free slow shipping).

http://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-SET150-6...cm_rdp_product

Another at Home Depot that's touted as being better than at
Amazon, but seems to me that it is all mini clamps, that it does
not include two standard size clamps that the Amazon deal
apparently does include.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

================================================== ==================================
Don't know of any deals but the with one from
Amazon, the two hand clamps are totally worthles.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/5/12 1:22 PM, CW wrote:
Don't know of any deals but the with one from
Amazon, the two hand clamps are totally worthles.

Yes, they are. The little return springs fall out. Plus, they are very
weak and awkward.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

The all metal Jorgensen style clamps are a lot more versatile and durable
than the plastic-jaw clamps.

The plastic-jaw quick clamps that I have (Irwin & generic) are barely
adequate for most holding tasks I tried them on.. not even very good at
clamping glued wood joints.
The screw on the Jorgensen allows/makes a much better grip and clamping
force than a trigger-pull latch mechanism, IME.

I saw a neat modification recently for Jorgensen clamps recently.. drill and
counterbore the wooden handle to accept SHCS socket head cap screws so the
clamp screw can be tight/loosened with a hex wrench.
The hex wrench method allows the clamps to be used where hand tightening of
the screw may not be easy or convenient.
The screws can be held in place by epoxy and optionally, threads can be
tapped for the SHCS screws.

--
WB

"John Doe" wrote in message
Anybody know where to get a decent deal on Irwin Quick Grips?

I see IRWIN SET150 at Amazon for 52.69 (free slow shipping).

http://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-SET150-6...cm_rdp_product

Another at Home Depot that's touted as being better than at
Amazon, but seems to me that it is all mini clamps, that it does
not include two standard size clamps that the Amazon deal
apparently does include.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

Thanks.

--
Feel free to snip the links.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-SET150-6.../B00008WFT9/re...

Another at Home Depot that's touted as being better than at
Amazon, but seems to me that it is all mini clamps, that it does
not include two standard size clamps that the Amazon deal
apparently does include.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...ProductDisplay...

Thanks.

--
Feel free to snip the links.

I've seen this HD package in the store. It does indeed have two 6" and
two 12" bar clamps, plus four other throw-ins that don't look too
useful. Still, it contains all of the clamps in the Amazon kit for a
lot less money. In fact, this package costs less in the store than
another package that contains only the two 12" clamps.

As for the usefulness of these clamps, I have found them extremely
convenient. I am more of a home handyman than a woodworker, and the
ability to position and tighten these clamps with one hand has saved
my behind in any number of situations. They are not without their
disadvantages; If you're standing on level ground, have two hands to
apply a clamp or (cue angelic music) a helper, other clamp types might
perform better. But I wouldn't be without a few of these.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Greg Guarino gdguarino gmail.com wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Anybody know where to get a decent deal on Irwin Quick Grips?

I see IRWIN SET150 at Amazon for 52.69 (free slow shipping).

http://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-SET150-6.../B00008WFT9/re...

Another at Home Depot that's touted as being better than at
Amazon, but seems to me that it is all mini clamps, that it does
not include two standard size clamps that the Amazon deal
apparently does include.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...ProductDisplay...

I've seen this HD package in the store. It does indeed have two
6" and two 12" bar clamps, plus four other throw-ins that don't
look too useful. Still, it contains all of the clamps in the
Amazon kit for a lot less money.

But apparently the Home Depot set includes all mini clamps. The
12" clamps are the same "mini" size as the 6" clamps. The Amazon
deal apparently includes larger standard size 12" clamps.

--

In fact, this package costs less in the store than
another package that contains only the two 12" clamps.

As for the usefulness of these clamps, I have found them extremely
convenient. I am more of a home handyman than a woodworker, and the
ability to position and tighten these clamps with one hand has saved
my behind in any number of situations. They are not without their
disadvantages; If you're standing on level ground, have two hands to
apply a clamp or (cue angelic music) a helper, other clamp types might
perform better. But I wouldn't be without a few of these.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 5 May 2012 17:37:10 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

The all metal Jorgensen style clamps are a lot more versatile and durable
than the plastic-jaw clamps.

The plastic-jaw quick clamps that I have (Irwin & generic) are barely
adequate for most holding tasks I tried them on.. not even very good at
clamping glued wood joints.
The screw on the Jorgensen allows/makes a much better grip and clamping
force than a trigger-pull latch mechanism, IME.

There are several different models of the Irwin Quick Clamps. The smaller
ones aren't worth much but the heavier duty (XL600?) model is pretty good. I
have a couple of dozen of both the larger Irwins (and a pile of the smaller
ones) and Bessey parallel jaw clamps. I always reach for the Irwins first.
They're far faster to apply than the Besseys and it seems I'm always in a rush
when the glue is drying. ;-)

I saw a neat modification recently for Jorgensen clamps recently.. drill and
counterbore the wooden handle to accept SHCS socket head cap screws so the
clamp screw can be tight/loosened with a hex wrench.
The hex wrench method allows the clamps to be used where hand tightening of
the screw may not be easy or convenient.
The screws can be held in place by epoxy and optionally, threads can be
tapped for the SHCS screws.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm truly amazed that you guys all think the 6 and 12 inch mini's are
useless. I have been using the 6" for years.

They won't pull the force of a bigger clamp but they do the job. They hold.

I have larger 24" bessey's and IMHO the Irwin's are better. Mini or
Standard. They just work better. I can hit the release and have them
slide into position, or I can push them without releasing. The bessey's
always require the release button. No pushing them...

On 5/5/2012 9:06 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 5 May 2012 17:37:10 -0400,
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 06 May 2012 10:55:54 -0400, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:

I'm truly amazed that you guys all think the 6 and 12 inch mini's are
useless. I have been using the 6" for years.

It depends on the models. The lighter Irwins aren't very strong and the rails
bend quite a bit (throwing the jaws out of parallel). The "mini" clamps are
totally useless (couldn't pinch my finger in them). The "XL" series is pretty
good, but more expensive than even Besseys.

They won't pull the force of a bigger clamp but they do the job. They hold.

Their jaws are also not parallel when fully clamped. Sometimes that matters.
If you're gluing, quite a bit of force is needed. Irwins really aren't up to
the job.

I have larger 24" bessey's and IMHO the Irwin's are better. Mini or
Standard. They just work better. I can hit the release and have them
slide into position, or I can push them without releasing. The bessey's
always require the release button. No pushing them...

Again, I have a large variety of both, from 12" to 48" (and smaller Irwins). I
generally reach for the Irwins first, to do the initial clamping, then add the
Besseys for better clamping.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Well, I guess we use clamps differently.

My 6" are parallel enough. I have both Irwin and the predecessor
American Clamp Co. (I think.. black).

I don't bend the bars, because I don't put that much pressure on the
mini Irwins. They still clamp great.

When I need more force I use an F clamp, when I need a bigger clamp, I
use my Big Besseys, Cabinet Masters, Aluminum bar clamps, pipe clamps, c
clamps.
No need to bend the bar on my little 6"..

The little X type clamp is useless. I use spring clamps instead. But to
say the minis are useless, I can't agree.. They have their place and are
my usual go to clamp to quickly get something held together. I then add
other clamps as needed.

On 5/6/2012 11:12 AM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

On 5/5/2012 9:06 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 5 May 2012 17:37:10 -0400,
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Ok, maybe not as parallel.
The old American Tool Co clamp is parallel.
The new one is not and neither is the bessey.

See http://i.imgur.com/x5EBL.jpg w/ Pads
http://i.imgur.com/xXBJL.jpg W/O pads

On 5/6/2012 3:31 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
[...]

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 5 May 2012 17:37:10 -0400,

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 06 May 2012 15:31:37 -0400, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:

Well, I guess we use clamps differently.

My 6" are parallel enough. I have both Irwin and the predecessor
American Clamp Co. (I think.. black).

I don't bend the bars, because I don't put that much pressure on the
mini Irwins. They still clamp great.

If you don't put pressure on them, they don't clamp great. ;-) I've used
them when putting up molding. For that, not much pressure is needed but other
times I need a *lot* more than they'll deliver. They mostly go unused.

When I need more force I use an F clamp, when I need a bigger clamp, I
use my Big Besseys, Cabinet Masters, Aluminum bar clamps, pipe clamps, c
clamps.
No need to bend the bar on my little 6"..

You don't do much gluing, right?

The little X type clamp is useless. I use spring clamps instead. But to
say the minis are useless, I can't agree.. They have their place and are
my usual go to clamp to quickly get something held together. I then add
other clamps as needed.

They make good paper clips, though a bit large.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 06 May 2012 17:02:13 -0400, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:

Ok, maybe not as parallel.
The old American Tool Co clamp is parallel.
The new one is not and neither is the bessey.

??

My Bessey Parellel Clamps are.

See http://i.imgur.com/x5EBL.jpg w/ Pads

Pit pressure on them and the bow out the other way. How much depends on how
the pressure (obviously) and how far apart they are, since the rails flex.

[...]

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 5 May 2012 17:37:10 -0400,

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

I do a hell of a lot of gluing. I just don't find the need to go further
with them. If I do I add either K body or F clamps.

With close to 200 clamps I can choose what's right for the job. I still
stand by my statement that the 6" mini is a decent clamp. Your
contention that it is useless is overstated.

On 5/6/2012 7:28 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 06 May 2012 22:00:54 -0400, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:

I do a hell of a lot of gluing. I just don't find the need to go further
with them. If I do I add either K body or F clamps.

With close to 200 clamps I can choose what's right for the job. I still
stand by my statement that the 6" mini is a decent clamp. Your
contention that it is useless is overstated.

I suppose, if you're a model airplane builder...

BTW, top-posting sucks.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , tiredofspam
says...

I do a hell of a lot of gluing. I just don't find the need to go further
with them. If I do I add either K body or F clamps.

With close to 200 clamps I can choose what's right for the job. I still
stand by my statement that the 6" mini is a decent clamp. Your
contention that it is useless is overstated.

Yep. It's a matter of the right tool for the job. The big advantage of
the mini and all the clamps of similar design is that they work one-
handed--I can hold something in place with one hand and put the clamp on
it with the other. Then that holds things together while I sock down
the screw clamps that need two hands.

It's also just the right size and force to stick a stop block onto my
RAS fence or router fence or crosscut sled.

Very handy clamps.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

John wrote:

Anybody know where to get a decent deal on Irwin Quick Grips?

I see IRWIN SET150 at Amazon for 52.69 (free slow shipping).

http://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-SET150-6.../B00008WFT9/re...

Another at Home Depot that's touted as being better than at
Amazon, but seems to me that it is all mini clamps, that it does
not include two standard size clamps that the Amazon deal
apparently does include.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...ProductDisplay...

I've seen this HD package in the store. It does indeed have two
6" and two 12" bar clamps, plus four other throw-ins that don't
look too useful. Still, it contains all of the clamps in the
Amazon kit for a lot less money.

But apparently the Home Depot set includes all mini clamps. The
12" clamps are the same "mini" size as the 6" clamps. The Amazon
deal apparently includes larger standard size 12" clamps.

The ad doesn't make it easy to tell, but you may be right. Depends what
you use them for, I guess. I have six of the "mini" 6" and three of what
you are referring to as the "standard" size - two 24" and one 6". I find
myself using the mini 6" ones very frequently, whenever I need a third
fourth or fifth hand. Here's photo of them "in action"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...4857/lightbox/

I was gluing up a custom filler piece for my kitchen cabinets. The
ability to position and tighten these with one hand really comes in handy.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

John wrote:

[...]

The inch measurement is just the length of the bar. Clamp size
and model determines how much force it can apply. There is a big
difference between the mini clamps in the standard size clamp,
especially if the standard size clamp is the newer SL300 or the
XP600.

I find them very useful too. Besides tightening, everything else
they do can be done one-handed. Makes for quick work. And they
keep my forearms in shape

--

I find
myself using the mini 6" ones very frequently, whenever I need a third
fourth or fifth hand. Here's photo of them "in action"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...4857/lightbox/

I was gluing up a custom filler piece for my kitchen cabinets. The
ability to position and tighten these with one hand really comes in handy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

For quick-grip style clamps take a look at gasp Craftsman. I prefer theirs to any others I've used including Jorgy, Irwin, Penn State (ugh) and probably a few others. I almost never use quick-grips for glue-ups though, as they tend to want to pull things out of alignment and haven't the force I prefer. But I use them in some way every single day I'd wager.
JP
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking

Well, I was 25 years ago not any more. I scratch built planes and wound
up in the front row at the Nationals. But I have been building
furniture, and other things for over 35 years. With a short break in
between.

Now if that bothers you. The technique for building both is the same.
Tight joints, good design. How many of your pieces have withstood
vibration, heavy G forces, and hard landings. And a finishing technique
second to none.